BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Getting mixed messages on PT after THR<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Debru4, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

United States United States
    Hello @Debru4 I do hope you still get sensation back. I am enjoying being a bit more mobile and now that I’m doing some PT hoping muscles start coming back too. Love Colorado. Lived there in my 20’s. It’s gorgeous. I do remember longing for Spring and Summer to come. We have Summer weather here already. Heat is pretty constant through September. Please check in and let us know how you’re doing. It’s inspiring to read about people out enjoying every day life. :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Small world @Fit4Family:) Where did you live in Colorado? Which part of the country are you in now? Since we have a fairly short growing season any time lost due to cold, bad weather at the end of the spring/start of the summer always makes me feel cheated. It's funny that you remember that spring/summer urgency as well!

I have been doing great----with the exception of the numbness, which annoys me, but doesn't really impact my movement. I am close to 11 months out---most of the time I don't even think about my hip replacement so I know I am right where I need to be.

I went bowling a few weeks ago----the first time in several years. I wasn't that good---but I wasn't before either--:loll:What was so cool was that I kept checking in with my body to see if the bowling was affecting me in any way, and I kept feeling great. That night, and the next day it was fine as well. Whew!

I also danced at my grandniece's wedding recently and it was just like the good old days, long before I needed back and hip surgery.......no pain and lots of fun. I had gone dancing at 3 months out and did fine then as well, but I was a little sore that evening and the next day. This time.....smooth sailing/dancing!

Here's hoping we BOTH get that feeling back! :egypdance:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Those are exactly the moments that give me so my hope. @Debru4 Dancing at your grandnieces wedding is priceless!! Wonderful image of you enjoying every moment. I’m with you on bowling, but fun to know you can do it.

I lived in Denver. My sister and her family are still there. All her spring bulbs came up and got snowed on. So sad when your garden gets frozen in the Spring. I do love Colorado clear blue sky days. I also remember wonderful soil and the perfect climate for roses. I live in Virginia. We have clay and lots of humidity. I’ve given up on roses. But, lots of heat loving plants do great here.

Thrilled for you that your new hip is giving you your life back! ❤️

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Fit4Family ---I am in Loveland, about an hour north. Very similar climate to Denver, and you are right ---roses do well here, and the skies are incredibly blue. We have over 300 days of sunshine a year, with only 30-40 days that are totally overcast, something I love about the state. That spring unpredictability is NOT something I love because we do have years we lose our spring bloomers. This year my lilacs and some of the bulbs were very sparse due to the freezing. My soil here in Loveland, closer to the foothills leans toward clay as well, and needs lots of amendments to be able to grow many things, so you must have been in a great location in Denver for gardening:) Do you visit your relatives sometimes?

Virginia is beautiful---I would love to be able to grow Crape/Crepe Myrtle and some of the other flowering shrubs and trees that thrive out your way. I understand there are some cold resistant Crepe Myrtles they are developing that survive in Zone 5. I plan to wait until they've had a little longer to be sure they can make it through all winters, and not just the milder ones:)

Do you garden? Have you been able to get outdoors much, now that you are 3 months out? I found so many positive things were happening around then! You are lucky that it is summer and you can get out and walk a lot. I have walked quite a bit, but haven't yet made it up to the mountains to do any hiking. There still is so much snow and mud up there and I don't want to risk falling, or overdoing since I haven't hiked in about 1 1/2 years. So for now, I'll stay local for my walks:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hello @Debru4 I know right where you are. Beautiful spot! I absolutely love the climate in Colorado. My sister comes here more than I go there. Her children are grown, so it’s easier now to get away. She and I both love gardening. We have 4 Crepe Myrtle trees. They grow like weeds here. Can’t kill them. Take extreme trims and always bounce back. We do well with magnolias, dogwood, cherry, eastern redbud almost everything flowering.

I love gardening, but still can’t get down on the ground. I’ve hauled around kids old wagon and done my best with pruning, but picking up and hauling debris to street, have to recruit my son. I have more pots than normal this summer for my pops of color. We didn’t have clay in Denver, probably because the house was older and someone prior had amended the beds. I miss my Iris still. They grew so well all across the back of the yard.

I have lots of ideas for Fall. Hoping my body comes along and let’s me get at my yard again. The first time I visited Colorado years ago, it was late June and there was still snow on the switch backs heading to Rocky Mt. National Park. It was taller than me!! Crazy. Smart to steer clear of snow and ice. I’m going to be cautious for a long time too. Enjoy your weekend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Well, @Fit4Family, I am experiencing some major "flowering tree and shrub envy", reading your listing of all the ones that thrive for you!:wowspring:

At 3 months out, I began some simple tasks related to fall cleanup. For some reason, I was really lucky and was able to get up and down off the floor/ground by 3-4 weeks.....must have been some fluke of my physiology, so that isn't necessarily realistic that early, but I'll bet it will happen soon for you. I saved the bulk of the yardwork to do this spring, which was a lot, but there is NO way I could have done it so soon after my replacement.

Even this spring, I made myself start in gradually, limiting myself to a couple of hours a day at first, rather than the full day marathons I used to do each fall and spring. It was a good idea---I've been able to ease back into my old gardening routine without extreme pain. (Still have my usual "gardening bottom" that I always have in the spring after not using the same muscles in the winter, but nothing specifically hip related!!)

I'm glad you are finding ways to get yourself active in your yard again without putting your new hip at risk by overdoing. Glad you have some yard help:) I think your idea of looking ahead to the fall is really wise. That way anything you can do now is bonus. We both know how theraputic it is to spend time in nature, and working among our plants. I hear so many folks on the forum lament not being able to get back to the gym immediately and resume their exercise routines, and I get it....I felt the same way about gardening and yard work!

They had 2 feet of snow in the mountains nearby yesterday---only in the low 50's with rain here this week. So right now, being outdoors in my yard is just a pipe dream.:bawl:Hope your weekend was great fun!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hmmm, new one for me too! You learn something new each day, so they say.
    But....will I remember it tomorrow? :shrug: :heehee:
    @Debru4

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Layla---people will either think we are really cool, OR really, really weird if we start using the word "evanescing"! But I still love it, either way!:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hello @Debru4 Love working outside it really is therapeutic and a great workout. The more mature our yard has gotten the more intense the workout. We moved in 20 years ago with just builder shrubs and trees. Our first home, so we spent years putting in lots of new things. Now we spend our time trying to keep things from taking over. It’s much more of a work out now with ginormous shrubs and trees. I’m so envious at your early mobility. I try every week and have to call someone to get me up. Remind myself daily to be patient and grateful. I am especially grateful that balance has returned. Can stand and pivot pretty well to trim smaller things. The ladder will be a long way off. Think my husband would freak out if he saw me try that.

Gardening Butt is real! Lol, but such a rewarding feeling. I’m not a gym person, give me a tough job any day. Glad you have been able to do the things you love this Spring. I’m encouraged to see how far people have progressed here. Gives me hope. Happy Monday. Hope you get some sunshine this week. :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Fit4Fun---you sound like a kindred spirit:) It sounds like you are doing great for only being 3 months out. Just be careful. I think being early in recovery over the summer must be really challenging for folks. There are so many things people want to engage in, and the temptation is great to perhaps do things one isn't quite yet ready for.

My surgery was in August and while I could do a few things outside in the fall, for the most part I had all winter to recover before I jumped back in big time. If I have a nice space to plant myself and use all 4 points to get myself up, I can get up nicely. If I am in an awkward spot, trying to pop up from a squat is still pretty hit and miss. So let your family (and friends if necessary) haul you back up whenever you need it!!:flwrysmile:

Balance is such a challenge, given our labrum was removed and all the other stabilizers need to get stronger in order to keep us on our feet. I still don't feel 100% in that regard, but much better than I did previously.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Trudijane

Trudijane junior member

I just went to my 3 month post-op appointment. He recommended physical therapy for me only because I'm now able to do things that I'm still cautious about doing - and that it would help to try under supervision. He said I'm past the point where the hip can pop out of its socket; but he said that now is the time to increase mobility and and strength. My 1st appointment is today...

For example, I have been afraid to cross my leg to put a sock on since I was a no-no early on. But now, I'm able to do that, with care, and not be so afraid to see my increased mobility. I know what he's talking about, but I'd never try and do anything that might cause me discomfort or pain. Plus, I still have a lot of stiffness after a good walk that makes me feel as if I've regressed! Did I walk too much? There are a lot of movements I'm not sure I can do or not do.

12. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hi @Debru4 Never saw above response. Sorry for delay.

Love your attitude about getting family to pull you up if necessary. Hoping to be there some time in the Fall. Will have to look up labrum. Never heard of it. Before recent time out my balance was improving a lot. Not 100% of course but way, way better. Hope you are doing well and enjoying being outside!

Take care. ❤️

13. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Trudijane ---It sounds like you have a good plan in terms of PT. You'll probably find that once someone helps you/watches you do things a few times you'll get the confidence to do them regularly on your own. I didn't have any restrictions with my anterior approach, other than common sense and not doing anything intentionally that hurt/pacing myself. I was pretty good at that. BUT if I had begun with restrictions and knew dislocation was a strong possibility I think I also would have been really cautious. I rarely think about my hip now, at almost one year out. But I realize that many of the questions/concerns I had previously related to the fact that I didn't want to mess the hip up or wasn't sure if something was normal or if I should be concerned. Keep us posted on how the therapy goes. And remember----for this particular surgery, pain is NOT your friend, and will set you back. Hopefully you'll get your confidence back and be able to continue along on your own soon---good luck!:loveshwr:

14. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Fit4Family Great to hear from you! :loveshwr:My adult kids/their families and I spent a few days over this past weekend in Steamboat Springs, a ski resort town in extreme north central Colorado. It was beautiful up there. I started with a pretty mild 2 mile walk/hike around a couple of lakes to get used to the altitude and test my hip, since I hadn't done any mountain hiking since my surgery. The second day I joined my kids on what ended up being a pretty strenuous 4 mile hike that had a steep, rocky start (and finish). I wasn't in the best shape, and it was 87 degrees out, but my hip did great.

I had bought some trekking poles that I hadn't really used before, and discovered that using two on this narrow trail felt like I was using too much energy and was awkward, but one was just right, especially going down. Have you used trekking poles? My kids (and others here on the forum) thought it would be smart to buy some and use them when hiking or on walks with loose rocks since my balance isn't so great yet.

My right knee was really sore by the time I got down, but I decided not to worry about it---I iced and took tylenol, and it's a lot better. ( My hip came on so suddenly when it went bad that now every time a joint hurts I panic, thinking I may need to have it replaced. I need to remember that I am 65 and probably there will be soreness, etc. even if I don't need something replaced--:heehee:)

By the third day I was able to do a long hike on a pretty easy trail without even thinking about my hip. It was the most incredible feeling. I remember a year ago dreading every step I took on a 3 week trip to Europe---here I was visiting all of these incredible places and I continually had to override my thoughts of when I could take my next Tylenol and when I could ice. I know that you too will be right there before you know it. I think you have done a great job of realistically pacing yourself. (You had mentioned taking a timeout recently---is everything OK?) It felt like the 4-6 month mark for me finally found me feeling like the hip belonged to me--right where you are now. Keep me posted on what you are up to as well! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1