THR Getting nervous

Reluctant hippy

Country
United States United States
Surgery for first joint replacement (left hip) in a week. Was already worried about risks (heart, infection, etc. etc.) and now adding Coronavirus to that list - questioning my timing of being in hospital setting. Any tips on reducing anxiety? I have option of being fully sedated or partial or none - any opinions on this? Thank you I’m advance! - nervous ninny (reluctant hippy)

@Reluctant hippy Welcome to BoneSmart! We were all reluctant hippies when we got the diagnosis. Yes, there are risks to having surgery. But the benefit greatly out weigh the risks. Your pre-op assessment will address any health issues including heart. And I imagine you will also be screened for Coronavirus at this stage.

Just be sure everyone you come in contact with washes their hands. Don't be afraid to ask them if they forget.
I have option of being fully sedated or partial or none - any opinions on this?
Fully sedated! You will be in a nice, comfy sleep and won't remember anything.

Keep posting here. It does help ease the anxiety.

Can you give me the exact date of your surgery? I'll put it in your signature for you.

I totally agree with everything Jaycey said. Everyone was very anxious prior to surgery but once it is all over, most likely you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. There is a bit of discomfort those first few days after surgery but the OA pain you feel now will be totally gone. It is amazing! You actually get your life back and you can move again pain free. I’m sure everyone will have your best interests in mind and they will monitor you closely for any problems. You will make out just fine. Please feel free to post any questions you may have as there are always people around to help and offer support. I know I found BoneSmart very helpful both prior to my surgery and then during my recovery. You’ll make out just fine!! Don’t change your date!!!

As far as sedation, I agree with Jaycey on that, too. I’d recommend full sedation. I wasn’t given a choice and was given a spinal with sedation. It was great. I slept through the whole thing and woke up after feeling alert and awake with no nauseous feeling. I was a bit skeptical about a spinal as I’d never had one before but I was very happy with it.

Being nervous is normal, I think we all were nervous and had second thoughts. I don't think there is any difference whether it's this new virus or any other flu or virus. If the Hospital and the OS have a good program and are vigilant they do everything possible to prevent problems.
I was confused about anesthesia for my first and did some research. I went with a spinal and sedation which I had never had before for my previous ortho surgeries. No doubt when I went for my 2nd THR, spinal with sedation was excellent ofr me.

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences! I’ve never posted to an online forum before but can now see how beneficial it is to connect with an online community. My THR is scheduled for next Tuesday, March 10. Later today is my pre surgery visit. A couple weeks ago I was cleared (pre-op labs etc) but my anxious nature tends to keep the worries alive and well

Hello @Reluctant hippy - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

THR (anterior) of left hip next week on March 10, 2020. Plan on getting right hip done later this spring. Thx!!

Hi Reluctant hippy,

I had a spinal with profofol iv, no anxiety premedicaton by request.

Once I was in the OR the spinal was given, once it had taken effect they started the iv and locked me into the table. The last thing I remember was seeing the iv turn milky white and saying that I felt relaxed but didn't think it would put me out, lol. In what seemed like the next instant I was being wheeled down the hall to recovery.

I would do everything the same if I had to do the other hip.

The thing that calmed me the most before going to the hospital was watching youtube videos of THR. It's not for everyone but it sure did help me know what would be done and how.

What helped me prepare and relax more, was reading some threads of members who had surgery before me. I made sure to ask for ice as often as I needed in the hospital. I had enough ice at home. Then more, when the hospital gave me the ice holders, with ice bags in them, to use on the ride home.

The most helpful thing for me, besides all the recovery stories, was the article in the BoneSmart library about recovery aids. Most surgeons don't have time to discuss this with you; you are on your own to find out about it. I don't know what I would do without my sock helper, reacher/grabber, reusable gel ice packs and raised toilet seat. Many find a recliner to be indispensible, although I never used one. Also, you should have a shower transfer bench (If you have a tub/shower combo) or a shower chair if you have a free-standing shower, as a fall in the bathroom after THR can be catastrophic. Most of these things can be rented from a medical supply store, or purchased at a thrift shop. It can be calming to get your recovery area set up just the way you need it BEFORE your surgery, e.g. a bedside cart with drawers for meds, tissues, etc., and envision yourself there with everything you need close at hand.

Stripey, was yours an anterior approach? I did get some of the supplies like a reacher/grabber but wondering with anterior approach if I don’t necessarily need other items like the shower chair. Thanks for all the suggestions. Including watching YouTube - I did just watch an hour long video on exactly what I’m having done and even though it made me slightly queasy (knowing that will be me next week ) it helped seeing how they have this procedure down to an art! I know my dr does 5-6 per day so that helps assuage my fears!

Hi Reluctant :wave:

I had both of my hips with the anterior approach and definitely needed and enjoyed having the aids available to help me in the first few weeks. There aren't restrictions placed by the OS but swelling and soreness is limiting, for sure.
I used the portable potty set up because it's frame fit over the toilet and was very stable and adjustable. .
I was given a prescription for it and my local home health supply store delivered it. I also used a transfer shower chair, mainly to help me get into my shower, I guess it's dependent on what your bathroom set up is and whether you can walk right into your shower.

I felt so well prepared by the time my surgery date rolled around, which gave me comfort.

You will do just fine. The waiting is the worst part. Then you will recover and enjoy having an active life again! @Reluctant hippy

@Reluctant hippy Yes, I had anterior approach both times with a smooth recovery. However, regardless of approach, the muscles in your operated leg will be weak for some time - weeks or more - while you slowly build your strength back up. So you can imagine trying to balance on one leg in a slippery shower and maybe you are a little woozy with pain meds - it doesn't take much to cause a slip and fall that could lead to a dislocation or worse. For me, it was not worth the risk. Possibly I am over-prepared but I did use almost all of the tools that I assembled before my surgery. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

@Reluctant hippy did your OS have you attend class or give you a handbook? That's where I learned about what to expect in recovery and what I would need as far as aids go. If not then reading threads on here and the guidelines will get you up to speed.

@Reluctant hippy did your OS have you attend class or give you a handbook? That's where I learned about what to expect in recovery and what I would need as far as aids go. If not then reading threads on here and the guidelines will get you up to speed.
Yes but it’s a lot of info to digest. And I know there are individual variations. He didn’t mention a shower chair - nor did the person who contacted me earlier about Walker/toilet seat. I’ll be doing some final reading tomorrow and Monday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back