Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Getting anxious!

Linda1

Country
United States United States
I will be having my right hip replaced June 4th. My story is on Oct 3, 2019 I had acetabuloplasy, femoroplasty, capsular repair and labral debridement. I was non weight bearing for 4 weeks. Once I started putting weight on my leg, the pain started. It has been progressively getting worse. I went three weeks ago to have a cortisone injection and when the doctor saw the pain I was having, he moved the conversation on to replacement. I now wish I would have had the replacement instead of the scope, but I wasn't given an option. I was told I still had joint space and very little arthritis. I don't know what went wrong, but for the last 8 months I have been using a walker or cane. The pain is worse than before surgery. It can bring on a wave of nausea if I move the wrong way. I'm praying that the replacement goes well and I can get back to being active. I'm 71, but I use to walk miles everyday, garden, and everyday stuff! I am very nervous about this upcoming surgery which isn't like me. Thanks for listening!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Linda1 - and :welome:

I'm not surprised you're apprehensive after your previous experience with hip surgery. You've had a pretty rough time.

The good news is that most people make a good recovery from hip replacement, with few complications.

By the time you come home from hospital, you should be able to got out of bed and back in by yourself, walk along a corridor, using a walker, and b able to toilet and wash yourself, as well as make a hot drink.

Because of the complications you've had after your first surgery, you may need to take little longer than some others, but hip replacement should work well for you.

Is the same surgeon doing your THR?

It normally takes about a year for complete recovery from a THR, but you should be able to do most things long before that.

This is the approach to recovery that we recommend:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, @Linda1.....welcome to BoneSmart. I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been through, but it's time to look forward to your new life with a new hip. This surgery is very successful and patients usually return to all their normal activities after recovery. There won't be a period of non-weight bearing like you had with the other procedures.

Do you know what approach your surgeon plans to use?

Last edited:

Hip4life

senior
Country
Oh, I feel for you. I endured pain long before we discovered I needed a THR. Take heart! This wonderful technology does wonders in giving you your life back. You’re understandably nervous and we’ll be here for you. We’ve been through it so we can help be your support structure. Only a couple of weeks to go for a new lease on life.

OP
OP
Linda1

Linda1

Country
Thanks for the support. The same doctor is doing the replacement. I feel comfortable with him. I believe it will be anterior approach. He took me off guard when replacement was brought up and I didn't think to ask questions. Hopefully at my prep op appointment I can get my questions answered. I appreciate your help and support.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Linda1 :wave: I'm sorry to read about your long and winding road to your THR surgery and can understand your apprehension. I remember how frightened I was to go for that first THR.. and then how relieved I was when it was over and how "easy" it was. As soon as the mangy old hip was replaced, things felt more stable and even though I had surgery pain, it wasn't like that horrible jagged, sharp pain that was there before.
Recovery takes time, but I think you will see a difference from what you experienced after your October surgery and experience. It will be good to follow your recovery.. Welcome to the forum!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to the forum. Perfectly normal to be worried and apprehensive especially as you just had a large procedure recently. All I can say that my hip replacements made my life possible again. I can walk where I want though I do use hiking poles when I go walking on uneven ground in my fields and I can garden again. In fact, I am rescuing my garden again this year after last year being unable to do anything due to pain. As I waited for my surgery I concentrated on two things, one getting ready for recovery and also imagining my life back without the pain and able to do things. This kept my jitters at bay and gave me a focus.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Linda1, I'm glad you'll have an opportunity to ask questions. One of the things we tell people to talk over with their surgeon is how many hip replacements (not hip surgeries) he does each year. Experience is very important to having good results. This is especially critical with the anterior approach, as it is a little trickier than the posterior or posterior-lateral. I'm glad you're comfortable with him so you can ask him questions.

Here is a great article in our BoneSmart Library that prepares you to talk with surgeons about upcoming joint replacements. There are some questions you should ask during your visit. You want to be very confident that he has done a lot of hip replacements and has had good success with the procedure.

KneeHelp

Country
Linda I was also really concerned about having hip replacement surgery. I was also in so much pain I knew my life could not continue without me being in a wheelchair. Everything I did caused pain.

It was also a scary time to be going into a building with so many people coming in and out!

I read that hip replacement surgery has become so common that it's the safest and easiest surgery to have. I dissagree, IMO, cataract surgery is. I actually looked forward to having my cataract surgery. I would be pain free for one whole afternoon!

There are very few complications or problems with THR surgery. I had to walk into the hospital and walk around to fill out travel questions and down a long hall way. I didn't think I was going to make it I was in so much pain.

After more questions and they started the IV my pain subsided. I woke up and almost immediately could tell a difference. I was using the walker to walk a little and I was able to go to the bathroom by myself with an aid standing by.

The surgery is life changing, honestly! I still need the other hip replacement in 6 months, but my pain level has dropped tremendous ly. I have zero pain using the bathroom. I can walk, slowly, unassisted. I make sure I stand straight and walk heel to toe.

After 2 weeks I tire easily, have trouble sleeping at night, but the agonizing pain is gone. My other problem was the 1 inch of the incision towards the crease of my hip. I am healing nicely, but since I'm sitting so much it was beginning to get irritated. I just cover it with a loose gauze pad to keep dry.

You'll be feeling so much better very soon after the surgery!

Last edited:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Linda1 :wave: and welcome, you've definitely come to them right place. Sorry you had to go through so much pain and the other surgery before you got to.where you are now. We're here to support you along the way, if you have questions, just ask. Somebody here has more than likely walked the same path you're going down.

OP
OP
Linda1

Linda1

Country
I had my pre op appointment and testing yesterday. Then today a phone visit with nurse. Was asked same questions as yesterday and told same information. But, I was told today to drink 10 oz of Gatorade on my ride to hospital the day of surgery. I found this strange. I also was told that I will have to spend one night in hospital and my surgeon will do a posterior approach. One week to go. This is getting real!

Sunbeam62

Country
I was instructed to drink lots of water and a Regular Gatorade the day before my surgery. They told me not to drink any red gatorade or the gatorade zero or other new flavors. I would double check because usually you don't eat or drink after midnight the day of surgery. I go in on June 2nd for my right hip replacement. Best wishes for you on your replacement!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
You do have the right to ask your surgeon for additional nights in the hospital if you feel you're not ready to go home. This may be a factor if you are home by yourself. You need to feel safe, so don't hesitate to talk over any concerns with your medical team in the hospital.

Good luck to you!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Linda1 You are right! Things ARE getting real, aren't they? I hope you will find, as I did that the next several days will zip by quickly.. several members have reported about instructions to drink gatorade, but will say that yours is the first I can recall saying to drink it on the way to the hospital.
That must be very beneficial because this has been repeated quite a bit on the forum recently.
I found with both of my THR surgeries that the surgical team took such good care of me from the minute I checked in that morning of surgery. I felt cared for and surprisingly calm-- I hope you find it the same for you.

OP
OP
Linda1

Linda1

Country
Is the lounge doctor pillow form worth the $100? How long would you need to use it?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
People swear by this pillow for the most part. You can use stacked pillows for elevation too. I did that before the Lounge Doctor and other foam elevation devices were on the market and it worked fine. Lounge Doctor does make a less expensive inflatable model, but I'm not sure it would be quite as comfortable.

You will need to elevate your leg for periods of time during at least the first 3 months of recovery. You want to do it whenever you are icing. A lot of people sleep with their leg elevated as well. It depends on what's comfortable for you. Each of us is a little different.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:the nervewracking lead up to surgery...you are going to be so happy to get rid of hip pain and be on the recovery road.
The waiting truly is the worst part.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Linda1 From what we see on this board recovery from THR is usually easier than from a scope. From the moment you wake up from the procedure all that bone on bone pain will be gone.

I look forward to following your recovery journey.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey Linda,
I hope you’re resting comfortably now that surgery is behind you. With any luck your pain is well managed and you’re going to be discharged for home soon. Please update us when you’re able on the Recovery side so we can leave you some beneficial guidelines and offer support and encouragement as you begin to heal.
Hope to see you there soon.
Hugs :)
@Linda1

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT