BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Gecko's recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by gecko, Oct 31, 2018.

1. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Thankyou @sistersinhim It was a very busy but fun day, but alas no sleep still,
    now thank you @Jockette @traceys and @beachy glad you like the top one and from beachys discription I guess it is the one that is not my avatar, did you realise that was the mask I made for my dress up costume at halloween :))

Glad your all out there fellow smarties couldnt run this race without you Chris:flwrysmile:

PS: I actually had a bath this evening a nice relxing radox bath, it was fab so what if it took me 10 minutes to get out .... I did it goodnight all talk on the morrow

• Like Like x 3
  2. beachy

beachy post-grad

United States United States
    Wahhhhhhh! The mask looks like a real gecko face! You're scary to get it so real lol!

3. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Good evening all happy to report things are good,

Though I did go to town and forgot my crutches, I had to get from my car to the nearest trolley subtley guiding myself along car by car, dont really need them any more and usualy only take one to use as a cane just in case, but just a little scared some one will knock me.

I am running on only 4 hours sleep as usual and that was in two 2 hour lots, I hate trying to sleep, its hard because I am in no pain when I go to bed and by the time I get comfy they are both irritated, I must not move at all because I wake up in such pain , I have to take a wonder around the house to settle them, but this to shall pass.

Feeling so much more supple in number 1 knee since managing to do rotations on the bike, feel like I have taken a huge step :)

Have made an appointment with GP to get a clearance for work and would like to start back on the 18/02/19 that will be 3months and 5 days after last TKR , doing 2 × 6 hour shifts per week for first 2 weeks then see how we go from there

Chris☺

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. beachy

beachy post-grad

Wonderwoman!

5. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Morning all couldnt resist this on facebook this morning a different take on my usual little verse a bit funny.
    After reading on here yesterday, I searched for something to make me sleep no point paying out all that money if it does not work, and yay!!!! 5 hours in a row ...amazing.

@beachy you are pretty amazing your self, but thankyou , I am sure a lot of the credit should go to all my special friends here at bonesmart,

Hope you all have a fantabulose sleep
    Chris:flwrysmile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    @gecko

Standing ovation. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Hi all, well a bit oh hum!!! sorry for not posting, I am just a little frustrated with ....STUFF...worked hard to get my back to work clearance which I recieved on Friday just gone, excitedly phoned work to give them my news and though they are real pleased to have me back on the books there may not be any work in the short term, at least until after March, I was devastated, I am casual you see so am real bummed out at the minute
    My hubby and I have just started a new buisness (a timber mill) and he is desperate to finish his current job so he can operate it full time and not just on weekends, but this cant happen until I get back to work

Chris:bawl:

8. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    Oh @gecko

:tiredwheel:

That’s crazy and so frustrating. But what a new adventure!! Maybe it’s fates way of telling you to take a bit more you time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. beachy

beachy post-grad

Ughh. It's always something! Hope work needs you sooner than later.

10. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    @beachy and @traceys they did yay!!!!! I popped in to take original work clearance from surgeon, was chatting to the girls about coming back when there was some hours available, they were so excited for me made me feel much better, they were saying we will call you first if anyone is of sick, or I could do with some time off , the Nurse Director must of heard as she came out of her office and said looks like I better find you some hours, and gave me a big hug I LOVE MY JOB, I am doing on call from 1st through to 3rd March and 2 definite shifts the following week, it's a start and I am so pleased
    Oh forgot , I'm in the Odic club again :groan:decided to wear my old work shoes for the whole of that day, did shopping ,visiting and stuff, wrong thing to do woke up this morning with a large swelling medial side of nimbles knee, like it was floppy swelling so ice and elevate, feeling not so bad now, Guess I need to go work shoe shopping

11. beachy

beachy post-grad

12. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    @gecko :happydance:

Soooo happy for you! It will help so much bring around people that love you and keep your mind busy.

I know what you mean about shoes. Just bought new runners on weekend and such a diff

13. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Thank you @beachy and @traceys , it was a great releif for me.
    Also, just a little bit of news My hospital is a regional one and on most late shifts and night shifts we are only 2 nurses 1 RN and 1 EN my concern was if we had a patient collapse on the floor I would not be able to get down to assist with CPR , so I have been practising and have managed to be able to get into knights position, kneeling on november nimbles knee, it feels odd but each time I do it I feel more confident, October fiestie say's "go on I dare you do that again" being the very obedient knee owner I dont push it LOL!!!
    Hoping all of my fellow bone smarties are doing well, and thankyou all again for being there

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    :rotfl: You weren’t the kid that took a double dog dare we’re you?! Lol

15. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    @traceys,
    Self preservation youg lady Self preservation if fiestie Knee don't wanna play then thats just fine by me nooooo wayyyy going to upset my problem child before I get back to work LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    Besides when fiestie realises nimbles is getting all the attention she might buck up her idea's and come to the party :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    So not back at work as yet, but have decided to do a days work at home every day this week, bought new work shoes and am wearing them whilst I work,
    Have only one more thing to move upstairs and that is me, will be up there by Friday, have dis-assembeled my nest in both rooms, took back all borrowed equipment except for crutches though have not used them for 2 weeks
    First 2 days were tough but took an extra dose of paracetamol at lunch today ( 2x 500mg 3 times a day) and that really helped,
    So what have I acheived you say well apart from lugging the furniture (I had a busy bee Sunday afternoon family came to help ) I have bought my office from upstairs down, and set up in room I have been sleeping in for recovery, moved the other spare room upstairs to were office was, and moved bedroom furniture that was in new office room into spare room, all the while decluttering threw out so much stuff it was hard work but theraputic as well,
    I plan to do the outside tomorrow as Hubby is having a birthday Saturday and we are having a BBQ to celebrate 4 couples in all attending one couple staying for 4 days,
    I am very pleased to say that having my knee's replaced was the best thing I could of done, and getting into a regular sleeping pattern was a turning point for me, they are still stiff at times and swell if I over work them but they dont pain me with each step as they did before, one very estatic bone smartie here.

Can not thank you all enough your help and support, your understanding of my tears and fears, and the ability to make me laugh through out this ordeal , is nothing short of amazing, and I will be for ever grateful to the many great friends I have made along the way

• Like Like x 3
  18. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    @gecko

:wow::yahoo:

Look at you! Unbelievable change suddenly. Back to the land of the nimble knee.

Hope you have a fab time with the bday. Overdo it on cake and wine and friends and don’t regret a moment of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yippee, yay, yahoo! That's what we all are striving for. You have achieved it. What a wonderful post. It makes us feel good.

20. beachy

beachy post-grad

Youv e come a long way, my friend!
    Way to represent the Fiesties and the Nimbles!