Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Frustrated -- Could use some help

EdiePA

Country
United States United States
Over a year ago, you were all so helpful with my medial partial R knee replacement, which is great.

Nine years ago, I had arthroscopic surgery on my Left hip for labral fraying, synovectomy, gluteus med tendon repair, bursectomy and my IT band lengthened. In September 2019, I started feeling the same pain in my hip again. I've consulted two orthopedic surgeons and its felt that I'm not a candidate for hip replacement, because I only have mild osteoarthritis. I do have another labral tear and glut med tear. But at age 64, I'm not signing up for another arthroscopy and the pain, long recovery and rehabilitation.

All the surgeon offered me yesterday was another guided cortisone injection and the "tincture of time". I did call a hip preservation doctor, but wasn't given an appointment because I had already had an arthroscopy ("the first arthroscopy is usually the best arthroscopy"), my age, and the fact that I'd had an injection.

Any ideas? Am I doomed to be in pain and accepting a shrinking life until the arthritis is finally "bad enough" for replacement?

Thanks, Edie

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@EdiePA .... let me do some searching for you to find a doctor who can help you. Unfortunately the doctors you've seen have the wrong idea about when a hip should be replaced. You're 64....prime age for hip replacements. Even if x-rays don't show much damage, the fact that you continue to have problems with this hip are an indication that the arthritis is progressing. It's your quality of life that matters.

Please tell me who you've seen so I can make sure I don't recommend anyone who would have a connection with them. You're in an area where there should be lots of choices. When you respond, please tag me so I see it right away. You do that by typing the "at" sign (@) followed immediately by my username ... like this ... @Jamie

OP
OP
EdiePA

EdiePA

Country
@Jamie Thanks for your swift reply.

So far I've seen Dr. Yram Groff and Dr. Lawrence Crossett. Dr. Craig Mauro is the hip preservation doctor who wouldn't give me an appointment.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I'm rather surprised about Dr. Crossett as I've heard good things about him. What exactly did he tell you?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I took a look at Dr. Groff's information on the hospital website and I don't think he was a good choice for you. The listing didn't even mention hip replacements or hip problems, so that would tell me he spends most of his time with sports medicine, knees and shoulders. Dr. Mauro does not seem to do a lot of hips either, so it may be just as well he didn't see you.

Here are some options for you for new consultations:

Dr. Brian Hamlin
The Bone and Joint Center - CMI
UPMC South Hills
1300 Oxford Dr., Suite LLD
Bethel Park, PA 15102
Phone: (412) 641-8609

Dr. Michael R. Pagnotto
McCandless Corporate Center (North Hills)
5900 Corporate Drive, Suite 200
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Phone: 412-369-4000

Dr. Nicholas G Sotereanos
Federal North Medical Office Building
1307 Federal St, 2nd Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone: 877-660-6777

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
I totally agree with Jamie - x-rays alone are not good indicators of the need for replacement. My x-rays on my last hip per radiologist showed mild to moderate osteoarthritis. That was when I could not walk without pain even using a cane, change positions, sleep comfortably, even sitting while life got very small. Luckily, I already knew an OS from my other joint replacements and they went by my symptoms. I actually saw his PA on the first visit since it was faster to get in to see her than to wait for an appt with him - he is very busy. I had seen her previous so it was not an issue for me. I did have to play the insurance game and had to have a hip injection so that they could say we tried conservative treatment. At the same time, she scheduled me for a hip replacement so that I had a spot ready for when I could have surgery.

I am sure you will find an OS ,with Jamie's help, who is in tune with all the symptoms of a joint that needs replacing and does not go only by x-rays.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: and welcome to the hip side.
There is a score chart that rates what you may consider difficulty with activities of daily living. You could print it off and take this to anyone you see.
As leeja mentioned, a hip does not have to actually look bad on x-rays to be bad enough for a hip replacement.
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
I hope you get a surgeon who is willing to help you get your life back.

Last edited:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Am I doomed to be in pain and accepting a shrinking life until the arthritis is finally "bad enough" for replacement?
Definitely not! You are just talking to the wrong person. Do try and see at least one of the surgeons Jamie recommended. An arthritis in a hip = pain. And you just need someone a bit more modern thinking to get you to a better place.

Please keep us updated.

maryland100

Country
I too had labral tear and glut med tear from a fall and some arthritis in hip and after shots and 8 months of PT I found a Dr to do a total replacement. Keep looking for a Dr. because you know it is "bad enough" now. Good luck.

OP
OP
EdiePA

EdiePA

Country
Thank you all for your kind, thoughtful replies. I was really low and you've helped me to see that I do have options. I've printed out the Score Chart and will keep up the hunt for an understanding doctor.

@Jamie Dr. Crossett was recommended by the doctor (John Christoforetti, who has since moved to Texas) who did my arthroscopy. I saw him twice and was very disappointed. The second time, it was like he wasn't even in the room. I explained how painful the recovery from arthroscopy was and he turned to his resident and asked him if that was true.

Dr. Groff does do hip replacements and I was hopeful because he did my knee replacement. Again, my x-rays didn't show that much arthritis, but I was in pain. Our plan, the day of my knee surgery, was arthroscopy first to see the damage, and then a replacement if warranted. It was. So, I was hoping that he would once again be thinking outside of the box.

I'll be contacting Dr. Pagnotto's office. I've been seen there (for my arthroscopy and for two hand surgeries.)

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again,
Edie

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Good for you. You're on a good path now. Let us know how things go and you can bet we'll be here to support you along the way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom