Getting into Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

newwheels08

The strangest thing happened today... I was coming back from lunch and another car had parked so close to my door, I could only open it about a foot. Without thinking I stepped into the car with my right leg and sat down,...I have not done that move for over 8 years!...the power of the unguarded movement.

Since the arthritis set in on the left side in 2000, and progressed to both hips in 2004, I have been sitting down first, and picking up my legs with my hands and swinging them into the vehicle. This was my adaptive style until today. The strange part is that I just did it...without a conscious effort, and lifetime of getting into cars the other way just came back spontaneously. just like old pre OA times.

I am at 4 months post op, bilateral THR..and while all days are an improvement...today was a good day.

take care...

Good Job. I was thinking about that tonight driving over to the in-laws. I chickened out next time getting back in the car. Butt first then one leg at a time has been the comfort zone thing lately. I did take 2 or 3 steps tonight without the cane and it almost resembled walking. Maybe next week.

Newwheels,

Kinda off the the subject, but, I noticed you said 'bilateral'; I've read a few others that reciprocated. I always thought that OS's wouldn't do that, (even though, if I had to have it, I'd prefer to kill 2 birds with the same Surgeon), I always thought it would be too painful, too taxing on the body, and prevent the proper ability to do the necessary PT. (Can't walk or put weight on EITHER leg...). What's up with that?

~Dalton

Newwheels,

I noticed you said 'bilateral'; I always thought that OS's wouldn't do that, (even though, if I had to have it, I'd prefer to kill 2 birds with the same Surgeon), I always thought it would be too painful, too taxing on the body, and prevent the proper ability to do the necessary PT. (Can't walk or put weight on EITHER leg...). What's up with that?

~Dalton

Everything you mentioned was in my head prior to surgery...and I almost backed out. I had an O/S that believed in doing both if it is required...he said that my rehab would be about 1-2 days longer overall (and no second surgery or rehab to deal with)..and he was right. I was out of bed on the second day..home on the 3rd etc etc....I don't know about the pain as I have no other frame of reference. I do know the relief from the arthritis outweighed the surgery pain..and I was putting weight on the joints immediately. My right leg had less OA damage and became re-dominant almost immediately...felt like I only had one done after the 3rd week. I was lucky..no complications. I guess that is the main potential down side to bilateral. Best wishes...

Thanks Newwheels,

You basically answered my question. I honor and salute your bravery and perseverance for going through DOUBLE what I've been going through. I would have been a really cranky person if I'd have been required to do the same. Way to go...

~Dalton

Newwheels,

Kinda off the the subject, but, I noticed you said 'bilateral'; I've read a few others that reciprocated. I always thought that OS's wouldn't do that, (even though, if I had to have it, I'd prefer to kill 2 birds with the same Surgeon), I always thought it would be too painful, too taxing on the body, and prevent the proper ability to do the necessary PT. (Can't walk or put weight on EITHER leg...). What's up with that?

~Dalton

Hey Dalton! There are many. many surgeons who will do bilat hips AND knees! Even as long ago as the 70s I worked with a surgeon who did at least one per week.

According to data gathered, patients having two (hips or knees) actually use roughly the same amount of morphine or other pain meds than those having one! Strange but true! And the rehab is better because the first leg is not hampered by the diseased one, so they can get going more effectively. And I have seen patients in their 80s have bilaterals done! It's tough but at least it's all over in one shot and no second anaesthetic etc.

But first one has to find a surgeon who does them. Many surgeons prefer not to as one hip or knee is physically demanding for them, never mind two!

I tell you what Jo,

I'm in awe of anyone you willingly goes through bilateral ANYTHING! Not me! Nuh UH! No way, I'm too big of a wuss! I sure hope I don't have to have my Right one done... since I've got (had) avascular necrosis, and my surgery wasn't due to trauma, I'm at a higher risk of having the same thing happen to my other hip. Crossing my fingers...

~Dalton

Just so long as you're not crossing your legs!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_thhappy0194.jpg

Well Jo,

Funny you said that, because I haven't been using my wedge pillow lately while in the recliner, but today I woke up and my legs were crossed at the ankles. I went "OOPS!", and uncrossed them, but I don't think I did any damage. My hip doesn't hurt any worse, and I think they meant not to "overcross" them. Anyway, I'm almost 3 weeks post op, and I think I've healed enough not to be too concerned. I suppose I'd notice immediately if I had a "REVISION", wouldn't you think? I'm seeing the OS tomorrow, and I assume he'll take another X-Ray to show placement.

~Dalton

As a rule, the deep tissues don't get done with healing and restoration of muscle tone until about 5-6 weeks have elapsed. Until then there is still a risk - albeit reducing as time progresses - that the head of the femur can slip out of place. Much better to be safe than spend the rest of your life saying "If only .. "

It seems that the decision to have bilaterals done is both with t he O/S and the patient. Some surgeons just will not do them. Mine certainly did not propose it to me: I asked for it. It was like "My quality of life sucks...can't keep going to working like this...don't want to go through this twice....been working out to get my strength up....pretty pretty pretty please?????" I guess he just didn't like seeing a grown woman grovel. Well, here I am 2 weeks post op, and I have definitely had my moments. It's been both a physical and emotional roller coster, but I still am glad I will NEVER have to do this again!
Sharon

I hope not Sharon...

I had one done, and don't want another. Not another Left for a redo, nor a Right, for the 1st time... I salute you for having two done at once! YOU are a stronger Trooper than I...

~D.

Turtlelady, I think that is wonderful to have done them both. I actually don't know how your doing it now but Kudos to you.
My Doc wouldn't do both, he said to much loss of blood. And if I would be anymore tired I would be sleeping..(not a bad idea)
Would love to hear how your doing with this if your up to it and your progress. You are one remarkable women in my books. Best to you...

It seems that the decision to have bilaterals done is both with t he O/S and the patient. Some surgeons just will not do them.
Sharon

I said this elsewhere - but even one hip is a bit of a work out for the surgeon, doing two really takes some stamina. Therefore some surgeons just prefer not to do them while others (often younger chaps) will happily entertain the idea.

Hello!

I'm 9 days post op THRL and am pretty happy with the results so far. Though my pain is not huge (stays in the 3-4 range mostly) I take one vicodin every 4 hours or so but was able to skip the does last night. If I walk around a fair amount during the day (15 minutes or so) my hip gets sore later in the day. My sleep patterns are a little screwed up. I take a nap every day in between sitting around and then after a pain meed kicks in doing a little housework. I feel a very slight sensation of looseness in the joint which freaks me out alittle and I'm trusting it's okay. I see my surgeon in 2 days and I can't wait. I have so many questions. One thing I'd like to know is if anyone put themselves on a special diet that improves joint and muscle repair while supporting weight loss during recovery. I'm sticking to protein and veggies for the most part but I wondered if anyone was using anything else to accelerate healing.
Thanks for any responses.
Jaci in Boulder

Interesting question, Jaci. I'm sure there are others that will row in with commentary. Welcome to the board.

Hi Jaci,
I am 5 weeks post a right hip replacement. First welcome. Thlis is such a wonderful place.

Last summer I had cervical fusion surgery and was wondering what I should do diet wise to aid healing aas I am a vegetarian. I considerred eating meat for a while. I asked the nurse at the pre op and she set up the dietician to come and speak to me at the hospital. No insite from her.
So , I just ate ice cream for a few weeks as my throat was way swollen.

Well, this time I did not think about it too much, but my body told me what it needed. I got home on day 5 and really wanted a cheesburger. I kept silent for a day or two. Then I told the family., My hubby went and got me one, I probably had not eaten one in 27 years!!!! The next day he started grilling steak and chicken and that is all I ate for a few days.
Then the strong desire left me. I went back to my veggie ways.

Then again 2 days ago, I bought a chicken parmasan sandwich and a vegetarian sandwich. I ate the chicken!!!

Judy in Co Cal

Hi Jaci,

I'm 35 days post op LTHR, and in addition to eating just about anything I want! LOL (I had crappy taste buds for 2 weeks post op from the morphine, I think). Now my buds are back to normal, and I'm eating whatever gets my fancy, sometimes not so healthy, but I am religiously taking these supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine and chondritin, Os-Cal (calcium supplement), and a multi-vitamin, (Centrum). I had a rough time the first 3 weeks or so, but I feel like I'm healing in leaps and bounds every day now, so I'm sure they've helped. All of those were recommended by my Surgeon, so, I would suggest them too, at least for the 1st 90 days... but check with your OS first.

~Dalton

Welcome aboard jacihull, great question. Eat right AND heal right? An apple a day keeps the OS away? WOW, not a clue or tip to pass on to you, sorry. While healing I've forgotten to restart taking my supplements and even daily vitamins. I had to stop everything prior to surgery. I think that some of us (speaking about myself) who have and are carrying a few pounds helped our hips to deteriorate more rapidly than if we had been in better shape. I think my goal now is that while I am healing I want to reestablish a normal exercise program to help loose a few pounds. I've noticed that my hip seems to stay tight on the days that I just veg out and on the days where I'm more active it really lets me be more active. (I don't know if any of that makes any sense or not) -Gary.

How wonderful! I've been getting in "sideways" for a few years now. You have given me hope that I can eventually get in the car right leg first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back