Getting closer and...hoping my rotten old hip can hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipster_chic

Country
United States United States
So as I'm approaching my Apr 30th surgery date, it seems like my darling old right hip is seriously going downhill....fast! My surgeon had me get off Meloxocam and start on Celebrex about a month ago, and since that time....ugh! I feel like someone stuffed rocks and pebbles into my hip joint - it's stiffer than it ever was, achy and just downright awful! And to think I used to moan and whine about the Meloxocam not really doing much for me....little did I know!

I'm going to let my surgeon know about this, but was wondering...has anyone else had this experience prior to their surgery? Not sure if this topic belongs here or in the Post Op forum, but thought I'd try here first.

Hi @hipster_chic Why the switch from Meloxicam to Celebrex?
Both of these you can take on the day of surgery according to my OS.

I have been on Meloxicam for a couple years. It seems to work well for all my other
aches and pains, but I have no idea if it does anything for the hip.

I did a dumb thing today. I have literally hundreds of river birch branches in my yard. After each storm I would
pick them up, but since August when pain began I stopped.
So I decided it looked awful in the yard, so today I figured I would pick them all up.
Spent 2 hours bending, moving, hauling, etc.
Oh my word. My groin ache is horrible. The opposite side of the ball hurts, too.
I hope I feel better tomorrow and not continue like this til the surgery April 10.

@MajorHeidi my surgeon wanted me off the Meloxicam before surgery so had me switch to Celebrex - I believe it has to do with the fact that Meloxicam is an NSAID and thins your blood, but Celebrex does not. I'll find out more when I talk to him. Sorry to hear that you're in pain too and hope you're feeling better before your big day.

Ms. Chic, I feel your rotten pain. For years, I've been reluctant to take any pain meds, restricting daily intake to an NSAID and muscle relaxant in the morning. This kept things down to a dull roar. If course I had to stop both last week pre-surgery and now I am barely able to walk or bend over. At the urging of my rheumatologist, I started taking Tramadol last week to get through the night, but hate to take it during the day because it makes me feel underwater. Having been physically active all my life, I remain astonished at the awful shape I'm in. I'm 'way older than you, so I can only imagine how ticked off you must be. Hang in!

@hipster_chic Hi Lisa...sad to hear your in so much pain. There is a quite of few of us in April..Glad we hip buddies on the 30th :) .hang in there ok and know I am keeping great thoughts :)

@MajorHeidi hoping you are feeling better tomorrow. Wishing u all the best on the 10th....:)

@BoomerBabe Welcome to BS first.... I have also been reluctant to take any pains meds. I do take and advil once in a while but just kinda deal with it. My doctor told me to take Tylenol pm when i can't sleep. That at least gets me to sleep through the night. I look forward sharing and hearing about your progress :)

@hipster_chic Hi Lisa...sad to hear your in so much pain. There is a quite of few of us in April..Glad we hip buddies on the 30th :) .hang in there ok and know I am keeping great thoughts :)
Yes @Sue629 and @hipster_chic another April 30 hip buddy here!
So sorry your in so much pain hipster but by the end of the month it will be the end of the pain
@MajorHeidi - oh Claire it sound like you really overdid it! Not long to go now for you though!
@BoomerBabe I would also like to welcome you and look forward to reading about your recovery. I also am astonished at how 'old' I have become in such a short period of time.

Thanks everyone! My OS says to give the Celebrex a little more time but is prescribing a narcotic just in case I need it to sleep :sad: We'll see how it goes. Wishing April 30th would just get here already!!!

Welcome @hipster_chic sorry to find you in so much pain. Are you taking anything else besides the Celebrex?

You have some great people her having surgery around the same time as you who will provide lots of support to you and well as the rest of Bonesmart.

Hopefully, April 30 comes around quicker and doesn't drag out for you

@Vetgirl I'm also taking Tylenol 500mg x 2, 2x/day. I also have AVN so there's a chance my hip is continuing it's collapse. Luckily my OS called in some stronger stuff, it should be ready at my pharmacy tomorrow so I may need to start taking that. Just trying to keep working til the 25th, so not sure how all that's going to play out. Luckily I don't need to walk much at work, but I do need my brain, so if it's strong drugs he's prescribing, I'm worried I'll be too loopy!!

Hi @hipster_chic wow...your hip sounds bad....I can see why you call it rotten and that you hope it will last.

So glad you are getting some stronger meds for your pain and I hope they don't make you too loopy

I usually hate strong meds but I found that when the pain warrants them they don't make me as loopy...I kinda think that when the pain isn't there, that's when they affect your brain but having said that I haven't had to work on heavy meds and like you wouldn't want to unless I had too

Hope they give you some relief!!!

@hipster_chic I had to stop my anti-inflammatory meds 2 weeks prior to surgery because of the blood thinning properties as well. That is probably the reason but check with OS to be sure. The only thing my OS would allow me to take was Tylenol which did nothing for the pain and Tramadol which helped but only minutely. Hope you can stay comfortable until your surgery. Will be watching for you on the other side!!

@hipster chic I was reading your thread and whenever I see someone else with AVN, it makes me perk up and want to read more. I was just like you, not sure if yours is bilateral or not, but the AVN SUCKS!!!! Mine progressed so rapidly the last couple weeks. I had a hard time getting comfortable, unless I was sitting. I finally had to start taking hydrocodone at the end just to make it through my day and even then I was completely shot at the end of the day...especially from all the limping I was doing. Don't worry....it will all be over with shortly and I know the wait is the worst, but there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!

@hipster_chic Nice pic :)...Hang in there ok...almost 2 weeks away and then it is our turn. We will rock this, I know we all will. We have great company on 4/30 with you and me, @fulafoto, and @jebrig3164. :friends:we.will slide down that rainbow :).....I am just getting all my things at the house done, hopefully will make it easier. Pre-testing on the 22nd. Hang in there my friend. :flwrysmile:

Thanks @Sue629 and yeah, I'm keeping busy getting things done as well! The Celebrex still isn't doing much for me and my OS prescribed OxyContin for when things get really out of hand, so I'm trying just to take it at night before bed. My pre-op is this week so keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well - I'm at the point where I just want to get this thing behind me!! And yes, it's good to have the April 30th hippie gang along for the ride: @fulafoto and @jebrig3164 :)

@hipster_chic I remember someone else with AVN post it was like broken glass in their joint, but rocks and pebbles works too. Pretty much the same as mine and mine deteriorated quickly too. I never have tried Celebrex, but the meloxicam was my standby too, but I also had to stop taking it 7 days before surgery.. @MajorHeidi she could take hers right up to the surgery date. My hip would kind of lock up when sitting in a certain position and hurt like crazy when I would have to stand up...the pain was incredible!!!

Hi @Plumberbutt and @hipster_chic Nice pic there!
I used Meloxicam up to the date and I saw that Celebrex could too, but for me, the Meloxicam didn't really
do very much I don't believe.......
Have restarted it again, but don't know if it did anything for the hips or just overall old age kinda stuff. Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks