TKR Genetic predisposition to formulation of scar tissue

goldcoaster4221

Country
Australia Australia
Hi, I am wanting to connect with anyone who has worked with a physiotherapist to succesfully break up scar tissue after 8 months after tka and arthroscopic lysis - who, like me has a genetic predisposition to producing collagen as the body's immune system response to the surgical traumas

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Please share the exact date of your TKR and which knee was replaced so we're able to create a signature for you.This information is helpful for those stopping by to comment to see how far along you are in recovery.

Some may catch your post and comment if they're familiar with the procedure, but your best bet for information here may be to use the SEARCH function at the top right of the page typing in key words - arthroscopic lysis - then all threads where it was mentioned will pop up for you to read if interested.

I did this and found something Admin shared awhile back -

"If your surgeon is proposing to do a lysis of adhesions, be sure that he or she is experienced in this procedure. Although it's done via arthroscopy, it can be very tricky to do it correctly and whoever might perform this procedure for you needs to be well skilled and have successfully treated others this way. Ask a lot of questions of anyone you are considering for surgery."

An old BoneSmart colleague that experienced the procedure posted the following -

"My surgeon stressed with me that if you exercise or push on an inflamed and hot knee, you contribute to the development of scar tissue. I did almost nothing for eight weeks---just gentle stretches and then began to do more."

Hopefully you'll receive additional feedback. Please stay in touch and let us know how it's working out for you as your experience may benefit someone else going forward.

Wishing you all the best!
@goldcoaster4221

Hello,
I have had so many surgeries so it’s hard to recall but I believe I’ve had arthroscopic surgery in the past to remove scar tissue. Not sure if it worked as I had more surgeries later which of course contributes to more scar tissue. But eventually my right knee, although much larger and almost deformed looking, doesn’t have any more stiffness or pain. I believe biking has what has helped with my knee. Passive slow biking after surgeries then eventually mountain biking. But my doctor believes that scar tissue growth is why my ligaments have stretched so I now where a brace permanently or until I decide to find another doctor. Not sure if this helps at all. I also had lots of PT and feel some of them had helped to break up tissue by massaging. I have also had PRP and shockwave treatments recently to try to get the ligaments to recover. Did not work for this but I believe it helped with stiffness and pain. Both are not yet covered by insurance but we’re worth it for me. You might try to see if either can help with scar tissue. Shovewave is simple and might help. Not sure about PRP. They are treated through a PT facility usually. Good luck!

Hi, I am wanting to connect with anyone who has worked with a physiotherapist to succesfully break up scar tissue after 8 months after tka and arthroscopic lysis - who, like me has a genetic predisposition to producing collagen as the body's immune system response to the surgical traumas

@goldcoaster4221 , you are looking for the holy grail. I am in a similar situation as you and sure would like to know if you find such a treatment. I have done a lot of looking and all the various treatments that claim to break up deep scar tissue are not backed up by any solid studies, unfortunately.

There is a potentially promising pharmacological treatment being developed by a company here in Boston but they are a long way from being able to offer a treatment to the public, and that is if it is proven.

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Yes, indeed WFD - I believe we need to find the holy grail - but I'm up for it!
I had a second opinion from another surgeon yesterday and the general concensus is that a revision TKA will be the last resort for me due to my probable genetic predisposition. I have now set myself a task to explore some 22 non-surgical strategies to reduce ECM deposition, reestablish a functioning neural communicalion system between my cerebellum, knee joint, muscles, ligaments and tendons, to aim at a gradual increase in both flexion and extension ROMs.
I would love to hear from anyone who has explored any of the non-surgical options.
I am a chronologically aged 77 year old (biological age 55!) - now 8.5 months post TKA and 5 months post arthroscopic lysis - which reminds me to post a summary of my situation.
Who is up for the challenge?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom