• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Getting Acquainted

RebeccaJHB

Country
United States United States
Hi! I had both knees replaced at the same time in 2017. Now the hips are gone. Right hip was replaced August 6, 2019. Now I am just trying to get the left replaced as soon as possible. Before the right was replaced, I had TERRIBLE pain. I tried everything I knew - exercise, rest, heat, cold, and Tylenol. I called the doctor's office and asked what I could do. The nurse called in a prescription for tramadol - one every six hours. It helped a bit, but there was only enough in the prescription for a week. I called back and asked for a refill, and she acted like I was being unreasonable - she said I was "supposed to make the medicine last." There was only enough in the prescription to last for a week when taken as directed. There was still nearly three weeks until my surgery date. She did call in a refill and once again directed me to "make it last." I did my best and had one more refill before surgery.

After surgery, I was amazed at how much better my hip felt! It was a bit stiff and sore, but nothing like the pain before surgery. In the hospital, they kept coming in and telling me I should take pain medicine so I would get better faster. But I was not having what I would call pain, so I refused. I went to a rehabilitation hospital after surgery because of personal circumstances and even ten days AFTER surgery, as I was leaving the rehab for home, they were STILL insisting that I should start taking oxycodone.

I just went back for my post-op check up and asked (okay complained) about why I was expected to just suck it up before, but pain medication was PUSHED on me afterwards. The nurse said it was a law that governed pain medication before surgery. She said if I have pain now with the left hip, they can prescribe something because it is after surgery for the right. This just rings false to me. Does anyone know if this is true? I am doing some internet searching, but so far have not come up with a law that governs pain medication before and after surgery. Anyone had similar experience?

Rebecca

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@RebeccaHB Unfortunately, I think what she told you is very common, they don't want you developing a tolerance to the pain meds and needing stronger doses post op. I've heard that the laws now limit doctors from prescribing pain meds when the patient hasn't had a debilitating injury/ surgery.
That being said, I'm so sorry you were struggling with pre op pain. It can get pretty awful, can't it?

And..... :welome: to BoneSmart!!. :loveshwr::happydance:
Can we have the surgery date of your upcoming THR? Or gosh, do you even have a date yet, I just realized you are early into your recovery with your right THR! How are you doing with your recovery? It sounds like you got off to a great start!!

The dates help us answer your questions (or give support) and a moderator can place those important details in your signature.. I see the date for your Right THR, how about your knees? That would be most helpful.

In the meantime, here are some great links with some helpful recovery tips.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

If you post your surgery dates here a moderator will soon have them included for you.

Pumpkln

Country
@RebeccaHB
You'll notice that I moved your newest thread to the Hip Recovery Forum. We prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Pumpkln

Country
Glad to hear you have done so well with your hip in recovery.
One reason they like to limit opioids prior to surgery is that it may lead to needing additional pain medication after surgery.
Sorry they did not listen to you after surgery when you said you did not need opioids. Pain is very individual, there is no one size fit all approach.

OP
OP
R

RebeccaJHB

Country
My total knee replacements (bi-lateral) were done on May 16, 2017. My right hip on August 6, 2019. My left hip is scheduled for Halloween 2019, but I am on the cancellation list. I told them as soon as they called me; I would be on the way. I hope that they will call me before Halloween. I think it is not sensible that she said that now that I have had one hip replaced, they can give me opioids. Won't it still cause the same tolerance problems for the second hip that they were worried about for the first hip?

I have always wished there were some way that a person could plug into another person's pain. If the doctor felt my pain, however briefly, he would know what level of pain relief I need. Unfortunately, that is impossible. I had the same pain experience with the knees - the pain was so much less AFTER surgery than before. With the knees, they gave me a prescription of 100 oxycodone with refills! I took four of them. They did not help the pain I had, so I stuck with Tylenol. The knees were very painful before replacement, but nothing like the pain I had with the hip!

I am walking 30 minutes every other day now, and doing the exercises from physical therapy every day. I go to the gym and ride the exercise bike a couple of times a week, too. Even though I have always gone to the gym and tried to stay in shape, there are some muscles that are still weak from many years ago. When I had physical therapy for the knees (before surgery) they said my gluteus medius was weak - other muscles had taken over what it (they) should be doing. Those poor muscles just can't figure out what to do!

Oh, I didn't move the thread - must have been someone else.

Rebecca

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@RebeccaHB ... very strange that they offered you opioids when you didn't request them after surgery. Great to hear that you pain is seemingly minimal!!!!!!!

To your first concern, a lot of states have indeed passed laws putting serious restrictions on doctors prescribing opioids. And starting a patient on a "new" opioid prescription before surgery ... is increasingly hard. You can google to find if your state has passed a specific law.

Have no idea if your nurse exaggerated, but states have been placing limits, like really specific limits.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Rebecca,
Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry for the circumstances you're in and hoping a cancelation occurs so you're able to move up your
surgery date, bringing you relief sooner.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@RebeccaHB

OP
OP
R

RebeccaJHB

Country
Finished physical therapy for the right hip - I could do so much more if the left one was replaced.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Happy Monday
I'm sorry you have to wait longer.
At least tomorrow you'll be within the month and we can keep our fingers crossed you score on a cancelation. :fingersx:
Hang in there. Hoping you can find some comfort.
@RebeccaHB

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@RebeccaHB I interviewed two hip surgeons in the last two weeks. One said no opioids 4 weeks before surgery, the other said 3 weeks. I think the consensus is they want their pain protocol after surgery to work as well as it can, so you can get off the new meds sooner.
I bought a Breg Polarcare Kodak Cold Therapy system with an extended hip pad, used on e-bay, sanitized it, and I am using it for pain management before surgery, at this point. I have it on for the first time today. I will see how much it helps.

OP
OP
R

RebeccaJHB

Country
I say the excuse that you need the pain protocol to work after the surgery is complete BALONEY! My pain was so much worse before surgery than after. Maybe I am an unusual case, but the same was true with my knee replacements and with right hip replacement. Come to think of it, I had the same experience when I had foot surgery years ago. I am waiting to see if it is true with the left hip. So far the left is not hurting as much as the right, but I have the whole month of October for it to get worse.

Still, I did find out that there is a state law limiting the pain medication before surgery. I don't think that lawmakers are the right people to decide medical needs. Doctors are the ones with medical training; they should have the authority for prescribing medications. It is too bad that a doctor can't feel the level of pain that his/her patients are experiencing.

After surgery I didn't have the range of motion that I had normally and my hip was stiff and sore, but I didn't have the debilitating pain even when I wasn't moving that I had before surgery.

Thank you for your kind words, Layla!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello :wave:
You're welcome!

Let's hope your left hip doesn't get too miserable before the end of the month. Wishing you comfort and hoping time flies. I'll bet you'll be feeling pretty good by the holidays and strong in the new year.
Have a nice weekend! :)
@RebeccaHB

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Thank you. I plan to be back kicking by the new year.

Rebecca
Ahh, thats a nice goal to look forward to. We will be here, cheering you on!! :yes!::flwrysmile:

I hope you get a nice surprise phone call telling you that your surgery can be moved up.

Last edited:

Debru4

graduate
Country
I am unable to take either NSAIDS, or opiods due to allergic reactions. As someone who had to deal with severe pain from osteoarthritis of my hip 1 1/2 years ago, as well as severe sciatica and pain 10 years ago from spinal stenosis of my back and a herniated disk, and a C Section long ago, I agree wholeheartedly that the options for pain management prior to and after surgery leave a lot to be desired.

I completely support the current view to limit opiods as much as possible in order to avoid addiction, but also feel we can do better scientifically to come up with better ways to manage pain. I have done massage, ice, special pillows, CBD lotions and capsules, acetaminophen, acupuncture, chiropractory, PT, and steroid injections along with other strategies.. None totally addressed my pain, and most of these had to be covered financially out of pocket. It seems as a country we can do more scientifically/medically to support people who have pain, rather than throw opiods at them, or expect them to figure it out on their own. However, given that reality, for those in severe pain, it doesn't seem right to do what you are describing and wait until the surgery/chronic pain has passed and then offer pain relief. Do you think it is mainly to avoid option dependence? My surgeon told me prior to surgery that he would prescribe a small does of Tramedol ( which I can take) but would not offer anything stronger---if I couldn't handle the pain I would need to to the surgery. This worded fine for me, given I knew my history with the meds. But it still seemed like an inadequate set of options.

OP
OP
R

RebeccaJHB

Country
Wonderful post, Debru4!

I just had my second hip replaced today. I am in the hospital, feeling well and rarin' to go! But the spinal block has completely worn off yet, so I will wait awhile to start dancing.

OP
OP
R

RebeccaJHB

Country
I'm going to transfer from the hospital to the rehab today. I would recommend going to rehab after knee or hip replacement. They really get you up and going quickly!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Witchhazel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom