THR GadgetGurl LTHR Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadgetGurl

Country
Australia Australia
Hi - this is my first post following left THR on 1st July. So that would make me now 3 1/2 weeks post surgery.

I am a very fit 53 yr old (competitive dragon boat paddler), but even so the surgery certainly knocks you about. I experienced some vomiting post surgery, shortness of breath and my blood pressure was constantly low 90/50. Apart from that, I passed all the other milestones - i.e. out of bed and walking a few hours after surgery. My surgery was anterior method, and I have been determined to follow the exercise program to get myself moving again. I graduated to crutches day 2 after surgery and day 3 was able to go home.

A pre-op and post op exercise program has been provided by my hip clinic, and it is accessible from my ipad. It is a fantastic resource, not only to target specific muscles to ensure they were strong pre-surgery, but the post-surgery exercises progress in difficulty each week. I have also been walking each day, which is helping ease the very tight muscles at the top of my thigh. I'm still icing in the evenings as I find there is still swelling. Still taking Xarelto (blood thinner) and have 1/2 a week more of wearing TED stockings. Physio is once a week for six weeks.

This week I had one set-back where I was lowering myself to the floor to do my exercises and didn't support myself sufficiently. With my operated leg back, I felt and heard a popping sensation. I was still able to move the joint the same as before, but there was more pain/discomfort with my quadracep muscles when lifting my knee. The next day I spoke to my physiotherapist about it, and he insisted I call the hip clinic. After describing the symptons, it was decided that I had popped a deep internal stitch in the capsule. So I am now extremely careful to not get into that "curtsy" position. The discomfort is gradually improving and I'm getting stronger again.

I have been walking unaided around the house from day 6 post surgery, with one crutch when doing daily walks - and from two weeks post surgery no crutch or stick at all. Plus off all the pain meds. I did have trouble with bum cramps the first week walking, but thankfully that has eased - it's really hard to stretch out a cramp when I have the no more than 90 degree restriction.

My new hip is titanium (uncemented) with a pink ceramic femoral head apparently.

I'm returning to work (desk job) on Monday. Overall I'm happy with my recovery, but know that there's still a lot of work to do to get my full strength and mobility back. Can't wait until I can get back in the dragon boat paddling again with my team.

@GadgetGurl Welcome to the other side! Congratulations on that new hip. At only 3+ weeks out sounds like you are doing well. But as you have already discovered, slow and steady is the best approach to this recovery. Easy does it on all that exercise. Walking is really the best therapy for a new hip. All the other activity can set you back and cause sore spots and aching.

I'll leave you with some reading to do. The articles are not long, but they may answer questions you have about this recovery:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks