TKR Gerry316's Recovery Thread

Gerry316

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there I am 10 days post tkr had my first replacement March 2018. I’m doing exercises but not three times a day more like once a day I’ve been in a lot of pain . What meds are you taking, aries? I see you're in UK and same age as me . I'm having clips out this Thursday - onwards and upwards.

Regards,
Gerry

Hi Gerry,
good to hear from you. I had surgery on 31st January and due to have staples removed on 14th Feb. Really looking forward to that. Hopefully, leg will feel more comfortable then.
I am managing pain with paracetamol and ibruprofen. I am also using ice as much as possible. I purchased a new ice wrap from Amazon yezterday which is very helpful.I find the stronger pain meds just knock me out and make me feel awful.
Hope that your recovery is going well.

Hi @Gerry316 , and :welome:

I've copied your post from aries' thread and started a recovery thread for you, so we can advise you here, without disrupting her thread.
I've also copied her response to your post.

On your thread, the main focus should be on your knee and your recovery, while aries' thread should be mostly about her knee and her recovery.

Please will you tell us the full dates of both your knee replacements and which knee it was each time, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Since the exercises were hurting your knee, you did right to cut them back. Pain is a warning that you are doing too much for your knee at that particular time in recovery.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new knee:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello all I had my first total knee replacement March 7th 2018 on my right knee.it was a great success and therefore decided to have left knee done this was done on 1st feb this year had clips out today and all going well im65/female and from uk

Thank you for your surgery dates, @Gerry316 .
I've done your signature and added you to the February Valentines surgery list.

How are you getting on?

Hi there I’m getting there I say to myself it’s early days yet .I do think though that this time it doesn’t seem so painful .Had clips out Thursday so had my first shower Thursday it’s so nice when you can have a proper wash .good luck everyone it’s a slow process but well all get there

Hi Gerry
Glad to hear that things are going well for you. It is nice to have staples removed, as it makes things slightly easier.
Had my staples removed yesterday.Unfortunately, one staple was crooked and nurse struggled to get it out. Consequently, it started to bleed, and as I was still using Clexane injections, it was quite dramatic. Nurse put a couple of steri strips on so hopefully all will be OK.

Early days, for sure. Things do improve, then, sometimes, they regress a little, then they improve more. I’ve found this forum so helpful to get through the process and celebrate the progress. Happy days!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom