THR GibsonGirl's Anterior THR Recovery

GG, I also had my surgery Nov 5. I am also not doing any outpatient PT. I have a few exercises I do on my own as well as walk. I did not do any PT on my first hip (which was Aug 25) and I am doing fine on that side. My surgeon even agreed with me on the PT; he said that many PTs are too gung-ho.

Though I am late to the game, welcome to BoneSmart @GibsonGirl1948 . There is nothing like that first shower after surgery, is there. I agree with the others here - walking, doing the normal activities around the house (note: moving furniture and painting are not normal!! :heehee: ) and doing those basic exercises you were given in the hospital is plenty. Looking forward to your progress.

Day 13 Post surgery. I have had 3 very good days. New pains crop up here and there in places I never expected. Today I am walking better than yesterday and I thought yesterday was pretty good.

Question #1: Will I ever be able to tie my right shoe again? Seriously.

Question #2: My cousin had this same surgery in March. She did the PT and probably thinks I am making a mistake in not doing PT. She tells me that on her second visit to PT, the therapist stretched her leg out and in and upwards. Therapist said the stretching is needed to combat stiffness and aid flexibility. Yikes, because this is counter to what most of you advocate. Please tell me that what my cousin went through is actually not the best plan. I am asking simply because I feel concern about whether or not I'll be flexible enough to put on my socks and shoes! I do have some concern that when I see my Doc again in a little over 2 weeks that he will know I have not done therapy and will he see the progress that he expects to see?

2 THR's and no PT and no one is going to move my leg. I can tie my shoes, wash my feet, trim my nails and touch my toes. No 2 people have the same recovery and no 2 hips even on the same person is the same. My right was very different and I struggled with tying my shoes with the rt. Moving and easy stretching is what worked for me.

Hello @GibsonGirl1948
While you did make the decision to cancel PT, I can tell you’re still questioning whether you did the right thing. At not quite two weeks post op, I hope you weren’t counting on the ability to tie your shoes by now. It’s very early days for you, with a lot of healing to still take place. I’m sure this will come with time and for some reason, IF it remains a struggle, it isn’t the worst that could happen. What helped me was to stand at the bottom of a staircase and put my foot up on the second step. I also became accustomed to slip on shoes and the only shoes I need to tie are athletic shoes. There are also many options for (No Tie Shoelaces) that can be found easily through a quick online search.

As far as your cousin and the PT stretching episode, that is not something I’d want to experience. Please don’t count on your surgeon expressing disappointment in your progress. You may be surprised. My best advice is to let your cousins advice go in one ear and out the other. You do YOU, it’s your recovery and you need to be comfortable with
whatever you decide will work best for you.

Hope today is a good one! :)

Hello @GibsonGirl1948
While you did make the decision to cancel PT, I can tell you’re still questioning whether you did the right thing. At not quite two weeks post op, I hope you weren’t counting on the ability to tie your shoes by now. It’s very early days for you, with a lot of healing to still take place. I’m sure this will come with time and for some reason, IF it remains a struggle, it isn’t the worst that could happen. What helped me was to stand at the bottom of a staircase and put my foot up on the second step. I also became accustomed to slip on shoes and the only shoes I need to tie are athletic shoes. There are also many options for (No Tie Shoelaces) that can be found easily through a quick online search.
butt
As far as your cousin and the PT stretching episode, that is not something I’d want to experience. Please don’t count on your surgeon expressing disappointment in your progress. You may be surprised. My best advice is to let your cousins advice go in one ear and out the other. You do YOU, it’s your recovery and you need to be comfortable with
whatever you decide will work best for you.

Hope today is a good one! :)
Yes, perhaps I am second guessing simply because I have never done this before!! I assure you that I am not re-thinking PT. The good thing is that initially my Doc said that hips do not need much PT. Maybe he prescribes it because so many patients do not follow guidelines such as short walks around the house. In my first post I mentioned that I had bunches of pre-op info but very little post-op. I'm not one that just because the medical community tells me that means I am going to swallow it hook, line, and sinker without doing some research and exploring on my own.

The beauty of this site is that so far, I have not gotten my hands slapped for asking the same questions that many of you have answered time and again! My husband even said, "Ask your group about that." Yay! Even husband is getting it figured out too!

You're definitely on the right path @GibsonGirl1948. If someone had tried to move my operated leg that soon after surgery I would have kicked them with my other leg! I can't imagine that action could do anything but aggravate already angry tissues.

You're definitely on the right path @GibsonGirl1948. If someone had tried to move my operated leg that soon after surgery I would have kicked them with my other leg! I can't imagine that action could do anything but aggravate already angry tissues.
I honestly believe that is exactly what happened. I had pain, especially at night, for two nights. I find it interesting at how aggressive many therapists are. Wonder if they are not up to date on the latest?

Question about bandage/dressing. This is day 13. My Doc said that I can take the bandage off after 10 days but I have not done that. I have been careful when showering and the bandage is still intact. It is the clear/Tegaderm looking kind. Should I remove the bandage or let it be for a few more days?

The dreaded clear bandage! I showered and scrubbed on it and it still never let loose. My OS said 2 weeks and it came off then. First time it was at his office at my 2 week check up. Second time right at 2 weeks my wife helped and took it off. The way she did it, she watched the nurse the first time, was to start the very edge and then roll it and it came off. I could see the incision and it looked great and no leakage.
About the aggressive therapists, my OS warned me as they would hurt me.

GG,

You are doing great, gave a great attitude and you’re listening to good advice and thinking!

I’ve done both hips ... almost 20 years apart. No formal PT on either. Walking, yes. Stretching, yes. Elevating and icing, yes! Tylenol in lieu of opioids on the second, yes.

I would sound conspiratorial if I opined there is a “system” at play in the orthopaedic biz that encourages all phases of the business be exercised ... but, it sometimes seems ... I was encouraged to do PT, but said, “No, thanks, this is my second.”. They said, “oh, ok.”. I saw OS in prep, and then the PA who closed the wound at 15 days when she peeled off the ZipLine closing device.

Be careful ... keep walking. There’s plenty of time for gym work and additional stretching.

Last edited:
The dreaded clear bandage! I showered and scrubbed on it and it still never let loose. My OS said 2 weeks and it came off then. First time it was at his office at my 2 week check up. Second time right at 2 weeks my wife helped and took it off. The way she did it, she watched the nurse the first time, was to start the very edge and then roll it and it came off. I could see the incision and it looked great and no leakage.
About the aggressive therapists, my OS warned me as they would hurt me.
Thanks so much for your input. I will tell my husband your wife's way of unrolling the bandage. FYI: I live just outside of Nashville! I am relieved that I quit PT.

Today is day 14 post surgery. Today for the first time I am experiencing mild pain and a feeling of soreness in or on my hip (on the side of my body). As I sit I feel a soreness in my "butt". Is this part of the healing process? I just need to know that what I am experiencing is normal. I am continuing to ice frequently.

Nothing to worry about @GibsonGirl1948, 2 weeks in there are still lots of weird pains that come and go, but I'm guessing the grinding hip pain from before surgery is gone right? The healing pain will continue to lessen nothing but brighter days are ahead. It's sometimes hard to see early but your days will get better and better.

Nothing to worry about @GibsonGirl1948, 2 weeks in there are still lots of weird pains that come and go, but I'm guessing the grinding hip pain from before surgery is gone right? The healing pain will continue to lessen nothing but brighter days are ahead. It's sometimes hard to see early but your days will get better and better.
Just what I needed to hear! My daughter had wrist surgery and her doctor made an analogy. "Pain seems to chase itself around to different places in the body during the healing process." Yep, that speaks! No, I am not experiencing the grinding hip pain as I did before surgery. Last night was the best night's sleep I had for many months. I had that traveling pain in a few places but an ice pack put it at bay. I have already done one walk and it felt easy and good. Thanks so much for encouraging me!

About the bandage. Day 15, we removed the clear outer bandage. I have no staples or sutures. Was surprised to see an under bandage of strips across the incision. They do not look like we should pull them away from the wound. I looked through my files but no info give about what to do with the strips. Of course I can call and inquire but wondering if anyone has had this same kind of dressing! This is my best and most positive day so far. I am encouraged!

@GibsonGirl1948 are they steristrips - little white strips that look like butterflies laid across your incision? If so, just let them fall off.

@GibsonGirl1948 are they steristrips - little white strips that look like butterflies laid across your incision? If so, just let them fall off.
Yes, they are steri-strips. When my Doc spoke to me the morning after, I was a bit out of it and vaguely recall him saying that I can leave them but I can't say for sure. I have been very careful when I shower so they are still very much intact. Thanks for cluing me in!!

After two weeks, your skin should be pretty well healed.

If any of the steristrips have a loose end, or if they're starting to look a bit tatty, you won't do any harm if you remove them.
Even though people are often told to leave them until they fall off, that's really being over-cautious. You could try removing alternate ones in a few days' time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom