THR Getting nervous

hope to get discharged tomorrow- as long aa I can walk (and don’t vomit again - prob from meds) I should be good to go!

I am glad to see you on the healing side!

I experienced vomiting, too after surgery. The staff figured it out (they thought it was from the anesthesia and my GI reacting) and I was much better the next day and went home. I had quite a bit of burping. I hope all goes well for you, too!

Congrats! Hope to see you on the Recovery side once you’re settled in and resting with pain well managed.
Wishing you comfort as you begin healing. :)
@Reluctant hippy

Hoping to see you on the recovery side soon.

If your medications make you vomit again, do ask for an anti-emetic medication, to prevent nausea and vomiting. Also, always take your meds with a little something to eat, such as a cracker.

Meanwhile, here are the recovery guidelines;
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I’m holding off on posting in recovery until I’m discharged. I had a heart rate and blood pressure issue immediately in recovery room. HR was 165 in recovery so instead of putting me in the ortho unit i was placed in cardiac unit. My initial nausea was from oxy which I stopped yesterday so not more throwing up. I can do my PT and OT exercises but my blood pressure ends up dropping (things go black too). - this morning it went to 75/44 with 135 pulse. So now it looks like I’m staying third night and getting echocardiogram and labs done. Definitely unexpected!

Oh my...I hope things have since leveled off.
Healing vibes coming your way.:friends:

I hope they have gotten things under control for you and all the testing is done. It is good they are keeping an eye on you and getting to the bottom of it. I hope all is settled soon and you can go home safely.

Thank you for checking in. Three nights in hospital was WAY too much. I felt like I was in a prison - and helpless. I had some imaging done yesterday that came back all clear and dr was still stumped over my post operative tachycardia. I’m attributing it to significant trauma and maybe not the best sedation but I’ll be following up with my dr next week to try and get some answers. I’m just hoping it’s going to just gradually go down to normal as I’m finally back home and hopefully will get some desperately needed sleep! Being anxious and teary wasn’t quite what I was anticipating.

I am glad to hear the tests were negative. I hope you get some answers soon so that you do not worry. Also happy to hear you are home as I always felt there is no place like home for some peace and quiet and to feel a bit of control over things. Just remember to take your meds on schedule and ice and elevate often. I iced and elevated pretty much non stop if you was sitting or laying down.

Wishing you a peaceful night.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member