THR From the Other Side

I must admit that I have been surprised at the speediness of things, i.e. the cane and the trying to walk unaided. I was always told that hip recoveries were quicker than knees, but even so, still surprised.

The stepper was originally about 6 inches high, but when I couldn't step up with all my weight on my operated side, she took the bottom bits off and now it is 4 inches high. It's still a struggle. She told me to do steps up and also stepping sideways onto it, 3 times a day. But I may just do once a day, after all your advice.

I saw earlier in somebody else's thread one of the administrators had posted a link for the three different types of incisions, i.e. lateral, anterior, etc. But I can't remember which one. Could somebody point me in the right direction please? I just wanted to clarify with Ray, my husband, which one I have. I'm unsure :nah:

I was glad to hear that you are going slow and limiting the stepping. With time you will be able to do this. My in home PT showed me this exercise using my large dictionary which was only about 2" tall to begin with and then we put the other one on which made it 4". I would do some though not many a couple of times a week if that. Less strain more gain worked for me.

I tried the stepper this morning, but it was soooo hard by myself (yesterday my PT actually helped me up). So I decided not to do it. Tomorrow I will take the other layer off which will make it 2" and see how I go with that.

Went for a 25 minute walk outside with Ray earlier. Still on two crutches outside, for confidence. Tried my best to try and walk normally and with a straighter back. It was a good walk. :yay:

@KathyH . I am glad that you skipped it for today. I forgot to mention that we placed the dictionary right by my kitchen counter so that I had something to hold unto in front of me. She stressed this as part of trying the move but staying safe. Let us know how the 2" work out for you and make sure you have something nearby to lean on or grab.

Discovered that the stepper doesn't go any lower than the 4". So I'll try and find something similar to your dictionary, @leejaa . Thank you for that advice. Taking everyone's advice on board, I will not push myself to excess, instead walking more.

Just one question, my knee has been rather stiff since my surgery. Is this normal? Just hoping the accident didn't do any damage to my 'new' knee. Though I'm not aware I landed on it in any way and it's not at all painful, just stiff. My knee was doing so well too :unsure:

Stiff knee is fairly normal and it takes various amounts of time to improve. As I was able to do more physically, my knee gradually started to be less stiff, just like my hip. Stairs or any kind of step up took me a while to master I think because of inflammation. I always made sure I had something for my hand to either assist or balance with until the strength returned. It’s a pretty proud moment when you do it without thinking and realize “wow, look at that!” Just keep plugging away. You’ll get there and we’ll be right here cheering you on.

Hi Kathy,
Many complain of a sore knee after surgery. I’m sure it has to do with some residual swelling from your surgery. Ice your knee several times per day, just as you would your hip and see if you begin to notice a difference.
Hope today is a good one!
@KathyH

Phew, thank you @Hip4life and @Layla I feel so reassured now.

I’m experimenting today - not doing any physio (except for back knee bends for my stiff knee) and doing more walking. I will see if it makes any difference tomorrow. I can certainly see that walking would be more beneficial than lots of physio.

I haven’t even been in the garden today because of the heat we’re having in the UK today. So won’t be outside walking until tonight around 8 pm, when hopefully it will be cooler. Us British are never satisfied with the weather, lol.

Have a great weekend everyone :flwrysmile:

@KathyH I thought you meant a mechanical stair stepper thing! I am relieved. But I was never shown any exercise like you are doing. For my anteriors, it would just have aggravated my insulted hip flexors anyway. I started side-stepping on the level at about 3-4 weeks for #2, but don't remember doing it for the first.
keep up the good work!

After feeling eI was making progress, albeit slowly, today I feel rather down. My hip is feeling very sore. I have done nothing different to make this happen. So I haven't done any exercises today or walking, just resting and icing. I have taken Paracetamol, but made no difference. At seven weeks out, I was hoping for more improvement :bawl:

It can be unsettling and, yes, discouraging when soreness/stiffness seems to crop up out of nowhere. The reality of the situation is that it does. Even at about 18 months out, I will still have that happen. Sometimes I can pinpoint a cause and sometimes not. Did I sleep in a weird position? Did I sit too long? Etc. So at 7 weeks, in the still early healing stages, I’m not surprised. Don’t fret over why especially since you see no obvious cause. Keep being kind to that hip and enjoy a little TLC yourself. Sometimes I think that’s our body’s way of trying to get our attention to give it a little more time before the next push. As has been said before, patience is the hardest muscle to exercise when your hip just takes the time it takes to get better. I hope it is better soon with ice and rest. We’re here if you need us, even if it’s just to listen and cheer you on. We so get it. ❤️

Aah thank you for your kind words of support, @Hip4life That has made me feel a bit better. But also sorry to hear you have the odd day 18 months out. It’s a darn, isn’t it.

I have been rather weepy and full of self pity today. Days like this, I feel like I will always be in this position. I know you should never compare to others, but I do feel I lag far behind the majority of others. There I go again ‍♀️

I just treated myself to two small glasses of red wine with dinner, thought I deserved it, lol.

@KathyH Recovery does not happen in a straight line. You are doing well. There are good days and less than good days. Please don't be discouraged. I like this representation of recovery:
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Thank you, @KathyH My pains are not a big deal and they don’t keep me from doing anything. I just wanted to make sure you don’t get too discouraged and to know that you’re not alone. It is all part of the process. You’ll get there. If it takes a little longer than that guy or gal over there, who cares? That you get there safe and sound and gloriously healed? All of us! ❤️ Pat.

At seven weeks you are still in the early stages of recovery that takes up to one year. This does not mean you won't be able to do things along the way but you will keep improving throughout that time and beyond. I don't notice my left (first) hip at all but still aware of my right one when I do a lot of walking or other activities and it is 9m. It does not stop me but it does get tight and I know it is my hip.

Emotions and the blues are part of recovery. There is a whole section in your recovery guidelines. At different times I would be weepy and cranky and even angry over little things. This passes also.

You definitely deserve the wine. Have a good evening. Maybe some cheese with the wine. :flwrysmile:

:cry: aargh...the Blues!
Do you like blues music? BB King or John Mayall?
I wrote a ditty for you that you can put to a slow rhythmic blues beat.:heehee:

The New Hippy Blues

My hip feels way too tight
Couldn't get to sleep last night
I'm tired of all this wait
Thought by now I'd be great

Hard to see that forest
Just too many trees
Blues are shading my sight
Makes it hard to Believe

*Refrain
Yeah, I'm just a-whining