THR Frustrated

@anny I had to have my left hip x-rayed for the op in two weeks, and it captured my right as well...I was just lucky :) . It was reassuring to know I must say. OS does an x-ray at two weeks out, and that is usually it as far as I can tell.

Hope you have a great day, and so nice to "see" you back around the forum :SUNsmile:

Good to see you back @anny - I always look forward to seeing your pup (and hearing from you, of course)! I didn't get the hockey pucks, but definitely got the hip dents. I guess it's good I have matching dents! I agree about surgeons/doctors who don't really get it because they've never gone through it. They also don't seem to understand that there's a lot of information out there on symptoms and issues. Without a forum like this, it can be easy to get concerned about the little zips and zaps and niggles we go through. Do they even think about warning patients that the knee might be sore because of holding the leg around it to dislocate? In my case, it took a long time to get someone to recognize that I might have an idea what was wrong with the pain in the psoas. I'm sure the others just brushed it off thinking it was just one more patient that had over-researched and was coming up with the "complication de jour."

The difference in when x-rays are done is interesting. My surgeon does them at all followups - 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and 1 year (not sure on beyond that yet). Between those, the fluoroscopy for 3 different psoas injections and the x-rays at the new surgeon's office, I'm surprised I don't glow in the dark yet!

Enjoy getting back to the Citizen's Advice Bureau - for me, getting back to my normal life went a long way in making me feel "recovered." (Ok, yes, I pushed it, but that is me and how I'm wired!)

:hi:Hope your week wasn't too hard on that bad knee.:unsure:
I was certainly glad to get through mine as the food bank starts receiving an onslaught of donations as we near the holidays...thankfully, but tiring.
Then there has been two Dr appointments for Pop this week and the usual life drama.
Also I have to appear at a local department store to represent my agency for "Charity Days'' event at 8 am!:nah:
Oh well...the life of a philanthropic hippy is never her own.:heehee:

Hope your weekend is restful..

Mojo maybe you're atoning for something bad in a former existence......doesn't sound like you've been selected for the 'lying on a couch being fed grapes by a handsome young man' sort of life.....go on, admit it, you'd be bored to death! Hope you get a chance to chill this weekend tho.....wishing you Indian Summer days and some relaxation :SUNsmile:

Mojo maybe you're atoning for something bad in a former existence....
No Maybe to it...and don't have to go back to a former existence to find it. If I can't remember...I'm sure my mother can refresh my memory.:unsure:
go on, admit it, you'd be bored to death!
Never gonna know, I'm afraid.

It will be for a good cause and I certainly have been blessed...and there's certainly nothing that makes you feel better than doing something for someone in need!

Happy Two Month Anniversary to Lefty!
I hope you're doing well, anny
Warm wishes for a great week :)
Hugs
@anny

Me too, Anny.
What Layla said!:roseshwr:

Sorry I've not done a recent report....my attention has been completely on English forums looking for info and advice on care of the elderly, as my FiL looks to be having further problems. For someone who'd not been on a forum before I joined BS just over a year ago, I've now become a forum junkie....see what you've done to me?! All your fault for showing me what a kind and supportive place they can be :wink:

Twelve week appt with the surgeon in 10 days....need to chase up the referral for the knee xray before I see him so that it can be discussed at the hip appointment and therefore I don't have to pay again. The knee has calmed down a lot....not so much pain now as an occasional ache, and when I walk too far it starts to feel heavy and as if it's been unscrewed then screwed back in slightly skew-whiff....I hate trying to explain how it feels, it's such a subjective thing you never know if the surgeon quite gets it from your stumbling description!

The hip still gets pretty stiff, but I have to remind myself that while the right is now 9 months old, lefty is still only 11 weeks and is still fairly early on.....I do find, tho, that the first one seems to have got more achy and whingey since the second op....putting it down to ramping back the exercise for the recovering side......should I push myself a bit more on the walking/flexibility exercises? How have others who have had both done fairly close found it?

