Gearing up for round 2

svo1956

Country
United States United States
LTKR on July 17. Did the right knee 3 years ago. Really dreading those first few weeks!

What was the most challenging for you in early days?

Even though I had greater mobility than I expected and was prepared for pain, it was how difficult it was just to get clean and get dressed, how long everything took, how exhausted I was. I got pretty blue. I couldn’t sleep. I hated the days in the hospital. But you know, everything went really well and maybe I’ll have some strategies this time that I didn’t last time. I didn’t have nausea or any complications. In the first week I tried too hard to limit the dilaudid, this time I will take whatever I’m allowed.

I'm with you on anticipating the slow return ... I guess it's a chance to work on mindfulness, though I don't know how mindful I can be if bathing and dressing take half the day! :yikes:

I had some a challenges! Pain, ambulation, showering, dressing, was not problematic. You never know what can come up unexpectedly. I just dealt with it, and it finally subside. Overall my recovery was smooth, and problem free.

The recovery time is never easy and none of us look forward to that. I'm trying to focus on how this will help me take my life back, instead of stressing over the recovery. Although this recovery is unlike any other I've had, it's still not easy. I have little to no pain, and because I'm not taking any narcotics for pain, I'm clear-headed and wide awake. That leaves me super bored as I still have to allow my knee to recover before I can do anything and so I am still following the "Activity Progression for TKRs" from this site.

Generally when we're in pain, we're medicated which, in my case, causes me to mostly sleep, so I'm not alert enough to be bored. But spending my days icing and elevating and the rest of the progression needed, is difficult when the rest of me is rarin' to go. Granted, I'd much rather be bored than in a lot of pain, but either way, the recovery is a long road. And I still have to watch how much I do as my knee will swell and ache if I do very much, and since I can't take any meds for the pain, and only have my ice machine to help, I have to be very careful not to overdo lest I set off pain I can't control.

Just remember to ice and elevate as often and as long as possible, take your meds on a regular schedule so as to not get behind on the pain, and think about all you'll be able to do when your recovery is complete! Good luck!

"it was how difficult it was just to get clean and get dressed, how long everything took, how exhausted I was. I got pretty blue" I'm sure I didn't quote that correctly...still learning

That's how I am now, pre op. So I guess it won't be a big adjustment for me in recovery.
It's so frustrating now with no end in sight except the BTKR.

Not sure I remember exactly why it felt so difficult at times. It may not make any difference, but this time, unlike last, I am going to have an ice machine and a “lounge doctor” to elevate. I don’t think I elevated properly or iced enough. Still - it wasn’t really the pain that made it most challenging. And I got decent mobility pretty quickly. But other associated aches and pains (bad IT band problem that also went to my hip), despising the TED stockings in the summer heat, not being able to even sit comfortably for a long time...I am focusing on regaining quality of life and don’t have any ambivalence about doing it. Also, last time my young adult son was home for the summer and helped but that caused stress between us and I’m sure it was really hard for him to see me dependent. This time I will go to my sister’s from the hospital until I feel I can manage at home alone. So, I hope the changes will alleviate some of the worst of it. Right now, just want the day to come and get it over with...Thanks for the positive thoughts!

I’ll send baskets of positive vibes your way and hope this second knee goes even more smoothly than your first.

It’s the stuff that blindsides us that really get us down and cause us to whine in frustration. Like you I got up and about easily enough, and the pain wasn’t all that bad, and in general my recovery was good... but things do take longer, from small tasks to recovery as a whole, and it’s difficult sometimes to keep ones spirits up and bubbly.

I hope you and your son recovered from your recovery! Children, even more than spouses, have trouble seeing their parents weak or injured. As children we were practically gods to them! Seeing us as mere, and rather pathetic humans, can trouble them deeply.

My son was deployed to the worst places on earth as a Marine. He cringes at the thought of Momma having this surgery.

My son was deployed to the worst places on earth as a Marine. He cringes at the thought of Momma having this surgery.

Sometimes I do, too...but...nothing's going to get better without it. And, I'm really tired of not being able to get around...8 months ago, I was walking 3+ miles/day, 4-5x week. Now, I can barely do 1/2 a mile. There will be celebration upon completion of that first post-surgery 1 mile walk. :spin:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back