TKR Frustratingly slow recovery, but getting there...

New update........
Just over 11 weeks now and still very slow progress. I know I Am making some progress but it is that slow I don't notice. I do worry that the whole thing has not been successful as I have not yet reached the level of mobility I had pre op....
Tempted by glorious sunshine on Monday my hubby and I visited a National Trust property ( those of you not in UK - an old house and gardens!) and I was careful, didn't walk too far, rested on benches regularly, but it appears I did do too much and since then my knee has been hot, inflamed and very uncomfortable. I have been icing, elevating and resting. But I admit I am fed up now!
I can get in the car easier, I can sit down for longer, I can cook dinner, do a bit of house work, I can't bend my knee that much and I obviously can't walk too far. I need to know I am doing OK........

Hi, just looking for some advice really.
I am 7 weeks post TKR and progress is really slow. I know i have to be patient, but i believe I have been set back by the advice Ihave received from 2 different physios and would like to try going it alone. The first physio talked over me all the time, didnt really listen and sent me exercises on a portal to watch, some of which i believe were for much further down the line. I have suffered with extreme muscle spasms in my thigth which at times were more painful then my knee, made worse by the exercises, and I couldn't get him to listen to anything about that. The second physio listened, explained and was lovely! But told me to do one knee bend exercise 5 times every hour. Which I did.
My knee completely seized up, I could put no weight on it, had to use 2 crutches again. It has taken me 7 days to get back to where I was before..... I can now walk quite well with one crutch, not long distances, can't sit for long and have about a 70 degree bend. I know I have to increase this, but have lost my faith in the physioterapy department. I am increasing my walking distances each day and very slowly building up on bending exercises. Any thoughts/suggestions......
I am also 7 weeks post op and I can bend to about 95 but still
Lots of swelling. I can’t straighten my leg so I’m having a
MUA in a few weeks. Keep icing and elevating perhaps massage the back of your knee. Good luck

Hi smithyknee,
Visiting the National Trust property sounds like a nice outing. Especially on a sunny Autumn day.
I am sorry you're feeling uncomfortable today. You're doing the right thing by icing, elevating and resting.
Try to keep reminding yourself that some heal slower than others and that is OK. You're not even three months into a recovery that can take a full year and sometimes even longer. Try to be patient and give yourself time,
Go slow and easy and you'll get there. :yes:
@smithyknee

New update........
Just over 11 weeks now and still very slow progress. I know I Am making some progress but it is that slow I don't notice. I do worry that the whole thing has not been successful as I have not yet reached the level of mobility I had pre op....
Tempted by glorious sunshine on Monday my hubby and I visited a National Trust property ( those of you not in UK - an old house and gardens!) and I was careful, didn't walk too far, rested on benches regularly, but it appears I did do too much and since then my knee has been hot, inflamed and very uncomfortable. I have been icing, elevating and resting. But I admit I am fed up now!
I can get in the car easier, I can sit down for longer, I can cook dinner, do a bit of house work, I can't bend my knee that much and I obviously can't walk too far. I need to know I am doing OK........
I'm 11 weeks too. I cleaned the house Tuesday and did errands Wednesday. Today my knee has been tight and swollen and I needed a nap. My ROM is moving at a snail's pace. I know exactly how you feel. I'm actually glad to see this post because I said I wonder if there is something wrong with my knee to my husband tonight. He told me I'm fine and healing.

At 11 weeks I could walk about 3/4 mile (1.2 km) and it took me at least twice as long as my normal pace. Getting in and out of the car was darn uncomfortable, the one hour ride to the orthopedist was darn uncomfortable. It's normal!

When I had my left and Right TKR’s 10 and 10.5 years ago I was fortunate to have an uneventful recovery but it took time. I went back to work each time after three months and got on with my life gently but I know I continued to gradually improve in terms of stamina, ROM and comfort for the first couple of years.

It is so reassuring to hear that other people in the same time frame are having similar problems (although it would be lovely for you if you weren't !). Thank you so much for replying. Let's hope we all continue with our small improvements .We will get there....

It is so reassuring to hear that other people in the same time frame are having similar problems (although it would be lovely for you if you weren't !
Makes you feel "normal" though, right? Only three months into recovery affords you a great amount of time for strength and stamina to increase. You'll make a lot more progress over the months to come, well into the new year. Go slow / easy and enjoy!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a good week and that you enjoy what is left of it. :)
Take care!
@smithyknee

Thank you!
Yes, I am taking everyone's advice and taking it at my pace. if I become a member of the ODIC it is my fault and I learn from it! This week my knee is feeling more normal, still swells in the evening and I experience some discomfort overnight most nights, but is recovered in the morning. The pain in my thigh has reduced to a constant gentle tingle which I can live with. Knee bend still not at 90 degrees, but getting there. I can sit comfortably for much longer, then need to elevate. Life feels much more normal. I am almost as mobile as I was before the op, when that day comes I will open some champagne!!
I hope this info is useful for other people at this stage and I wish you all a slow steady recovery :egypdance:

Knee bend still not at 90 degrees, but getting there.
I love your attitude! If everyone would only realize that it takes time for the bend to come in and to not force it, it would be a much better recovery for the majority!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Yes, this info will be useful! I am certain many read through threads as they are awaiting surgery, or while in early recovery. I know I was inspired by others as I read their accounts while trying to gather up courage to schedule surgery. In your case, I’d view your update as an example of where I may be at three months post op, so thanks for taking the time to share progress, smithyknee. A great day to you!
@smithyknee

I have read your posts smithyknee (and many others). And yes, they do help!
I hope we get an update from you, love to hear how you are doing, and hear about your progress.

Hi Folks! Had a bit of a break from the forum.
I am now over 5 months post op, and I am going to be perfectly honest, am only just feeling as though I am getting there!
My knee bend has still not reached 90 degrees and my knee still swells a little but I do feel as though I am living a more normal life.
I do a gentle walk in the morning with my aged dog and a faster, longer (but not that far!) one in the afternoon. For my afternoon walk I still use a crutch, but more to keep myself straight as my walking gait has been so bad and I have had to concentrate so hard on getting it right. I am getting there.
As I have suffered a long time with my knee before my operation I am having to build up strength everywhere - my back still hurts if I walk too far - but at this stage I feel I can push harder and am doing so.
It has only been a couple of weeks since my knee has not been keeping me awake at night, so that is another huge relief.
I was starting to feel as though I was never going to get this far so it is a huge relief and reason to celebrate to be feeling better!
The nerve pain in my thigh is now a gentle tingle, so improvement there too.
I am driving, managing the supermarket shop solo, cooking, cleaning, working, everything really except going up and down stairs properly, and putting socks and knickers on without a struggle
So to other slow recoverers, we do get there!
I know I still have a bit to go, but I will get there.

I wish you all well and also a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to our American friends.

***maybe ny thread title should be changed to 'Frustratingly slow recovery, but getting there' *****

Thanks for the update, @smithyknee. I'm so glad to read that you are feeling progress! I'm sure those daily walks are doing you a world of good.

I've changed your thread title as you requested. Please always feel free to let us know if we can help with things like that.

We look forward to another update in the new year when you reach your six month an-Knee-versary.

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

A belated Happy Five Month Anniversary!
It was nice to hear from you.Thanks for stopping by!
Lots of positives in your update and many months left to make more progress.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping, if you're not already.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too!
@smithyknee

@Layla Yes I have been doing that and it has been extremely helpful. I found I was walking with my foot at a slight outward angle so have been concentrating on keeping that straight plus heel to toe (with my hubby closely monitoring me!)
That is why I am still using a crutch - too much to concentrate on But I am almost there now, walking so much better than pre-op.

@Layla Yes I have been doing that and it has been extremely helpful. I found I was walking with my foot at a slight outward angle so have been concentrating on keeping that straight plus heel to toe (with my hubby closely monitoring me!)
That is why I am still using a crutch - too much to concentrate on But I am almost there now, walking so much better than pre-op.
Have you tried using a cane/walking stick rather than a crutch? I have sometimes observed single crutch walkers have a skewed posture rather than an evenly aligned one.

My right foot also tries to shift outward. After surgery, if I pointed it straight by looking at it, it felt like I was pointing my toes inward. I think it’s getting better as I keep correcting it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member