Lounge Doctor

THR Getting back to normal

gopher

Country
United States United States
BTW, in general, from everyone; when would be the most likely time after surgery (no swelling, no bruising, etc.) to stop the iceing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
BTW, in general, from everyone; when would be the most likely time after surgery (no swelling, no bruising, etc.) to stop the iceing?
Will post a response on your thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@gopher You will notice I started a recovery thread for you. If you keep all your questions regarding your recovery here, we will have all your information in one place should we need to advise you.

Regarding your question, many of our members continue to ice for many months post op. You may think there is no swelling. But internal swelling can occur for quite awhile. Icing will reduce this and help you gain mobility.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Eman85

supremo
Country
I iced as I felt it was needed, I know I used ice extensively at 3 mos when I over did it with my left. If it feels good do it what can it hurt?

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
I iced regularly with an ice machine for the first 10 weeks or so @gopher, then continued with the ice machine at night for at least 5 months. I went back to work kind of early and it really helped to ice at night after an active day, kept from the next day being painful and swollen.

ForumUser

senior
Country
gopher,

Couple of months for glorious icing and elevating ... started to forget to do it as the faded beginning around a month.

OP
OP
G

gopher

Country
To some of you hippies that have had enough time to heal completely. Can I expect to someday get back to the point where I once was in life, will I be able to tie my shoes, cut my own toenails and sleep on my side again? Hope so! At what point (how many months) may that occur?

Thanks.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@gopher Yes, there will come a day when you just forget about having those hips replaced. However there is no timeframe for any of this. It's different for everyone.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @gopher
I want to think most of the goals you mention happened for me by about 6 months out but as Jaycey stated... Some members do this much earlier and some it takes up to a year or so.
I know you have number 2 coming along so that may slow you down a bit...but I think if you can try to look at this recovery taking a year, you will find that being patient will actually speed things up.

The sleeping on my side was a long time for me as a double hippy...but now I sleep like a baby.:sleep:

Mimicking

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Gopher. I am 5 months post op. All I can say is that everything is getting back to normal but at a slower pace, the advice given on this forum is excellent! Take your time it will all happen when your hip is strong enough. I have noticed that I can now bend more comfortably but still with caution I hear what you are saying.... I can’t wait to shave my legs oh oh too much info. I can now lie on my operated hip but after all these months sleeping on my back it is now how I prefer to sleep. Good luck to you and be patient , you will be there before you know it

Eman85

supremo
Country
I can tie my shoes, cut my nails and wash my feet and sleep on either side. Both hips were different and both had different timelines. I can tell you that there are moments and blocks of times I forget I have replacement hips, but I am reminded of it every day in one way or another. I can do anything I want to but there are certain aches and pains that remain and some come and go. I also use a little more caution when doing certain things as I'm more conscious of how much damage I might do if I fall. I also tend to clean up cuts and scratches more just out of concern for infections.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@gopher Everyone's journey through joint replacement is unique. And since you are having your hips replaced at different times it may take a while for you to get to the point where you no long think of having artificial hips and just get on with life. I had both hips replaced at the same time and because I'd limped and had fairly severe pain for quite a while it took me months to get back to being able to do mundane things like putting on socks, trimming toe nails, and tying shoes. Now 9+ years later I do all those things and more with no problem. IF you've had years of limping before getting to the point where you need joint replacements you might need some physical therapy to help strengthen the muscles around the hips. Hips themselves don't really need PT - walking is the best exercise.

For me it took about 3-4 months to get left foot onto right knee and nearly 9 months to get right foot onto left knee. But that's just my "unique" journey :)

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mouli
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts