BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Gecko's recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by gecko, Oct 31, 2018.

1. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    Hey @gecko
    Sounds amazing having Mama Gecko arrive!! I wish you such a happy visit.

The swelling is probably the ODIC club. Sounds like you have really been on it and not just the normal easy walking but all the pushing /pulling and leaning.
    Laying on that side may definitely cause fluids to pool on the low points if the body like I described in one of my posts but not sure if it causes it.

Enjoy the holidays! Hope :santawave: spoils you as you deserve.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Since you're so early in your recovery, you should be icing and elevating all night, too. I kept my LD in bed with me in the middle. Every so often I'd come off of it and lay on my side. Soon, my knee would start to hurt and I'd put it back on the LD. This really helped to keep my swelling and pain down.

BTW, you should have let your husband do all that manual labor! You now have to recoup from that by extra icing, elevating and rest. It's not worth i,t but I bet your house is sparkling! Enjoy your work!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I did the same thing with elevating all night. From time to time I'd venture onto sleeping on my side (much preferred) and when I'd wake up with a nagging knee or two, I'd prop them right back up on my wedge and sleep that way. Elevating really helped keep down my swelling, and my pain also as a result.

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I slept on my wedge all night, every night, also.

5. beachy

beachy post-grad

Easy does it Gecko!
    If only I listened to my own advice each time I joined the ODIC.
    It's inevitable and most of us do it. Get the swelling down so you can enjoy your mom and Christmas.
    Hang in there!

6. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Hi every one , thought I should find time between christmas preperations and enjoying my lovely Mum's company to give you an update☺

I was in the ODIC club for 4 days after my mad weekend preparing my house for my Mum, finally feeling better in the last few days, managing to do most things to keep the family going , I even managed to get upstairs 25 steps to get a couple of christmas presents that needed wrapping, was so glad I have been reading about the stairs here because mine are quite steep, mum thought it was hillarious watching me come down backwards.:box:

Well I went to see my surgeon for my 6 week checkup, number 1 knee, and 4 week checkup number 2 knee, he asked what physio I had been doing and when I explained I had only been once so far he told me not to bother, as he was really happy with my numbers 1st knee still 90 with full extension, but it is still the one I struggle with most it is always swollen, 2nd knee 110 with full extension,
    He asked what was the regime I was following for excersise and I again told him of the bonesmart way, it is really working for you was his reply :yes!: you dont need physio, he was that pleased with 2nd knee he has cleared me to drive my car at 4 weeks post op:loveshwr:when I got up to leave he gave me a quizzical look and asked were my crutches were, I sheepishly answered in the waiting room with my daughter I forgot them:rotfl:

Again Bonesmart proves to be amazing so :thankyou:

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Mom2Lucy

Mom2Lucy senior

Canada Canada
    What an awesome visit you had with your surgeon! And driving at 4 weeks!

8. beachy

beachy post-grad

Wow, Wonder Woman! Great report!
    We miss you in the ODIC, but glad you're better.
    It must be great to have your mum with you.

9. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a wonderful testament how well the Bonesmart way is working for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Good morning everyone,

@Mom2Lucy yes it was a great visit with OS, I was so relieved, and though I am glad to be able to drive it wont be long distance just long enough to get me into the nearest town (24kilometers ) to get supplies if needed, had a practice drive around the paddock yesterday and it did not worry number 2 knee at all

@beachy Wonder woman...now were can I get that costume..:rotfl:
    I am having the best visit with my mum, it is like the blind leading the blind though as she is revovering from a high broken femur (broke the ball off) after a fall at home, yesterday we did some Christmas cooking together it was so nice,
    Hope things are getting better for both yourself and your husband :flwrysmile:

@sistersinhim I think you can tell I dont post lots on Bonesmart and always forget to rate posts, but I am always reading what to do, when to do it, and how best to do it, Bonesmart is the most sensible way to recover from any kind of replacement, what baffels me is how come OS and PT cant see this:bawl:

Taking Mum for coffee this morning will be good to get out of the house for a bit:loveshwr:

• Like Like x 3
  11. kmak81230

kmak81230 post-grad

what a great uplifting report! You are doing awesome -- so glad your surgeon is on board and positive about your recovery and BS. Enjoy your time with your mum!!!

12. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

Enjoy your visit with your Mum!!

13. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Morning, I am back, yes back in the ODIC club but it was so worth it cant do much but elevate and ice today any way it is sooo hot 39 degrees celsius, :ice:but this morning earlier when it was not so hot I finally went to check out my Slipper Orchids :yes!:they were in bloom so excited then when I got back to the house I had a gorgeous Goanna sitting on my window I will try to upload a photo of both, the Slipper Orchid as promised and the Goanna just cause :loveshwr: View attachment 70418 View attachment 70418

14. kmak81230

kmak81230 post-grad

Darn - I could not open the attachments. Sorry to hear you are in the ODIC -- sometimes we just have to be, right :heehee:. I was today also because I did a little too much pedaling yesterday when I could finally do a backwards revolution on the bike. I hope you can figure out how to attach the photos. I have not seen a Goanna since I was in Australia :) - and I would love to see the orchid.

15. Mom2Lucy

Mom2Lucy senior

Canada Canada
    I couldn’t open them either, darn.Sorry to hear you’re in the ODIC club @gecko.
    @beachy is the President of the club and I’m the current Vice President. I’m willing to relinquish my crown anytime :rotfl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Sorry sorry still trying to attach them , darn keeps telling me my image is to big

17. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    20181222_133846.jpg received_2193490567361277.jpeg :yes!:I got them down loaded hope they will look ok :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  18. Newboots

Newboots member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great pics. How big was the Goanna? I remember driving down from Armidale to Coffs Harbour NSW with a little penny lizard on my foot . I was the passenger but daren't move for fear of squashing it !

19. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Hi Newboots it was a big one about a foot long I'd say, was lovely thought it was a racehorse goanna at first☺

• Like Like x 1
  20. kmak81230

kmak81230 post-grad

I love that orchid!!! How special. A foot long Goanna - wow:bolt:thanks for sharing the photos

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018