BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Getting mixed messages on PT after THR<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Debru4, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

United States United States
    I noticed that your right hip was also replaced. Are you a "hold em on your right hip girl" also? After I read your comment, I realized that not only did I carry a total of 4 babies (2 pregnancies) en utero, but I also literally "carried" them and so many others riding on that right hip---jutting and swaying as I did! :heehee:

A 10+ pound baby---must have felt like a very long pregnancy! I only lasted 7 months with the triplets---they were each 4 1/2 pounds--big babies for only 32 weeks, but your guy was almost the same weight when he came. :yikes: Now my curiosity is piqued about whether multiples/big babies have a long lasting impact on hips as my nurse friends suggested. Time to do some research!

• Like Like x 1
  2. desertrat

desertrat junior member

@Debru4 I had my trekking poles a while before the surgery. I would clip the dogs to my belt with a carabiner and use the poles for hiking, especially in sand washes. :dogwalk: It makes slogging through sand seem easier but is quite a good workout - including upper body. Think cross-country skiing. Now they are a life-saver with my right leg not up to full strength and my left knee hurting. Mine are Leki brand, which are very good but there are other good ones. REI sells a few brands and I'm sure there's plenty of places in CO to buy them. You can watch YouTube videos on how to use them.

If you're feeling a little unsteady or off balance the poles would probably help. I feel more secure about falling on uneven terrain with them. The senior center balance class might be a good idea, I get not feeling that "old" though. :heehee::old:

You had triplets?! You are tougher than me! I chickened out on having kids, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mine are Lekis too and I can take them on the plane with me which is useful when walking distances to gates at the airport. On flat terrain I am managing g without but on uneven ground they are very useful. Also so many people have them in my area for walking and hiking one doesn’t feel the odd one out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

I also have trekking poles (got them for walking pre-op). I found it took a bit of practice to use properly but I am not too coordinated. Instructions for use and height are on various internet sites. Best to get good quality lightweight poles - cheaper ones don’t always stay extended.

I do Pilates regularly which is great for balance.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

I agree with @HertsHippy--Pilates is great exercise for balance, strength and agility building. But I would also check out the balance class at the senior center. Even if you're not as old as many of the attendees, it's one of those situations where you get to be the "baby" of the group! In the Pilates class I take, there are women of all ages and differing abilities so I fit right in. Knowing that you've got a balance issue, @Debru4, means you can be proactive about dealing with the problem BEFORE you experience a real problem, like a fall, so I vote for trying several things out to see what helps you. You are relatively "young" so you want to get your balance sorted out before you get "old". I believe that falls are the #1 problem as we age, and balance is a critical component in helping to prevent falls. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. desertrat

desertrat junior member

Another thing you could try for balance is yoga. If you haven't done it, start with a beginner class and learn the poses. There is a lot of balance work in yoga, besides flexibility, core work and strength. Pilates is good too though - it's kind of similar and they use some of the same poses. I did a little pilates and enjoyed it, but my personal preference is yoga - to me it's more fun. I think I'm ready to start back doing some easy stuff.:spin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hi, @desertrat, I've tried yoga as well, but I never took to it the way I did Pilates. To be honest, I find the new age music (complete with gentle warbling and tingling cymbals) played in the yoga classes I've taken a bit off-putting (i.e., irritating). And "warrior pose" just about killed me once before hip surgery so I'm pretty leery! But that's just me, and I totally agree that trying a variety of activities, finding what works best and suits your personality, is the way to go for all of us as we age. It's not really about what we do, it's about doing something and doing it consistently!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Great suggestions everyone, and definitely reinforcement of my belief that I need to get ahead of the balance thing since everything else is going so well. Once again, evidence of how different we all are---I can walk miles, get up and down off the floor, and do things some folks struggle with, and yet I can't balance 10 seconds on either leg, which most folks can easily do at this point in their recovery!:yikes: I appreciate the support and will check a few things out and let you know what I decide to begin with.:loveshwr:

9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Did you ever hear of a Bongo Board?
    Growing up my parents had one and I thought I was pretty cool because I could balance perfectly centered, pretty much for as long as I wanted to. Now....fat chance, I'm sure! I've googled them lately because I'm thinking of getting one again. Great piece of small equipment for balance. Just not sure if it's advisable after THR or for people of a certain age. THAT BE US, lol. Enjoy the weekend!
    @Debru4

10. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Layla--No, I've never heard of one. But in truth, I think it might be a good option for me, given that I do better with unstructured things like that that I can do as the spirit moves me. However, I was a bit of a klutz long before this surgery and doubt the hip replacement has cured me of that!:loll:So I might fall off and break the other hip. I'd love to try one out though to see---will have to ask my Facebook friends if any of them have one! Had to laugh----I used to be a whiz at hula hooping-----now that I am at "that certain age" you referred to, I no longer have the gift! Hurts my hip, back and head (realized I was whipping my head around as if that would help make the middle move better---:rotfl:)!! You have a great weekend, as well! :flwrysmile:

11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hula hoop, that is funny! I can't imagine doing that although when I was a young girl, with no hips yet, I was great at it too. Go figure, lol. Look up Bongo Board videos on YouTube, I'm sure there will be several.

12. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@desertrat ---The triplets were supposed to be child #2---Decided that since we had done OK with our first one, we could handle a 2nd! Which ended up being 2, 3, and 4!:heehee: I was a single parent from the time they were 3.....now THAT was tough. Not planned, but I've been very blessed---no complaints. We all take different paths, and they all are good. :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Will do @Layla! Hopefully you won't be reading a post from me in a month about needing a right hip revision (or a new left hip) as a result of a Hula Hoop ( or Bongo Board) mishap!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh no no no...we've come too far to mess it up now.:no-fin:
    I was a horrible Hula Hooper but at least now I could reach my ankles to pick it back up.
    Hope you have a good weekend @Debru4 :yes:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Lots of great suggestions for you, @Debru4, to try to help improve your balance. I hope you are able to try some and see what works best for you. I've never tried a Bongo Board, but I've used a Bosu Ball at the gym for balance before, so that's another thing you could try. Can't imagine hula hooping at this point in my life!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Agree @Barbaraj---lots of good ideas! :loveshwr: I have a lot going on this week, but plan to look into some of these things soon.

When I taught I had a yoga ball chair---it helped with back pain, and while I didn't sit a lot, I did when I had to use the promethean board/doc camera/computer white board. It was great, and I was thinking I need to bring it back upstairs and sit it on more often too, to use some different muscles when I sit. It also helped with core.

Being a bit of a "random" it feels good to be at a point where I am ready to move on this balance thing. :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hi, @Debru4, I just finished my morning PT exercises and while I struggle a bit with some of them, I invariably feel better, "more stretched out" and comfortable, ready to start my day. I hope your week is great, sounds like you'll be busy, but do check out various options for balance improvement. Nice thing is how many options there are for you to consider. Thus far that hasn't been one of my challenges, but who knows--with a wonky left hip, which isn't getting better any time soon, balance may become more of any issue. In the meantime, onwards! Happy Monday!

18. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Josephine
    I was just rereading my surgery notes from my right anterior hip replacement and saw a phrase I had not noticed the first time I read it: "I curetted a bone cyst and bone grafted it."

Is this referring to one of the many bone spurs I had prior to surgery, or was it something different? If it was a cyst, do they do pathology on it? (I never head about any if it was done, and it isn't obvious in my records, although I may have missed it.)

Where do they take the graft from? I'm not really worried about it, as I am recovering nicely, but am curious if this is so routine that they typically don't mention it? Or if it is something that could cause issues/explain issues should I have any in the future and I need to ask my surgeon more about it?

My labrum was removed, and I also am wondering if there are any other ligaments or cartilage that are routinely removed during the replacement? Pain is not an issue for me, but my balance seems pretty poor, in terms mainly of my ability to balance on one foot longer than 10 seconds. Otherwise I feel OK--no falls or close calls. Is this is a pretty common problem? Or is it even a problem at this point---the ability to stand on one foot, at close to 9 months out?

I recently have asked other members for ideas of things that they do to improve balance and have some excellent ideas to pursue. Thank you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Exactly so. Bone cysts are part of the pathology of arthritis. Very common.
    From the femoral head he removed from you! They use a little surgical spoon to get the nice soft, honeycombe bone from the middle of the head!
    Absolutely not! Mind you, it might if he hadn't dealt with it!
    Some of the capsule and the hip ligament known as the ligamentum teres. You can see it here

ligamentum teres.JPG

• Informative Informative x 4
  20. KathyD

KathyD junior member

Hey Deb,
    Interesting about the cyst. I have not read my op report so I don't know if I had that done too.

I think your balance issue is all weak muscles around the hip and buttock. All the suggestions that were given earlier would help build up those muscles. One exercise that I do is to stand on the new hip leg next to a counter so you can hang on, and swing the other foot in small arcs in front and in back of the standing foot. You can work up to 20 per side (to stay even) and then work on letting go of the counter. I do these while I am waiting for something in the microwave.