The hockey puck thing is still there on both sides, but I have started sleeping for short periods on the first side....bit of gritted teeth for the first couple of minutes but then, as it relaxes it almost feels normal. I think maybe some of the weird sensation thing might be cos it hasn't had any pressure on it for so long, and it needs to 'de-sensitise'. Haven't tried lying on side no 2 yet tho. I find that, even tho I know it's unlikely, I'm still really conscious of the dislocation risk.....doesn't help that I was watching '24 hours in A&E' (we get the old series out here) the other day and they brought in a lady who had dislocated one of her artificial hips by squatting down in front of her kitchen cupboards and twisting a bit to get something from the back.....quite freaked me out and had me ramrod straight for at least an hour afterwards :doh:

So not really much to report on, apart from the usual recovery with associated strange aches and pains. I'm very much hoping the knee thing will turn out to be something like chondromalacia/patellofemoral syndrome which I believe other people have had, and will respond to quad strengthening etc. Can't wait to see the xrays and get some sort of clue.....look out Dr Google!

Hope everyone is doing well, I am hopelessly behind on all the postings, this forum is so active that once you miss a day or two it's impossible to catch up! Will indulge myself in some now before I go off to work, take care everyone :loveshwr:

Good to hear from you! I hope the knee does turn out to be nothing - it's time to get a break for all of this.

I hope you get everything sorted out for FiL - those sorts of thing you be tricky and thankless!

:wave: @anny
So good to see your post.:)
I can imagine that dialing back your activity could possibly stiffen up number one while you have been trying to baby number two.
It is a dance, this recovery business..?
I think it sounds all fairly normal as your body adjusts to those new hips.
Do let us know what they think about your knee.
What a year you have had...hope your weekend is sweet!:SUNsmile:

thank you @SaraK (love your cat such a quizzical expression!).....I'm thinking 2018 will be remembered as the 'Year of the Joints'......grateful to have the opportunity to get them repaired but I'm so over it now! Unfortunately there comes a time of life when if you're not sorting out your own health you're worrying about someone else. I see you're doing much the same thing....both hips close together and the tenotomy coming up....is that iliopsoas bursitis? I had trochanteric bursitis a few years ago and can imagine how painful yours must be to warrant an op for it....do hope it goes well, and doesn't cast a shadow over your Christmas

It's a type of tendinitis instead of bursitis and I've been told that, since it relates to the interaction btwn the hardware and the tendon and "conservative" treatments (PT, NSAIDs, cortisone) didn't help much or last if they did, surgery is the only way to take care of it. This surgery sounds relatively simple and it will just be strengthening and stabilizing afterwards. With surgery on NYE, that's probably the only day of work I'll need to miss (although I may be lazy and take off on 2nd as well). The surgery will, hopefully, get rid of the pain and let me do the things like hiking that I was just starting to enjoy again.

It won't cast a shadow over Christmas. We'll see about NYE. :heehee:. Yeah, same old me!

It is a dance, this recovery business..?

lol @Mojo333 ......I think 'dance' is not quite the word that describes me at the moment.....unless 'fairy elephant ' is part of the description :heehee: that can only be applied metaphorically! However, there is still time for me to perfect my Swan Lake.....when I stop and really think about the first hip I realise it has much more strength and flexibility than no 2 because it has had so much longer to recover than hip 2 so I need to be patient and let them take their time.....and hopefully that will be all the knee wants too :)

Hope your weekend is good too.....first day of summer for us down here.....first day of winter for northern hemisphere, hoping for lovely weather for both of us (I do miss a 'proper' winter Christmas though.....sitting outside on a hot day eating Christmas dinner is just so wrong!!)

We don't have terrible winter weather down south but I don't do cold.
I'll come summer with you.
(I do miss a 'proper' winter Christmas though.....sitting outside on a hot day eating Christmas dinner is just so wrong!!)
:heehee:

My stepsister from NZ says exactly the same thing!
I did my early recovery in the summer...much better.:SUNsmile:

I'll come summer with you

maybe postpone it for a bit? We've just had torrential rain, rip-roaring winds and it's actually got chilly today :shrug:

I'm trying to be really patient with my poor hips....having read BS voraciously I'm well aware of how long the healing can take. However, my first hip is now 9months old, and not only does it still get very stiff and achy sometimes (particularly if I've been sitting for a while) but I still can't lie comfortably on that side for long.....I can manage about 45 mins with a bit of discomfort then I have to get on my back again. My second side is also pretty uncomfortable at the joint site, not on the surface but deeper.....it is still quite stiff when I walk and I haven't tried lying on it at all. This side is definitely slower than the first one.....I did a long walk when my dad came over when I was 8wks, and I remember being chuffed at how well it went.....NOT something I would consider with this one at 12 weeks :sad: If anyone would like to tell me to "get over yourself" please do so.....I don't like wallowing in self-pity.....but any suggestions about how I can move it on? I can't work out if I need to ramp down the activity (ie lie comatose on the settee all day :thumb:) or if I have taken the BS mantra too much to heart and have been so lazy my muscles are running away.

See the surgeon on Monday....got the knee xrays yesterday and have been googling like crazy to try and work out if there's anything noteworthy there or not.....maybe I could just diagnose myself and save the surgeon's fee :heehee:

Mods could you please change my thread title to 'Frustrated'....think it reflects the feeling of the moment more accurately! Thank you :yes:

I am so sorry you are frustrated!
I have requested your change.

I can't remember when it felt completely comfortable to lie in my side without "feeling" it in there but it definitely took close to a year...if that is any comfort.:console2:

Perhaps by the first of the year, you can find a take it easy and slow physio to see if there are any potential muscles or gait training you should specifically work on.

How much do you do at work?
You know we could tag Josephine in regard to ongoing pain but if it's your stamina and slow progress that is frustrating you, you really should remember how much work you've had done to those hips this year.
My guess is it is just going to take a bit more time. (Just what you don't want to hear):unsure:
Keep the faith...
Wishing you a good day.

Hugs and happy thoughts coming your way! :friends::loveshwr:

Like my second pregnancy, there was a sense of "Been there, done that burned the t-shirt" with my second hip. The recovery isn't going to be the same so don't compare it or fret. Relax into it. Assess what's helping and what's not and give it more time!

hip hip hooray 4.jpg
@anny, I had a very successful right hip replacement, but it was actually 2 years before I could lay comfortably on my right side in bed. I felt that that was a small price to pay for being able to have a really "normal" life doing everything else. "Time and Patience" are the real cure for a lot of little annoyances in the healing process----so try to find the patience and give it more time. You'll get there!!!!

Hi @anny . I am right there with ya in the frustrated place. I had my Right hip replaced soon after your surgery, on September 19th. This is my first, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, except my own expectations, which turn out to be wrong. Sheesh. If patience were available in pill form, I’d be swallowing a bottle full.
And I would shar my bottle with you! I am currently residing in the ODIC, and am impatiently awaiting that club membership to expire! So I feel ya! In cameraderie, I’m sending along some patient vibes your way —all the way to New Zealand!! I’ve always wanted to see your country, so I feel especially jazzed to have my “patience vibes” visit you instead. ***Breathing in patience, breathing out frustration.** Repeat.

Like my second pregnancy, there was a sense of "Been there, done that burned the t-shirt" with my second hip. The recovery isn't going to be the same so don't compare it or fret. Relax into it. Assess what's helping and what's not and give it more time!
I think @SaraK is right. I'm feeling frustrated with this second hip and the time it is taking. It seems longer but as I look back at my first hip med-dosing notes, and through my thread here, I think I'm wanting to do the I think I should be here, but am actually back there, because healing takes time...and each hip is different. My OS has said he thinks it will go faster this time, so has put silly go-faster thoughts in my head. To be honest, I wish he hadn't said it, as I'm now chomping at the bit and am agonizing over every little thing as to why it isn't going faster in my mind....makes me a little crazy(er) sometimes! :heehee:

I hope that your OS can weigh in on the total ortho picture when you see him on Monday? Keep us posted and know we sympathize with your frustration.:console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts