TKR Gia’s New Knee

@beachy,

Nope, we leave for Fort Lauderdale on the 21st and board the ship on the 22nd until April 1. So looking forward to it. Sick of this weather.
I read your post and I also have discomfort sometimes in the back of the knee. And I realized this morning, when my incision area was itchy, that wearing jeans irritates my incision. I lived in Starfish pants and the Travelers collection from Chico’s all winter. Being a former Chico’s manager, you know exactly what I mean. So the tightness of the jeans is annoying. But hey, I can wear capris soon!.

For the most part, I can forget about my knee though. Seeing Dr Mc next Tuesday for a cortisone shot in the other knee which is bothering me more and more.
And now my lower back is bothering me. It’s always something.

I know you’re headed to OC in a few weeks. That’s gonna be wonderful. We need a break from this weather.

Glad you checked in with me. I’ve been wondering how you’re doing.

The vay-cay plans give us something to look forward. I'm headed to Puerto Rico in 5 days. You'll have a great cruise with your knee recovery far along.

That sounds great! We cruised out of Ft Lauderdale about 5 yrs ago. Royal Caribbean some ginourmous ship.
You're going to have a great time! Relax, eat , drink and soak up the sun.

LOL....I'm was very familiar with the Travelers line. They glide across the body. I have several pieces. Is Starfish a Chicos brand? Never heard of that one. But, I've been gone since 2015.
Where else can you shop and say you wear a size 1 or 2 :heehee:

Great to hear that your knee is doing well! Dr McK has the magic touch.
I was scheduled for cortisone shots in my back ( not by Dr McK) and I chickened out. So far, chiropractor and acupuncture have helped.
You're right.....It's always something. But, I tell myself if this is the worst then I'm blessed.

@beachy,

The Starfish pants are Lands End. If you buy the slim they look less like sweats so I liked that.

I had the injections in my LS spine and honestly don’t think they did much. I find stretching and exercise helps me more. My discs aren’t ruptured though, just bulging.
Just found a new yoga place in Hampstead that I’m going to try. I’ll only do what my knee will allow but I do love yoga.

You are so right. I count my blessings every day.

Had to ask about starfish pants.....I love starfish! I'll have to look at Lands End.

I love yoga, too. My wrists and hands are arthritic and hurt when I'm on the mat for many moves. And kneeling isn't great, but do able. My acupuncturist suggested Qigong. He showed me a YouTube video by Leah Franklin. He swears it's gentler for us (ahem) "senior" folks. He's 65 like me.
My back is feeling better with chiro and accupunture. It takes several appointments, though. I have stenosis in the L's.
The thought of spine injections freaked me out and I ain't no sissy :heehee:!

I checked the website for the cbd/turmeric. They're sold out. Checked Amazon, too. Not even on there. I'll keep trying. Did you purchase from the website? I really want to try them.

@beachy,

We did purchase the CBD from the website. Have never seen in elsewhere. My husband went on the site also and got the same message. But he's still getting offers from Irwin so I'm assuming they will restock. Or at least I hope so.

I hope so too! Thanks for the update.
I got a lands end catalog in the mail today and saw the starfish pants. Loved the coral color!

I am a total outlier, when it comes to clothing. Last year, my cruise wear was skirts. I love skirts. I really love them now in my recovery. It's easier to ice the knee, or heat the sore muscles. Yup, I even wear skirts when I go camping, in a tent.

I've had to wear pants in the cold, when I've left the house. Really, really inconvenient, especially with a spastic bladder, and too low toilet seats.

Enjoy your cruise. I am now pushing my Envy Button.

Well, I am 2 days short of my four month anniversary of my RTKR and I am very pleased. We are currently cruising the Caribbean for 10 days and I can honestly say my knee is not an issue. Most of the time I forget I had surgery.
I was anxious to see how I would do walking on a sandy beach and the uneven terrain. No difficulty doing that and also no repercussions the next day.
I did do PT because I didn’t know it was an option as I hadn’t found BoneSmart. My therapist was great though and I did what I was comfortable with. He discharged me at 7 weeks and my flexion was 122-128. I know it’s much better now. I had nothing like those numbers prior to surgery and had just learned to live with my limitations.
I never had difficulty sleeping and didn’t have to return to a job as I’m retired. I think that took a lot of stress off of me.
Just want everyone to know that a month or 2 ago I had no idea I would feel this good. So keep plugging along and your recovery will come in time. Don’t be discouraged.

Now if someone could make my lower back and IT band feel as good as my knee, I’d be ever so happy.

Currently cruising the Caribbean with a new knee! That's an excellent recovery plan :heehee:
Have a great time!

I have to say that even 4 to 6 weeks ago, I wondered how I would navigate walking through airports. So it’s really time and daily activities that heals our knees.

@gia2cats ..Thanks for the insight to normalcy for those of a little ways behind you... enjoy the vaca!
:thumb:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks