THR From the Other Side

HI Kathy :hi:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope this special day is as sunny and bright as you are.:SUNsmile:
Enjoy the week and thanks for being a part of the forum!
@KathyH

Hello, not been on for a while. I’m getting there. Slower than others, but hey ho. Walking round the home without aid. We bought a treadmill recently and I use it twice a day, half an hour each time, 2mph at the moment. I take a stick with me outside just for confidence.

Still having physio at home and she is getting me to bend more past 90 degrees. I had a posterior approach surgery and I’m eleven weeks now. I thought you shouldn’t bend past 90 until you are at least three months?

Before my surgery I could bend over and touch the floor without bending my knees. Will I ever be allowed/able to do that again?

I had posterior also for both hips but my restrictions were for 6wks and then to bend as much as was comfortable and felt good and not force the hip. I bend over to pick things up off the floor now without thinking.

Before my surgery I could bend over and touch the floor without bending my knees. Will I ever be allowed/able to do that again?

I experienced posterior approach and while there are varying recommendations given by OS’s, I do bend over grabbing things off the floor often. I try to remember to use the golfers reach, but sometimes in haste I forget.

I see you just passed your three months post op date. Happy Three Month Anniversary!
A great week to you!

Thank you @Layla I’m wondering what the golfer’s reach is?

Sorry, I have another question, for anybody. I am aware I have this ‘alien’ hip every minute of every day. Will this feeling ever go?

This is golfer's reach @KathyH
golfersreach.jpg

I am aware I have this ‘alien’ hip every minute of every day.
Yes, there will come a day when you forget about your hip or stop thinking about it as "replaced". It can take some time.

I asked that same question. Will this hip ever leave the forefront of my mind? I was told the same as Jaycey shared above. I heard this from my parents, they each had both hips replaced. They BOTH reassured me ”yes, there will come a day” and I still had reservations...doubtful me!

There will come a day. Many days I have to remind myself that maybe I shouldn’t have just done “that” with my fake hip. :nah: Old habits die hard I guess.

That’s very comforting to hear, thank you @Layla When I asked my physiotherapist this question, she said no the feeling never goes away! They don’t know everything, it seems.....

When I asked my physiotherapist this question, she said no the feeling never goes away!
Not much empathy there! Obviously she has not had THR and has never has first hand experience with someone throughout the recovery process. Tell her to come here for some education! :heehee:

I am mindful that I have prosthetic hips, mostly when I am doing something risky...but definitely the "alien" feeling is gone.

:hi: Happy Four Month Anniversary, Kathy.
I hope you continue to enjoy steady progress.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season...yep, it’s coming quick and hope 2021 is a blessed year for you.:)
@KathyH

Thank you @Layla I am still progressing, albeit at a very slow pace. When I think about how far I have come, I know it is progress, but we don’t realise it every day, do we.

For instance, although when I go out I do keep my stick in the car, I don’t use it. I can’t say my hip feels normal yet. I’m still hoping that will come in time. I still feel that stiffness after sitting for a long time.

But I do feel perkier in myself. Though having to go into a 2nd lockdown from Thursday isn’t good. What a mess!

Having a kick start after my op, I have lost a stone in weight, which makes me feel much better about myself. Still using my treadmill once or twice a day, 30 odd minutes each time, 2.2 miles per hour, incline 1. I did up it to number 2 incline, but I felt that the next day.

I wonder what exercises I can do to build up muscles around the new joint? I think maybe I need to strengthen these to enable me to use steps properly?

Two 30 minute walks sounds good to me. I tend to be a very quick healer, and being totally bionic waste down am happy for that. I just took a 60 minute walk today in mall ,and like you my left hip that is 4 months old let me know it’s still not 100 percent. My right hip that’s only 6 weeks old is definitely talking to me tonight , but not bad enough to keep me from pushing on. As for exercises simple squats are helpful in building your quads up which depending on which surgery you had ,post or anterior , could have cut into your muscles. I look up simple exercises on the net ,so it’s a good place to find them.

Thank you @Softtail I have never been able to do squats because of my left knee (fractured from a car accident and consequently a knee replacement several years later). But I have looked up other exercises online. There are a couple of American doctors on YouTube, Bob and Brad, who are good.

It’s kind of encouraging to hear of someone else who ‘feels’ their hip at the same stage as me. My knee took a time to heal too, but it did eventually. I guess I’m just a slow healer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back