ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

THR GeeDee's recovery diary

GeeDee

Country
Canada Canada
I just joined the forum today, what a great place for information, advice and reassurance! I had RTHR lateral approach on Oct 5th 2020 so I am almost 4 weeks post op, I too have a substantial LLD when measured from the ground it is an entire inch and a half, I was devastated and cried for days, I was embarrassed and hated the fact I would now have this extreme disability and not likely be able to work again or enjoy life as I knew it.
Like everyone else my OS told me to wait until my 12 week mark as some of this will work itself out over time as I was healing and my body was adjusting. My X-rays do show an 11mm difference, that he said is the actual discrepancy and not the inch and a half that I am self measuring! I had hip protrusion, and had so much pelvic damage from years of limping that he said he actually just put everything back where it belongs.
I hope to have my left hip done in 2 months time and hopefully it will all even out for me then, but in the meantime I notice when walking with the cane It isn’t as predominant but, if I walk on my own, I’m a total penguin and I am extremely self conscious about it, my tip to you is - I have noticed if I really concentrate on my heel toe walk In a straight line my limp seems to improve and is less noticeable. My PT said in most cases it will improve with time as your muscles strengthen and stretch and It will be much less noticeable and may not even require much of a lift if any.....I’m wondering now
@MountainLover at almost 9 weeks post op if you have noticed it getting any better?

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi, and :welome: to Bonesmart.

The feeling of leg length discrepancy is a common concern with almost every new hippie. Just give it time - 3-4 months post op. In most cases this feeling just fades. Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD

I know I wasn't given alot if information on the fine nuances of hip recovery hiccups, so everything can seem major. Thank goodness for the forum as I found alot of reassurance through shared experience here.
This was a major surgery with lots of adjustments...so try to relax and take things slow and steady. In my opinion... Your OS and PT are telling you the right things, so keep the faith.

The heel/toe walking practice is one that has helped many new hippys and if you can find balance between resting and activity, alot of the tightness will eventually resolve which really is key to getting back to normal.
I'll leave you the recovery guidelines below.
Hope today is a Good Day.:SUNsmile:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
G

GeeDee

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you @Mojo333 , I do hope that this will start to feel more like 11 mm and not the inch and a half that it measures, I find reassurance in the read you linked .....I have actually followed a lot of your forums as I see your a double hippie with no regrets!
It’s very encouraging to read your story and see such a positive attitude, I will be getting my left done as soon as my OS gives me the green light, I hope to be fully back to work after after a 16 week recovery, is that to much of an expectation after having both hips replaced? I am on my feet moving 8 hrs a day, but I am left with no choice really...any tips for a quicker recovery? I try not to over do it with at home exercises, I currently do a few squats, balance stands on operated leg, knee bends, and ankle lifts , I do however try to continue my everyday chores like laundry, vacuuming , cooking, thing I would do in a normal day, is this too much at 4 weeks?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I understand your concern, but at only three and a half weeks post op and possibly only two months until you have your second (left) hip done, hold onto hope that all will even out in the end. Heel-toe walking does take some concentration. I found it helpful in losing the limp I carried into early recovery.

Wishing you all the best as you continue healing. Stick with us, we’d love to support and encourage you as you move toward your next surgery / recovery.
Happy Thursday! :)
@Geeee

OP
OP
G

GeeDee

Country
Canada Canada
Absolutely you can’t get rid of me now! This forum is the best of the best on the internet to empower strength, courage and hope, while also helping with fears ,concerns and anxiety, everyone on here understands what you are going through and can relate I. One way or the other, I have a great support group of friends and family at home, but NONE of them have ever been through anything like this and I’m tired of hearing “Don’t worry it will all be fine” so easy to say when your not the one recovering from THR ...Thanks to this group I have come out of my depression and finally feel like normal again!!! ❤

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for the wonderful feedback. We’re happy you’ve joined us and appreciate your kind words in regard to BoneSmart. We’re here for you always, lights never go out.
A great day to you!
@Geeee

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and Welcome. This forum helped me so much through all my joint replacements and the information here kept me from getting too crazy. Slow and steady mindset with lots of icing and elevation were key to my recoveries. Wishing you a peaceful day. :flwrysmile:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Geeee or @GeeDee
From the posts on this thread, it appears that you are using two different identities here on BoneSmart.

We don't allow that, so please reply as soon as possible and tell us which name you wish to keep as your username and we will merge your two accounts.
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

MountainLover

Country
Hi Geegee. What a relief that your LLD is closer to 11 mm. That would be less than 1/2 inch and sounds pretty similar to mine. I tried to get used to it, and I can walk barefoot in my house with that discrepancy. When I want to walk longer distances I use a 1/4 inch lift which splits the difference. I can still feel it, but it prevents pain on the side of my hip. Please be aware that the moderators of this site really recommend trying to deal with it for 3 months or so because we can get used to quite a lot.

Best wishes on your continued recovery and on your future surgery for the other hip.

OP
OP
G

GeeDee

Country
Canada Canada
Sorry about the alter ego, lol I did try to join previous but did not think it had linked To my email properly so I tried again, Im not sure why I have different ages, Hahaa but I am def 55 and not 54 must have hit the wrong month, I’ll keep stick with GeeDee, sorry about the mix up!

OP
OP
G

GeeDee

Country
Canada Canada
@MountainLover, so it hasn’t fully evened out for you yet, but do you feel like it is slowly changing?
I feel like mine is a bit , and I hope in time it will get to the diagnosed 11mm and not the 1 1/2 inches that it seems to be right now, I do feel like I can stand much better now flat footed and not wobble so much when I walk, slow and steady seems to be the key, I am fortunate that I will have a chance to level out hopefully with my next surgery, can I ask how you were measured? My OS told me not to go by what my PT measured with the shoe lifts ( 1 1/2 inches) he laid me flat on a table aligned my feet and hips and then said it was approx 1 cm, one week later my follow up X-ray confirmed this and showed 11mm , he said this was the true LLD he then explained to me that the tendons and muscles were like loose elastics pre surgery due to severe and limited ROM , now as I heal and strengthen the muscles eventually everything will begin to tighten back up like a rubber band and snap back into place , once that happens the leg won’t feel so long and out of place, it made sense to me, I hope it does to you as well.....keep the faith that it is still early into your recovery and still may correct itself with time....I was warned against a lift until at least the 12-16 week mark as the LLD would not adjust naturally, but that being said, I will always have to use my cane when out in public until that happens.....

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Sorry about the alter ego, lol I did try to join previous but did not think it had linked To my email properly so I tried again, Im not sure why I have different ages, Hahaa but I am def 55 and not 54 must have hit the wrong month, I’ll keep stick with GeeDee, sorry about the mix up!
Than you for responding so quickly.
I will ask our Administrators to merge your accounts and keep your username as GeeDee.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@GeeDee Your accounts are now merged. Please continue to use GeeDee as your user name.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary, GD :wave:
Wishing you steady progress and hope you’re feeling stronger and steadier week by week.
Happy Friday...hope your weekend is a good one!
@GeeDee

OP
OP
G

GeeDee

Country
Canada Canada
@Layla thank you so much, what a difference a few weeks can make! I am now without a cane in the house and was able to ditch my seat riser today! Thankfully my mobility gets a little better with each day and with it I am coming out of self hibernation it is so nice to be able to complete some tasks around the house again and I am becoming a little more independant ....I can’t wait to be driving again!!!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Doddy
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom