TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

@60somethingsusa , do you use the gummies for moderate pain? Do they take it away completely or just take the edge off? Also, do you recommend a brand, or do you buy local?
I know I need to consult with my MD before adding anything to my regime.
Thank you :)
Hi Gingerbread, Yes, I used them for moderate pain, in conjunction with Tylenol/ibuprofen.(I only took a total of 8 -. 2mg.dilaudid, in the early days.) I found that the CBD was quite effective, no, it didn't totally relieve pain(I don't think anything would).It also created relaxation, which was so helpful. I chose not to use THC, cause I only wanted pain relief, not euphoria.I buy local.,shops are popping up everywhere, now that's it's legal here in Canada. I made my surgeon aware at 6 week visit.He said some of his patients are using C.B.D gummies.

@60somethingsusa , do you use the gummies for moderate pain? Do they take it away completely or just take the edge off? Also, do you recommend a brand, or do you buy local?
I know I need to consult with my MD before adding anything to my regime.
Thank you :)
Hi Gingerbread, Yes, I used them for moderate pain, in conjunction with Tylenol/ibuprofen.(I only took a total of 8 -. 2mg.dilaudid, in the early days.) I found that the CBD was quite effective, no, it didn't totally relieve pain(I don't think anything would).It also created relaxation, which was so helpful. I chose not to use THC, cause I only wanted pain relief, not euphoria.I buy local.,shops are popping up everywhere, now that's it's legal here in Canada. I made my surgeon aware at 6 week visit.He said some of his patients are using C.B.D gummies.
That's good to know. Yeah, I don't want to feel "high", especially going back to work on the 23rd (I work from home and still am wondering how I will manage 8 hours at a desk back at the stress level I maintained). Something to help take the edge off will be nice. I do drink Holy Basil tea when highly stressed at work (which is honestly 100% of the time now) and it is somewhat relaxing. I know if I can't manage the pain I'll be useless at my job. So we shall see.

Has anyone gone back full time to work at 4 weeks post op? I'll be working from home but the thought of trying to work a full 8 hours (always more, I'm salaried & the work has just piled up since I left) is terrifying. I can't bring my laptop into bed because I need my keyboard and separate monitor to do my work. Any suggestions? Thank you everyone!

I went back to work at week 3, working from home - almost full time, but I had to adjust my expectations to my stamina. I set up a chair and ottoman, with my external monitor on a table next to the ottoman, and my laptop on an improvised lapdesk (with a pillow underneath to cushion it on my leg/knee - I'm definitely buying an actual lapdesk thing before the next surgery). That set up was OK, but I also needed to get up every hour or so to walk around and stretch. Otherwise I would stiffen up a lot.

Although the work has piled up, don't try to work a full 8hrs or more for the first week. Really, the work will still be there. I had a mountain of work to do, and really had to just chill out about it and not worry the first couple of weeks back. I was so tired in the afternoons that I wasn't really effective anyway. The first couple of days I pushed it, then realized that I spent the next morning checking my work because I was making errors due to being so tired and out of it. That was not worth it.

I went back to work at week 3, working from home - almost full time, but I had to adjust my expectations to my stamina. I set up a chair and ottoman, with my external monitor on a table next to the ottoman, and my laptop on an improvised lapdesk (with a pillow underneath to cushion it on my leg/knee - I'm definitely buying an actual lapdesk thing before the next surgery). That set up was OK, but I also needed to get up every hour or so to walk around and stretch. Otherwise I would stiffen up a lot.

Although the work has piled up, don't try to work a full 8hrs or more for the first week. Really, the work will still be there. I had a mountain of work to do, and really had to just chill out about it and not worry the first couple of weeks back. I was so tired in the afternoons that I wasn't really effective anyway. The first couple of days I pushed it, then realized that I spent the next morning checking my work because I was making errors due to being so tired and out of it. That was not worth it.
I agree with you about the work. I will do what I can do. When you said you spent the next morning checking your work due to making errors; that sounds exactly like something I would do! I'll take it easy.
Thank you for the suggestions.:)

Yes, definitely an ottoman with a pillow on top for your leg. Make sure to get up often and if you can try to ease into it rather than jumping into a full 8 hour day. Your knee isn't going to like being bent for very long at a desk.......especially for a few months yet.

Yes, definitely an ottoman with a pillow on top for your leg. Make sure to get up often and if you can try to ease into it rather than jumping into a full 8 hour day. Your knee isn't going to like being bent for very long at a desk.......especially for a few months yet.
Thank you @Susie-Q. I was getting up often as it is (while working) but the sad thing is I was able to take my 10 & 1/2 year old dog for daily morning walks too..he hasn't had those since my surgery :(. We both miss those terribly. Something I'm looking forward to for sure as is my doggy ( he was happy when Covid made his Mom work from home)

Yes, I will miss my daily walk with my doggy too. Hoping the rest of my family will walk her at least once a day.

I hope you can start walking your doggy soon! :doggie:

Thank you @Susie-Q. I was getting up often as it is (while working) but the sad thing is I was able to take my 10 & 1/2 year old dog for daily morning walks too..he hasn't had those since my surgery :(. We both miss those terribly. Something I'm looking forward to for sure as is my doggy ( he was happy when Covid made his Mom work from home)
The day we can finally walk our fur babies is definitely a joyous day in recovery!

Well here it is 2:20 a.m.
I had to take an Oxycodone at 11 & again at 1:30 but the pain is only mitigated. I did all my PT exercises yesterday plus a 5 minute walk in the yard. I haven't been doing the PT exercises daily & noticed that has made a small difference in nighttime pain ( last night I only needed one Oxycodone ).
I go up and down 13 stairs about 4-5 times daily also.
Is this too much movement? Am I not moving enough?
This is so awful because when I was actively working on the rehab floors I was so confident in telling my patients what they needed to hear. Yet I cannot for the life of me figure out what I need to nurse myself back to health.
Any and all input is appreciated.

I think that is too much going up and down stairs this early in your recovery. I'd suggest you only do stairs once a day if possible. Only add more as you see how you tolerate it. It will take at least a couple of days of doing something differently before you can tell.

PT early on can cause more pain and swelling which is going to increase your pain, particularly at night. ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) are plenty of activity for new knees. Try skipping the PT exercises and see if your night pain goes down over the next few days. Lots of major trauma in that poor knee, it needs time to heal before it trains.

Congratulations on that new granddaughter. I've had both knees replaced now, the latest was August 11th so I'm 5 days out now. The recovery seems a bit tougher than my first but I am improving. I've read your posts and just wanted to let you know I feel for you. I'm also battling a bit of depression, it's no fun being tied to a recliner for weeks on end, but hopefully time will go by quickly. Marijuana is legal in Virginia now and I find it quite helpful in the late afternoon, so I'm not wrecked all day long. I would also recommend calling your MD and getting a script for Ambien, the sleep aid. I take a 5mg oxy at 8pm and an Ambien at 10pm and I get maybe 5 hours of decent sleep. I also find a little thigh massaging with Arnica massage oil is helpful. Hang in there sport, things always get better and as they say time heals all wounds.

Hi! I had RTKR July 22. May I be added to this forum thread? Having a rough go of it. I'm only 49. This was years coming; I'm a former runner and nurse with valgus deformity and pretty bad scoliosis, trying to take it day by day.
I understand how you feel! I am also a former marathon runner but at 71, a lot older than you. I'm about to the 6 week mark and I can tell you I was MISERABLE through week 3, then it started to get less awful. I think in this case it really is a question of time passing. I suffered terrible nausea and GI issues started about 3 weeks in, probably from all the antibiotics and pain meds. You will feel better, it's just way harder than I thought it would be.

Thank you @kneeper , @FCBayern and @Daveboy1810 for your suggestions. I do think I've been doing a lot but then I always feel it's never enough.
As far as medical marijuana, I am in NY so it's legal here also. I think I'll try CBD products first once I'm off the Oxycodone.
Hopefully I won't need those for long but as always, the nights are brutal! I tried doing some work yesterday (real work for my job) and it took me literally 4 times as long to complete due to the mental fog and of course uncomfortable position at the desk. Not looking forward to next week. Ugh

It's very early to be attempting going back to work - even if it is from home. And you have seen why. The concentration is just not there in the early days of recovery. And your sleep problems add to this. Please consider waiting awhile before starting back to work.

It's very early to be attempting going back to work - even if it is from home. And you have seen why. The concentration is just not there in the early days of recovery. And your sleep problems add to this. Please consider waiting awhile before starting back to work.
I wish I could wait but I do not have any more PTO/sick time available.
I go to my surgeon tomorrow who I'm sure would give me an extension so I could get Short Term Disability (which is a pittance, but it's something).
We shall see.

Good luck with your appointment, Gingerbread. It does sound like you need more time before going back to work full time. I also agree that that many times up and down the stairs every day is probably too much at this stage. Good luck, positive thoughts and prayers.....

I too am flummoxed by my needs. I seem to have encouragement and wisdom for patients. We can't seem to apply our nursing skills on ourselves and instead we flounder, at least mentally.

Thank you @Susie-Q & @maryo52, @Jaycey & @Reader525.
Headed to PT now.
Been making strides and I won't let them push my knee to the point of pain. My hubby suggested I stop them before they even get close to my stopping point. Great idea! So what if they think I've regressed...sure...I know I'm moving ahead just fine, on my own terms :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft