THR Gimpy Gal post op!

You have a great attitude and that’s important for healing from Surgery.At first it’s a bit of a misery . In a few weeks this will pass as you become stronger . Take is slow and easy ice and keep leg up. Stay ahead of the healing pain .. on a pain med schedule . watch a few good movies a good distraction.
nice job on the chocolate ... that’s the best part.

My great attitude (thanks hippie life) is taking a bit of a hit. Had a great morning, then at lunch looked down and I was covered in blood again from my waist to my thigh. Surgeon saw me right away. First time this happened a couple of days ago he discovered a weak stitch had given way. He taped it well and put pressure bandages on it since my seroma found that a great exit for drainage, but it busted through again.

The seroma isn't really a problem. Once confined it will be absorbed by my body, but of course we don't want an open wound so today he stitched me up again, forbade showers, bandaged it well and put me on antibiotics. I'm terrified of an infection and he mentioned it's always a concern of his, too, but that does not mean it will happen to me.

Feeling so good otherwise. Kicked my PT to the curb again for the second time but she wouldn't start me on anything once she saw the blood storm and insisted I call the surgeon right then and there instead of waiting until she left. At least that proved I wasn't just putting off PT, right? It was almost amusing 'cause I don't think she was very comfortable with blood.

Both days I had to run to the surgeon my poor husband had just come home from a lengthy skin cancer removal. Wasn't sedated either time so still okay to drive but I sure added to his stress. He picked up my Rx, but I forgot about that CHOCOLATE! We both deserve chocolate.

Hope you managed to get Chocolate before the weekend.
Much better than PT these early days.
Sorry you both have had it tough
You are in charge of your recovery so make sure you don't do anything you aren't comfortable with and feel is causing you discomfort.
Hope your weekend is Sweet.

Thanks Mojo for replying.

Today for the third try (the other two tries were thwarted with my problem with the incision) I finally had PT. I laid my philosophy right on the table to start - I was agreeing to only minimal exercises that did not add to my pain. And we appear to be on the same page. She took away several of the exercises I came home from the hospital with and modified others. We both agreed to stay away from any exercises that might put strain on my stitches. It's all good. One is just standing in a corner on two feet close together working on balance.

She clarified how to evaluate my walking after each little outside walk and to change only one thing at a time to identify exactly what might aggravate me the next day. For example add distance OR add a second walk, but don't do both 'cause you won't know which is causing any additional pain. Doesn't want more than one short walk now anyway, but that's good advice moving forward.

So, it was a better day. No blood baths was a nice touch.

Been following your adventures, and so glad the sernoma resolved. I had my second hip done, same date as yours (first was July 13th). I too, had a terrible time getting the log leg into bed. Tried the belt first night home, with only partial success. My nephew (not a kid, in his 30's) lives with me, and he had to help. Luckily, PT came day after arriving home from the first surgery, and taught me a wonderful trick that served me well. I have crutches, not a walker, and he had me turn the crutch around, put my foot on the part where the arm usually goes, and then I use the crutch as a splint to lift the leg up, worked amazingly well. I thought I would instantly be fine this second time around, but the first day it was still nearly impossible, but did improve quickly, and by the second day, it was working and the starting excruciating moments reduced greatly. And as for the TED stockings, can't imagine doing them myself, my nephew takes them on and off for me. Still, was so glad to stop wearing them the first time, and can't wait to be done with them this time. I believe you have a walker, not crutches, but if you can get a crutch, it can help a lot more than a belt. Good luck to you, in this continuing recovery journey.

@Beacat - all of that is very helpful! I will have to remember the crutch trick if and when (probably when) I have my second hip done. I'm to the point now where I can handle getting that leg into bed under my own power. It's uncomfortable, but no longer so bad I end up crying out during the effort.

I shouldn't admit someone jogged my memory (after my doc said I didn't need the TED hose anymore) that I actually had compression stockings with a zipper right here that would have made my life so much easier, and probably my weak stitch would not have given way with the bending and pulling effort. The darn things were in with my travel stuff, not my health stuff so out of sight, out of mind. I honestly feel like a fool for not remembering them. They are infinitely easier to get on and off than the hospital ones.

I hope you are doing well with your second hip - how nice to have both of those surgeries behind you.

Thanks, I love the crutch trick! And I did not know zipper stockings existed. Only about ten days to go, so will continue on. And yes, it is good to have both hips done. Should be interesting, to see how recovery goes. I expect the second one will catch up to the first one soon enough, and then they will recover more in tandem.

So, it was a better day. No blood baths was a nice touch.

Oh my word that sounds so awful! Thankfully the wound is cooperating and on the mend.

I actually had compression stockings with a zipper right here that would have made my life so much easier,

News to me! I need to research this for others.
I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

@GimpyGal

Moving along here. Yesterday the pain was up a bit so I dialed back. Today it's about the same so less is more again.

My concern now is that I'm on a Cpap and my AHI has soared from a normal 4-5 to a 28. Which keeping it in extremely simple terms means I'm not getting good sleep at all. I know anesthesia could be the reason and also the Tramadol and also being forced to sleep on my back, but I'm a little worried about it. I think I'm getting fairly close to giving up the Tramadol and I may see how that goes tonight and if it makes a difference. At some point I need to try that anyway, right?

If that makes no difference, I guess a call to my sleep doctor is in order.

Today, no plans other than some gentle PT, a simple dinner, and binge watching some mindless TV. Possibly a short (er) walk outside.

:hi: Hi and Happy Sunday @GimpyGal

I am sorry you’re struggling with sleep. I’m sure it’s a bit distressing. Wondering if you’ve ever tried or considered Magnesium? I’ll leave some info for you to look over along with wishes for a good nights sleep tonight! :sleeep:

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

@GimpyGal just catching up on your thread. Are you still having a higher AHI than normal? I do know, being a fellow CPAPer that when sleeping on your back you will have more events than other sleep positions. I had a wedge type pillow that I used to help elevate my upper body so I wasn't flat on my back. Think I got it at Wal-Mart for under $20, made a difference with multiple things, including giving my back a break. Plus flopping around trying to get comfortable will up your numbers as well. Hoping it levels out for you.
d19627c7-881d-416e-877e-b7d95ea84d4a_1.aa6030b8d4a9c6dc47eacf1935e15a5a.jpeg

Thanks, @Layla and @Elf1 for dropping in. I intend to ask my surgeon about the Magnesium on Thursday at my post-op, just because he's ever so cautious about supplements. In the time being, I've checked out magnesium rich foods for the short term.

Tomorrow is my three week mark. I'm doing well except for solving the problem of sleep. Insomnia is relentless. I haven't been taking the Tramadol at night the past few nights (because I feel I don't need it and yes, it messed big time with my AHI) and that's when sleeping became nearly impossible. While I don't think I've developed a dependency on it in just three weeks, I half suspect my sleep woes are related to not having it in my system as insomnia is listed as a withdrawal symptom.

I'm on the cusp of dropping Tramadol during the day so instead of quitting cold turkey I feel it wouldn't hurt to tamper off today and take just half the dosage. It's Sunday, after all so unless I have other pressing concerns I'll spare my surgeon the phone call. He's in surgery Monday so I can call the office then, or wait until Tuesday if I still have concerns. Meanwhile I feel like the walking dead.

Sorry you're still not sleeping right, unfortunately it is something that a lot of us had during recovery too. Know it doesn't make you feel any better but at least you're not alone. :friends:

:console2:I had a real issue with sleeping for many months post op.
It was one of the things I was so looking forward to as I was terribly sleep deprived pre surgery.
I honestly gave up trying so hard to stay in bed all night and did
an awful lot of napping as I iced and elevated in my recliner which kept me from being completely without sleep.
I puttered about at night as sometimes my legs just wanted to get up and move some.
It finally got sorted but I never really pinned down if it was due to medications, restless legs, interruption of circadian rhythm :shrug:
There is the recovery article on sleep deprivation and it's causes...but mostly it took time for me to reset.:bored:
Hope it resolves quicker for you.

Sleeping pre and post surgery was my issue also. I finally found that listening to an easy audio book helped. I did not always sleep but at least I would relax and get lost in the story so I was not irritated that I was waking up or still awake and when would my eyes closed. Sometimes the more I tried to sleep the more every itch, ache became stronger so this kind of took my mind away.

I picked easy stories that would hold my interest but if I lost track no big deal and I could always re listen a section if I fell asleep. I did not want complicated so that my brain would get overly engaged and try to figure out who done it or whatever.

@GimpyGal, I too had my THR on Aug 31(and both knees replaced last year). I have good and bad days, but definitely can see improvement if I look at it week to week rather than day to day. I had read about how hips are so much easier than knees, which I disagree with. I still have log leg, which can be so frustrating. My surgeon has me wear TED hose on the surgery leg for 6 weeks during the day, and ace bandage wrap at night. Getting tired of that. I’m still sleeping in the recliner because of the log leg and soreness/swelling of the hip. So far I have slept ok, thanks to meds- I now take 1 Tylenol PM and 1 Somnapure (a natural sleep aid that my PT uses and recommended), and that’s worked for me. Hope you are doing well and have more good days than bad!

Thanks @EllieRose, @leejaa, @Mojo333 and @Elf1. It helps beyond measure to know that for many people insomnia is the norm. I too, hate it since with a bad hip prior to surgery it seems I haven't slept in forever. I too, spend most of the night listening to books and podcasts - a habit I got into with the sleeplessness of the bad hip the last year or too. I just need to relax and let it resolve but some days I feel like the walking dead.

After giving up the Tramadol I had three nights of no sleep at all - literally less than 3 hours total -so I went back on a half dosage for a day, then split that pill into a quarter dosage the next day before giving it up. Sleep hasn't been great since then and let me make it clear there's no medical advice behind that decision, but I am convinced that even though I took it just 2 1/2 weeks my body needed to tamper off rather than quit it abruptly. I also requested a refill from the pharmacy who called my surgeon about it and his office called me to 'talk about that!' I have to call them back today and admit I just wanted some in reserve which I KNOW doesn't help the opiod crisis, but I do love them for monitoring me to make sure there isn't a problem brewing.

@EllieRose, not to compare our recoveries, but it seems our bodies are about in the same place with the same surgery date (and history!) My log leg is finally coming along. It hurts to haul it into bed, but it's doing it under its own power and the pain is tolerable. So I do get to get out of the recliner overnight which makes me feel less dictated by my circumstances. I really really feel for you and the TED hose. My surgeon said two weeks (also with aspirin for 6 weeks) and it was so much of a struggle (the effort kept busting open my incision) that we abandoned them earlier than that as long as I got up every hour.

@Elf1 I had to giggle at your wedge pillow comment. I have a wedge under my knees and a second one under my back. I joke that I'm assuming the 'taco position' as I settle in to sleep. Between that and the Darth Vader Cpap mask, it's almost comical!

No matter our road to recovery, we're gaining on it. Yes - week to week there is progress, but it's barely noticeable overnight. I do see a great improvement in my 'distance walking' outside, with distance being a sarcastic term. Oh, and I tried stairs with my PT this week. I have a steep set of stairs in my house I rarely need to climb, but I wanted to try it. I FLEW up and down - for the past year I took them on my hands and feet like a toddler. What a rush for so early in recovery.

Hi @GimpyGal
Please don't feel bad about using those meds, especially at night.
This is a great article...
Pain meds are for pain.

@mojo, I don't really feel my surgeon was trying to get me to give up the meds too soon. The way the nurse worded it on the phone is they were concerned about the refill because they wondered if something was going on causing me more pain than they expected at this point. But maybe the time on opioids was behind that? I'll find out more tomorrow.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks