Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision THR gavinmac’s long and winding road

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Whew! That was a long trek to the OS for you.
Yay :yes!:on getting the staples out. I hope the bleeding stopped. It's so reassuring to get a nod that all is well from the surgeon. I hope you slept well last evening and are having a good day so far.
A great rest of the week to you!
@gavinmac

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @gavinmac
I hope you've been doing well since we last heard from you. Let us know how it's going, we'd love to read about your progress.
Happy One Month Anniversary! Best wishes for a great day. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.:friends:

Sending healing mojo your way @gavinmac

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. Please leave an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Wishing you all the best in the New Year!
@gavinmac

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

First I don’t know how to change the title of my recovery post from bleeding to something else.
Second I am 3 months post redo hip replacement. I though I was coming along although very slowing. Still using a walker. I have made small steps in my independence but wow it’s been slow. I saw my OS a couple days ago and he was not impressed. I had a greater trochanter fracture intra op. It has not healed at all. Standing I can lift my leg to the side but laying down I can’t lift it at all. It’s as if it isn’t mine. I’m supposed to work on that. If I can’t strength it my OS says I’ll need surgery to fix it. Oh my word! I feel like I can’t handle another surgery. The wonderful husband, I know I'm fortunate, is getting tired of me not helping out and I can’t blame him. But another surgery? I can’t even.....

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@gavinmac - Just post what you would like your new thread title to be and we'll change it for you.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I had a greater trochanter fracture intra op. It has not healed at all. Standing I can lift my leg to the side but laying down I can’t lift it at all. It’s as if it isn’t mine. I’m supposed to work on that. If I can’t strength it my OS says I’ll need surgery to fix it.
I think it's the fact that your greater trochanter hasn't healed that is causing the problem. There are several large muscles attached to the greater trochanter and if it's broken they won't be able to work properly.

Quite honestly, I don't think that exercises are going to help much. If the bone is still not healed, trying to strengthen the muscles won't help.

The greater trochanter doesn't have a very good blood supply, which can make healing difficult.
i'm sorry to tell you this, but it may well be that another surgery is necessary, possibly with a bone graft to aid the healing process.

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

I guess change my thread to gavinmac’s long and winding road

I think that is what the OS said as well. However, I was so in shock to hear surgery I didn’t hear much of what he said.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh, @gavinmac .
A long and winding road indeed.:sad:

I really dont know what to day except I will be sending prayers and healing vibes your way .

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

I’m wondering if we should actually wait the 6 weeks for my next appointment or just ask him to plan the surgery so I can restart my recovery. It’s hard to think that prior to my surgery I was working full time. Now my big accomplishment is that I can walk short distances with a cane and take a shower by myself.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm so sorry. I can imagine how discouraged you must be. Sadly, it's not your fault you're unable to perform specific tasks. I hope your husband understands that. While an additional surgery is the last thing you want, if it will give you your life back, it will be worth it. Prayers for your comfort, strength and courage as you move forward. We'll be here for support whenever you need us.
Hugs :console2:
@gavinmac

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm not sure, I'd have to go back and read through her thread. I know she has a lengthy history involving a couple revisions, she's been through a lot. She's a very dear woman. @VSlowLife

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I am sorry you are having a slow recovery. I hope the next few weeks show some signs of improvement and that you won't need more surgery. ((hugs))

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @gavinmac
Just noticing it’s the four month anniversary of your revision.
I’d love to send best wishes but not quite sure how you’re doing since you last posted.
Please consider updating next time you’re on the forum. We’re here for you.
Wishing you happy days. :friends:

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

Well here I am again. I saw my OS yesterday. I was afraid to even go because of the pandemic and trying to stay well. I was very impressed with the precautions his office was taking. I am 4 months and 11 days post op. Long and winding road doesn’t even cover this. The exercises have not made my leg any stronger, I still can’t lift it. My new x-rays now show that the greater trochanter fracture, which was at least lined up, is now displaced. During the exam he pressed down (I know he needed to check) I felt like I was going to jump off the exam table, like having a hot appendix pushed on. So far my luck has been just stellar! So I need more surgery to put a plate with prongs in and wires to hold it so it will heal back where it belongs. Ok, I’ve been work mentally on this was what he was going to say. But then the kicker-most people don’t tolerate the plate for long so after a year he will likely need to take it back out. My first thought was maybe I’ll tolerate it. But then really, which one of my 3 hip surgeries so far has worked out smoothly? Not good odds so now I’m trying to wrap my head around 2 more major surgeries on my hip. Yay! Oh and then there is the Covid19 so no hospitals here are doing non-emergency surgery. So I have to wait. For how long? No one knows. So when can I actually start my new recovery? No one knows. So my long and windy road is getting longer and windier.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Aww, gavinmac, I’m so sorry. Not the news you wanted to hear, especially now given the choppy waters we‘re all trying to navigate during this pandemic. Hang in there and know that we’re here for you to offer support and encouragement when you need it. Stop by often and keep us posted.
Many hugs :console2: Stay safe, strong and well.
@gavinmac

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hugs to you @gavinmac !
I am so sorry, and the Covid dynamics makes all of this even more difficult.
Sending you some good thoughts and energy, just know we are all in the same boat, some of our boats are smaller and with leaks, but we are all in this together..
Like Layla stated, your job is to stay strong, well and healthy. Be ready for that first opening on the surgery list!

Ending with more hugs!!

Hip4life

Country
Oh, my. I have no words for your suffering. You have all of my sympathy and compassion. Since the fracture is now displaced, does it increase other complications like infection or diminished blood supply? That is, does it move it from elective and non-emergent to a different priority? If appropriate, could your surgeon make that case for you? If someone now broke their leg with that kind of fracture or similar, would they just send them home to wait for it to be fixed? I don’t know the answer but hopefully we’re not making blanket decisions just because it’s a “joint surgery.” If that decision applied to me back then, I would have become disabled with loss of job and income. When does it stop being elective and in some cases, become health threatening? I was so frustrated not getting back to normal with my minor set back. I can only imagine where you’re at and I laud your courage and persistence. We’ll be waiting there right along with you and supporting you on that now longer winding road. Sending you prayers of comfort and patience and hope. ❤

OP
OP
G

gavinmac

I guess because I can walk and it’s not life threatening?? I don’t know, but you brought up some good points. Mostly I’m feeling overwhelmed with this road I’m on. However, within a couple days I will buck up and start wrapping my head around this. I haven’t been functional enough to go back to work. Now it doesn’t look like I will for many more months. Hard to think that prior to surgery in Nov I was working full time. I was in pain but I could do it. Now I’m worried I’ll never get back to work.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Failsafe
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom