THR GibsonGirl's Anterior THR Recovery

@GibsonGirl1948, just wanted to relay I love reading your update posts and how well you're recovering! You're an inspiration to those of us in pre-surgery mode and one can readily tell from your posts how grateful you are for the results you're seeing from this surgery. Keep on healing!

You have a wise daughter and she is exactly right. And you are doing exactly right. It takes time to recover and at only 4 weeks out, the fatigue after that 1/4 mile sprint is to be expected. You haven't done that in a long time and even pre-surgery, could only do it with great pain. Don't push but enjoy that 1/4 mile the next time you do it. You are doing well!

@GibsonGirl1948, just wanted to relay I love reading your update posts and how well you're recovering! You're an inspiration to those of us in pre-surgery mode and one can readily tell from your posts how grateful you are for the results you're seeing from this surgery. Keep on healing!
Your note just shows that this surgery provides blessings that we just might not consider! I had no idea that I could inspire anyone else at this point. Thanks so much for letting me know. Oh how I hope that your experience will be as positive as mine has been. Of course, I have had some difficult moments, but they never lasted. I have had concerns because I just had no clue as to what I could expect. A I look back on the day of my surgery it is almost miraculous as to how easy it was for me and I went in being almost unnaturally afraid. My doctor is truly gifted in his approach and for that I am so grateful. I wish you well and the very best. Please keep us posted. Sending a virtual hug!

@GibsonGirl1948, I am two-plus weeks out from my second hip replacement. I’ve noticed a pattern in this recovery that a high energy, “Cloud 9” is almost inevitably followed by a low energy day. It has been so helpful to me to look back at the posts I made five years ago when I had the first hip replacement surgery (opposite side) and see the promises I made to myself to rest more next time around. It keeps the guilty feelings at bay when I sit in my recliner and do three crossword puzzles in one day. Hey! My body is busy healing! I can give it the gift of rest.

@GibsonGirl1948, I am two-plus weeks out from my second hip replacement. I’ve noticed a pattern in this recovery that a high energy, “Cloud 9” is almost inevitably followed by a low energy day. It has been so helpful to me to look back at the posts I made five years ago when I had the first hip replacement surgery (opposite side) and see the promises I made to myself to rest more next time around. It keeps the guilty feelings at bay when I sit in my recliner and do three crossword puzzles in one day. Hey! My body is busy healing! I can give it the gift of rest.
You just told me something that I just mentioned to my husband this morning. I too seem to have a cloud 9 day only to not feel so good the following day. I have had a number of those wonderful days thinking I was completely "over it"! Not so! I continue to have these fleeting pains in the strangest places! They don't last long but good grief sometimes they are not even near my surgery site!!!

A little late here but my surgeon didn’t prescribe PT other than what I got in the hospital. I’m about 6&1/2 months post op and with each month that passes I notice subtle improvements in my range of motion strength and stamina (I’m 63). Sounds like you’re doing well!!

@GibsonGirl1948 , those fleeting pains in unexpected places are actually quite normal. Nerve attachments healing ... think of how the OS had to arrange you while performing the surgery - those little aches and pains are just reminders your body knows how to repair itself ... and remember that pre-surgery, as your hip got worse, you were compensating with other parts of your body creating imbalances - those too are now realigning with your brand new hip able to pull its weight now! It is all good.

I have had a number of those wonderful days thinking I was completely "over it"

If only it was that easy, :heehee:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary in a recovery that can take up to a full year...and for some even longer. It sounds like you’re doing really well though. I recall those odd / random sensations. One here, one there and then...poof..suddenly gone.
Wishing you a week full of days on Cloud Nine!

Hello Friends! I will soon start my 6th week post op. I continue to do well. I have felt the need to increase my walking time. This morning I felt great, no pain and was able to walk 1/2 mile with my husband. I was able to view a lovely tree lined creek that I have not seen for almost a year! I find that I still need to rely on my cane most of the time but I am able to walk short distances without it. No doubt I have some arthritis. I have discovered that the stiffness in my lower limbs is still plaguing me; I have had this for a number of years. This manifests when I stand and start to walk. After about 10 steps the stiffness is gone. I do not have pain in my knees or ankles, just the stiffness. I had not thought much about this because everything centered on the horrific pain I experienced in my hip. Maybe this is something that I will have to deal with. All I know is that it feels so good to not feel that relenting, grinding, stopping me in my tracks hip pain! My emotional state is so different from 6 weeks ago. I feel great and so optimistic. I have a dream that I shared with my Doc. I want to be able to ride my bike with my husband. I have a lovely bicycle and a beautiful and safe place to ride! My Doctor said, "Oh, you'll be able to ride your bike. In about 4 months you can ride your bike!" That will be right about the time of my 73rd birthday and my dream is to ride on that day; maybe a very short distance but it might be possible!! If it happens, I'll let you know!!

Awesome report @GibsonGirl1948!! :happydance: It had to be an amazing feeling to see your lovely creek, I know walking in nature was one of the things I missed most when I was limited by arthritis. A bike ride for your birthday sounds like a great goal, we'll all be rooting for you! :bicycle1:

Awesome report @GibsonGirl1948!! :happydance: It had to be an amazing feeling to see your lovely creek, I know walking in nature was one of the things I missed most when I was limited by arthritis. A bike ride for your birthday sounds like a great goal, we'll all be rooting for you! :bicycle1:
Thanks, FCBayern. I have felt wonderfully well today. I noted this evening that I feel some tiredness in my legs but that is to be expected. I have relaxed and iced this evening! I will decide if I feel it's OK to do the 1/2 mile again tomorrow knowing I need to strengthen these old legs! Thanks for checking up on me!

I have a dream that I shared with my Doc. I want to be able to ride my bike with my husband. I have a lovely bicycle and a beautiful and safe place to ride! My Doctor said, "Oh, you'll be able to ride your bike. In about 4 months you can ride your bike!" That will be right about the time of my 73rd birthday and my dream is to ride on that day;

Aww, what a sweet thing to look forward to. You’re doing great and I’m betting that bicycle ride with hubby is in your future. Just promise no tricks like this ->:bicycle1:
And obviously none of this -> :bicycle2:
I hope your night is a peaceful one!

EEEEK! Encouragement please! I am 5 weeks and 3 days post op. My reports have been so positive to this point. I finally was able to sleep well without pain or being uncomfortable until the the last 4 nights. At night in bed, I have had pain in the bend of my upper thigh (surgery leg). Especially when I extend my leg as I lie on my back. Last night I had to get out of bed and get into my recliner. I worried that perhaps I had walked more than I should have so I backed off on the walking. Today I worry that perhaps I am not walking enough. I hope you all will tell me this pain is part of the process. Even though I am recovering so well I still have underlying fears that something could suddenly go wrong. About the walking: I have no clue as to how much or how little is needed. Thanks friends and Good Sunday to everyone!

Oh, @GibsonGirl1948, I'm sorry to hear of your new nagging pain at night. Even though you've had a great recovery so far, it really breaks our confidence when we hit a snag and we question if we're still on the recovering path. (Am I doing something wrong? Is this pain normal? Am I doing too much? Too little? Why am I not dancing the River Dance yet? - Ok, probably not too many of us are worrying about that yet!)

My suggestion, especially if it seems like moving to the recliner helps with the pain, is perhaps elevating in bed would help in order to give your joint a different angle to rest and also maybe icing prior to sleeping. Seems like the recliner is mainly just changing that joint position. The mantra of ice and elevation has been my go-to whenever I've had an issue, and it's never failed me yet. Also, I believe @Layla has recently given out some recommended activity progressions for hips lately that are exceptionally helpful for us hippies that need help. I'm probably going to "memorize" those after my surgery next week.

I hope others on here that have experienced this after THR can help with their knowledge.

Remember, slow and steady wins this race. No doubt in my mind you're still on track for that bike ride with hubby on your birthday. :)

Good Morning @GibsonGirl1948
Please try not to be discouraged. My guess is you’ve joined the the ODIC (Over Did It Club) as we often refer to it here. I think if you rest and ICE, multiple times per day, for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice, also using an OTC pain reliever as needed, you’ll be feeling better in a couple of days. Don’t worry about not walking enough as you give your leg some TLC over the next several days. I’ll leave the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines which you can use as a rough gauge over the next few weeks. I’d only be concerned if the pain escalates in intensity, or frequency, other than that, rest and ice should help.
Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing. Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.:console2:

Before seeing these replies I did a search on this site and "yes", I am guilty of ODIC. I even knew about that but just did not consider. I did a 1/2 mile walk, 2 days in a row. While it felt great, no pain, I can see that I was not ready to walk that far. To that point I had only walked a couple hundred yards at a time. AND...I discovered that I could reach my toenails so I did a light pedicure. However, it did require a bit of a stretch and the same thing with tying my shoes. I guess just because I could do it, I couldn't do it with ease. Between the 1/2 mile walks and stretching to tie my shoes, I have a hunch that is the culprit. Wish I didn't have to learn by trial and error! Still, I am doing wonderfully well. I must keep in mind that just because I can, doesn't mean that I should. OK. I won't worry anymore about this and heed your advice!!

Between the 1/2 mile walks and stretching to tie my shoes, I have a hunch that is the culprit.

I agree with you and if you add in the pedi also, it pushed you right in the door of the ODIC. Sadly, we do live and learn.

You used one of two sayings that float around here often -
“Just because I can, doesn’t mean I should.”
”It doesn‘t hurt until we stop.”

It‘s good you’re no longer worried, I don’t think you need to be. Just make a lazy Sunday out of it...and Monday and Tuesday also, if need be. Then go s-l-o-w.
Hugs

Between the 1/2 mile walks and stretching to tie my shoes, I have a hunch that is the culprit.

I agree with you and if you add in the pedi also, it pushed you right in the door of the ODIC. Sadly, we do live and learn.

You used one of two sayings that float around here often -
“Just because I can, doesn’t mean I should.”
”It doesn‘t hurt until we stop.”

It‘s good you’re no longer worried, I don’t think you need to be. Just make a lazy Sunday out of it...and Monday and Tuesday also, if need be. Then go s-l-o-w.
Hugs
Thanks, my sweet encourager!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back