Not open for further replies.

GaryP58

Country
United States United States
two days and home after bilateral knee replacement

Gary.jpg

GaryP58
BTKR

@GaryP58 ... Congratulations on your new knees!!! You're lookin' good!!! I've moved your first recovery post to its own thread in the Post-Op Forum. Please continue to post any updates, questions or concerns here in this thread. If you want to change the title at any time you can do it with a link from the Thread Tools (top right of the page) or post what you want it to be here and we'll change it for you. Happy healing!!!

Congratulations on the new knees. @GaryP58 you will find tons of information and answers to lots of the questions that you may have here in the forums. You'll find a big difference pretty much each week. Cheers.

Oops...forgot to post the basic recovery articles for you to read! Here ya go....

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I agree - great looking twosome! But you need to have an extra pillow under those feet to elevate your legs.
Recliners are good - used one myself for both knees - but they do have a tendency to drop down a bit.

Thats right !! Toes above nose . And ice those puppies like no ones business. All day and night if possible. Make it a mission not to miss a scheduled dosage. Medcoach is a excellent free phone app just for that. Dont overdo it as far as exercises. Patience is a virtue . The first 2 maybe 3 weeks feel like the twilight zone but things will get better. This is major surgery and needs to be treated as such. Do not allow a therapist to push or bully you. Be aware of the treaded constipation, prunes,bananas and miralax were my savior . Best of luck , Iceman

Congratulations on the best decision you have ever made @GaryP58 ....best wishes for a terrific recovery and welcome to the world of Bilaterals..

Vinny

Congrats!!! Wow!!! Bilateral!!!

Made it in the shower today, lots of bruising! Have more fatigue last two days!

GaryP58
BTKR

@GaryP58 Bet the shower felt so good. Remember to rest when ever you can, listen to what your body needs. I managed a 2 hour then a 4 hour sleep last night, absolutely awesome. Everything seems so much better this morning. I used Arnica cream on my bruising which helped, still have one down side of shin on right leg being stubborn, but it is fading and I'm at the 4 week mark.
Have a good recovery day and take note of all the tiny win:spin:s each day, they make a big difference
Diane:spin:

Thank you, got to do my exercises now!!!!!

GaryP58
BTKR

Good luck gary....your a braver man than Me.....listen to everything the good Josephine says mate she really is. The font of good knowledge....take care

Not too much exercise Gary if you lack stamina.....very early in the process and gains will come slowly and surely..

Vinny

Two weeks tomorrow since my bilateral knee replacement I started using a cane and back off the narcotics this has been a good experience for me

GaryP58
BTKR

Back to work after 3 weeks from surgery, doing outpatient PT twice a week. knees feel numb but I'm sure that's normal. I hope it gets better over time

GaryP58
BTKR

Wow! That's a quick rtw following BTKR. Hope you can ice and elevate some at work. Try not to overdo if you can. That can cause a delay in full recovery.

Best of luck

Fantastic recovery Gary, remember to ice , elevate and rest when not working. Keep posting and let us know how things go.
Diane

I agree...WOW! Back to work at 3 weeks!! I came back to the office part time during the 4th week...(worked part in the office and part at home...I'd been working at home prior). Then full time at the end of the 5th week.

I'm 7 weeks out now. It's been sore this week...but then I started back to water aerobics also.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member