BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Getting mixed messages on PT after THR<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Debru4, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Debru4 I've moved this post of yours, which you put in another thread '10 months and still in pain', into your own thread here. It's generally not the done thing to ask questions like this in somebody else's thread as my reply risks derailing the other members thread. Don't know if you've noticed, but you will know when it's your thread as your posts will be a different colour to everyone else's.

But to answer your question: actually the overriding factor in adhesions (and swelling) is the degree of tissue and circulation around the joint. This differs greatly between the hip and the knee. Because the knee has so little soft tissue around it is one reason why it swells more than the hip and that is also the reason that, uncommon as it is, adhesions are more likely to occur in the knee than the hip. It's actually little to do with the size of the incision and more to do with bulk. Incisions in the knee are much, much bigger than in the hip when compared to the overal bulk of that part of the body. That's why we have so many more problems with pain, stiffness and swelling in the knee than we do the hip. Hence adhesions in the knee while uncommon, in the hip they are as rare as hen's teeth!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

United States United States
    @Josephine---thank you for moving my post to the right place. I understand the rationale behind everyone keeping everything in one spot, and not distracting from other people's threads It felt at the time like it made more sense to ask it where the question was triggered, rather than jump back to my own thread, but I'll do that in the future!

Even more importantly, thank you for answering my recent questions about the labrum, and about adhesions. ****"as rare as hen's teeth"---now that's a new one for me!

Obviously, having my questions answered helps me feel less worried. I also want to take advantage of this recent surgery and learn as much as possible---to turn it into a positive learning experience I can rely on if I have a future replacement done, or to support others as well. Your willingness to explain things is appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Bless you!!! Thanks!!! You are right that even a small contribution can make a difference. I appreciate your support for BoneSmart. Great members like you help us continue this work that we are all so dedicated to.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You are at a great place in your recovery. This is the time where I waffled between...Glad the tough stuff is over...and is this my new normal?:chinstroke:
    Healing still happening and lots of improvement to come!:tada:
    That horrible bone crunching pain is gone and now we just have to slowly get back our stamina and strength.
    Such a dance, this recovery business!
    :) :-) (:
    Hope this Sunday finds you well and hope your Christmas is bright!
    :window:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Thanks for your thoughtful contributions to the forum @Debru4
    I hope you have a lovely Christmas with all those you hold dear.
    Wishing you happiness and great health in the New Year!
    :merry christmas:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

I hope the same for you @Mojo333 and @Layla ---I hope your holidays are grand! And I hope Santa brings you both something special, because you deserve it for putting up with me and my incessant questions--❤️

In terms of my recovery, the truth is, even if I were stuck exactly as I am now, it would be so much better than the months before surgery, when it seemed like my whole life revolved around how to manage the pain and still live my life. When I think back to all of the things I tried, and the handful of things that helped, I marvel that I was able to keep doing as much as I did.

Sometimes I physically shudder when I remember the trip I took right before my surgery to Europe with my son and his wife-, 2½ weeks of endless walking, hopping on and off of trains, subways, lugging my suitcase, etc. etc. One day I took 19,959 steps---and felt every one of them. The trip had been planned for months, and was a once in a lifetime opportunity---I don't regret going one bit, but hope one day to do it again with my new hip in tow!!

I suspect that a few of the things, like my pain during weather changes, especially with the cold and snow, will be something I have to contend with for quite awhile---but even that is better than before. It's exciting to think that things will get even better!! (And probably some new things will pop up along the way as well, but for now, I am in a great place!) Thanks again!!

7. Mojo333

I sincerely think, like me, that you are going to see things improve up to a year.
    You've done as i have...soldiered on when things were horrid...and yes, 90% good was good enough for me at 8 months.
    Now, I'd say I'm 99% hip great..so...
    Stay patient..
    :ok:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

I remember holidayswith pre op pain, not being able to swim and stairs hurting at every step and 3 hours sleep a night with horrible bone pain. All gone.

I suspect my full recovery will take a year but progress is steady. I can stand up more in the kitchen now when doing food prep and pushed a supermarket trolley around with my stick on standby yesterday in a very busy environment. . A month ago I could not have done this. It does come eventually and surprises me when it does!

I am sure it will be the same for you. My approach was posterior so restrictions were different. Have a lovely pain free Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mojo333

:tree lights: hope your holidays are happy!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

The past two days I have had a bit of pain in my leg behind my knee. It is a new pain--not horrible.....just present when it wasn't before. I also feel it some (less) on the side of the leg and a spot in the front of my knee. It is on my right side---the new hip side. I've iced and taken acetaminophen. I have very slight arthritis in that knee according to previous X-rays and the weather is changing---does this sound like arthritic pain, or do I need to do some stretches? I had a great deal of knee pain related to my hip prior to my surgery, but it hasn't been an issue since, so can I assume this pain is not related to my hip?

11. Jamie

It is quite common to get a variety of odd pains following a joint replacement. Remember the surgeon is in there working on your hip to realign everything so it is normal again. Unlike when your hip got bad gradually, the return to normal is immediate. Soft tissues can be manipulated and even stretched a bit. Your hip and knee function as a team and now your knee is having to suddenly rearrange itself to accommodate your new perfectly aligned hip. You may have arthritis in the knee joint. It's not uncommon to have it in multiple joints. But you also may just be experiencing some realignment as part of your recovery. The thing to do any time you have pain that is uncomfortable with some regularity is to treat it. In this case, you can probably do that with some 1000mg doses of Tylenol 4 times a day for a few days. (be sure not to take any more than 4000mg of acetaminophen in any 24 hours period - that's the active ingredient in Tylenol and it's also present in prescription pain meds and over-the-counter cold, allergy or sinus meds)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Thanks @Jamie. It sounds like I am treating it properly---probably need to increase the Tylenol as I am taking less than you suggested.

It just seemed odd that I would experience my first pain in my knee several months out. I have been walking quite a bit for several weeks and not felt any discomfort until this week.

Do you think there would be any benefit to doing some stretches? Any suggestions? I have taken the BoneSmart advice to heart and haven't pushed any PT/exercise routines.....just normal daily activity and a lot of walking. But I have seen on several threads that some people have suggested various stretches for specific pains.

As I mentioned, it's not very painful....just new. It makes sense that there is increased work being done in the knee to accommodate the hip---perhaps it's just now catching up with me;) And as I said in my previous post, I do know I have a very small amount of arthritis in that knee, so maybe it is more related to the weather changes and the arthritis. I guess time will tell. Thanks again:)

13. Jamie

Stretches are usually not a problem as long as you're not experiencing pain when doing them. When done slowly they can often help your muscles feel better. Massage can also help as well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Thanks, Jamie. I'm glad to know the stretches can be helpful. Just through daily life, I know I've already stretched a lot, but can't say I've done it to target a specific area before. I suspect that's what I need.

In terms of massage.....am I the only one who never gets much relief when I do it myself? :chinstroke:The healing power of touch.....I actually got a gift certificate for a massage and plan to use it next week--can hardly wait!:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Layla

No, you're not alone, Debru4
    To me, it's impossible to feel relaxed when trying to massage any of my achy muscles, feet etc.
    I think the energy and any pressure we're exerting is just enough to toss the idea of relaxing out the window. Make use of your gift certificate and hope you don't get some blabber mouth for a massage therapist, lol.
    Wishing you a great weekend and a relaxing massage next week!
    @Debru4

• Like Like x 1
  16. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Sounds perfect. The knee exercises I got from my physio are helping.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

I am nearly 6 months out of hip replacement and doing great overall. One question I have is whether the odd sensation/numbness I still have to the outer leg part of my incision is likely going to be permanent, or if it will continue to come back to life?

I've read several posts and many people say their feeling had returned by this time. I have some sensation in the area---somewhere between uncomfortable and numb, if that makes any sense? The area is about 4 inches by 3 inches and lines up on, and just to the outer side of my incision.

It's weird....can't say it hurts, although if I bump it or itch it there is a weird sensation. The feeling has returned everywhere else, and I never had numbness on the inner leg portion. Could I live with it forever if need be?? Absolutely--not a big deal. Just wondering......:shrug:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  18. Mojo333

I too had numbness around the incision and also along side my outer thigh too for quite some time.
    I, too, thought "well, if this be the collateral damage for ending OS pain...I can deal with it.:)
    Can't honestly remember when it dissipated completely...but I had some errant zips and zings that came about up to 9 months after my surgery and the numbness has now completely abated!:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Debru4 I have noticed you say on a few threads about being on the floor/getting up from the floor. It was been so long since I have gone near the floor, I can hardly imagine it! I can get to a big floor pillow or my tuffet for a short stay but only with the aide of a human crane helping me down and back up again. My 8th grandchild is due just 2 weeks before my surgery and I have really missed getting down on the floor with the youngest ones over the last 5 years so wondering just how realistic this is for me. If you go down to the floor, what position do you sit in? Is it comfortable enough that you could play cars with a toddler? Trouble getting back up?
    Sorry for all the questions but seeing your comments has had my head whirling around for a few nights now!
    :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Layla

Hi @Debru4
    If I recall I had a tiny spot that still felt numb at nine months out. I read enough here that I wasn't concerned and basically forgot about it. It felt like months later I noticed it was gone. Not too long ago, Josephine, posted she had an area like that, which she finally gave up on, thinking she'd never regain sensation there and low and behold a few years later she realized all was well. I'll try to find it because I really don't like posting such things without backing it up....but I just did anyway :heehee:
    Lesson: Try to ignore it and most likely sensation will return soon enough.
    Enjoy the day! :SUNsmile: