Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision THR gavinmac’s long and winding road

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

I have really appreciated everyone’s notes and thoughts. This group really does help. I guess the surgeon thought about it after I left his office Saturday because they called this morning and reclassified me as urgent. My surgery is Wednesday. A whole new panic started as I realized I have very little time to prepare. We have to leave tomorrow since he is so far away. So had to get my H&P today (shout out to my PCP for doing a same day video appointment), had to find a hotel for us to stay in, had to find a pet sitter, call the kids, (no I don’t want you to come home) and do laundry etc. Done, done, and done. The hubby and I are as ready as we can be with little notice. I have taken aspirin so I hope that is not a problem. But as stressed as I am today, I am so thankful it’s being done now and I don’t have to wait 2+ months. I’ll update after surgery.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Simply the best.news.ever!
Can’t even express how happy this news makes me.

wishing the very best for you..:prayer:

FCBayern

graduate
Country
Good news @gavinmac even though it's a little rushed at least you don't have to wait any longer. Under the current circumstances if you had to wait there's no idea of how long you would have to wait.

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

I had my surgery ORIF and plate with cables to the greater trochanter yesterday. It broke during my 2nd total hip replacement (Revision), it was lined up to heal but moved. The plan was to discharge me today just to get me out of the hospital due to COVID-19. Unfortunately, I am not able walk enough to be safe to leave. So I worked with PT and OT twice today. The OS came in this morning and said he was very glad the hospital approved the surgery because there was a lot of scaring inside from bone movement that would have been much worse in 2 months. So I’m lucky in that regard. I was having a ton of pain last night and this morning. It’s better controlled now. I haven't seen the incision but it feels like it is the full incision from November. That was 61 staples. Agh! The OS says this recovery will be harder than the hip in November, 8 weeks of no weight bearing, then 8 Weeks of partial weight bearing, then gradual move to a cane. Any way just wanted to update you all. I have appreciated all the kind thoughts and prayers. They really help!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
So glad you are all through...with the fixing part...and hope you will be going home soon.
I'm sorry it took some tweeking to get your pain managed, but I'm sending healing mojo your way...:loveshwr::loveshwr:

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

We made it home Friday. Leaving the hospital at 2:30 pm. By 5pm the hospital announced a zero visiting policy. So I’m guessing their COVID-19 numbers had gone up. Almost everyone wore a mask and gloves when they came in. This is a different time we are living in. But back to me. They gave me some pain meds for the road and then we headed off. Because of COVID and every thing being shut down our trip was 2.5 hours instead of 3.5-4. I had called ahead and asked a friend to buy me a potty chair (hating that my life had come to making the hubby clean up the chair after each use). I also asked our pet sitter to stay to help me get in the house. We get home and realize that the only way to get into the house is a full lift with a big hop. Thank goodness we had help. I don’t know what we would have done. But we made it in the house. Needless to say I may not leave again, whew! Then deciding where to put the potty chair. Auggg peeing in the family room was NEVER in my plans. But the bathroom is too far away. This non weight bearing is for the birds, it’s for 8 weeks! Once I get passed that I’m confident I’ll be happier. I’m already in less pain than I was 4 days post my surgery in November. I know then I was so worried about running out of pain meds and this time I think I’ll be ok. It doesn’t hurt as bad. I can’t tell if I can move me leg better because I have strict instructions not to independently move it. I do know that when my hubby moves it for me it is not excruciating like before. Since we potential had virus exposure at the hospital we are doing a two week quarantine. We are trying to work on a routine since he has to take care of me, the 19 year old dog, and a cat. Unfortunately I am of no help at all. I’m just very thankful that I have my DH so I didn’t have to go into rehab.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Morning and a happy Sunday to you. :)
Glad to hear you made it home safely...and in record time to your delight I’ll bet!
Home is the best place for us all during this pandemic so the great majority of us are hunkering down at home just like you. Good to hear you have hubs to help you. While no fun right now, it’s all only temporary. Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
Be safe, stay well!
@gavinmac

Hip4life

senior
Country
So glad you got your surgery and are home. Just think-you’ll be able to bear weight by the time you might have had surgery. Be patient and kind to yourself. I am so very grateful for all my husband did for me during my recovery. He just shrugs it off, no biggie. But it was. It was so much easier and better with him to share what was happening. Just like you- you’ll get through it together. Continued prayers for comfort and healing. Keep us posted. ❤

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Boy, was it good to read your most recent update! Welcome home!
Just rest and ice,etc and let your body recover a bit, then just wait, there will be no stopping you!
That's good about less pain when hubby is moving your leg. I think that is an optimistic sign.

I understand your thoughts about having a spouse there to help. I felt that way also and then I was able to return the favor several times to him when it was his turn for some procedures..
So glad you are home and I bet you are also.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy to hear you're home and starting to rest up and recover. Glad you were able to get the surgery and get released before they shut things down.

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

Well my most recent, 4th, surgery on this crazy leg is 2 weeks and 2 days behind me. I had a telehealth appointment with my OS on Wednesday. That went pretty well. The biggest problem with the tele visit is that he wants some X-rays so I guess we’ll figure that out next week. Last surgery, in November, my incision was bleeding like crazy so I was worried, this time it looks good but because if that my staples, all 66 of them, get to stay in for another week. Luckily I have a nurse friend who can take out the staples when it’s time. The hospital gave me the staple remover and some steri strips when I was discharged. If COVID wasn’t around I don’t think that would have happened. But nobody wants you near a hospital if it can be avoided. The OS repeated how important it is to stay off my leg as much as possible and I am trying hard. I really don’t want to mess this up. We have completed our 2 week quarantine without getting sick so that’s good. However, now we are still on social isolation so not much has changed. I am still having some pain, but it is SO much better than in November. I am very thankful for that. It’s just hard to remember not to put weight on my foot when hobbling around. Mostly I’m sitting or laying. I think I should maybe learn how to knit or something. ‍ Anyway I have only 6 weeks of non weight bearing left, that’s better than the 8 weeks I started with so progress is being made. Love to all and stay safe and stay home, if at all possible.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @gavinmac :wave:
I just feel badly for all of our members who have had contingency protocols due to the current state of things .:unsure:

Glad to read your pain is not as bad and you are 1/4 of the way there on NWB restrictions.
Slow and steady can be booooring..
:bored:
But will be worth it in the end.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend...hopefully a sunny day to sit out and get some good old Viamin D therapy:flwrysmile:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
1stepatatime
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom