Revision THR From hip to knee and back again

gavinmac

So I’m post op day one from my hardware possible revision surgery. I spent the night in the hospital since we live 3 hours away. He got all the hardware out and did not do a revision. The joint looked good. He told me he would tell me everything at my two week follow up. He did talk to my hubby and son. He told them the Great trochanter did not heal bone to bone. And it’s not lined up correctly. He told them the surgery to fix it will be a very extensive two surgery process. But for now he wanted to try the conservative approach. So we’ll see. I am back to minimal weight baring and a walker for 6 weeks. But I did well with PT and OT today prior to discharge and home PT is coming tomorrow. So that’s good. I’m having a fair amount of pain but not as bad as the last two hip surgeries. So that’s something.

Oh, @gavinmac
I hate to hear there is additional surgery, but your surgeon seems to be very aware of how your issues need to be addressed...
Big hugs as you heal from this procedure and go forward.

So the pain is more tolerable than previous surgeries, I’m liking that. I’m not allowed to lift it so getting in and out of bed is a pain in the neck. The hubby says he doesn’t mind but when you get up 2-3 times a night it’s not allowing him to rest either. Big GI issues yesterday and today which has totally exhausted me. Finally was able to eat a sandwich this afternoon. And so far so good.

Glad the digestive issues are beginning to tame down and allow you to eat.
I am sure that your husband really doesn't mind helping.. It's only temporary, right? Plus you would gladly do the same for him.

I will be interested in what the surgeon has to say in two weeks.

Last edited:
@gavinmac , I have just found this thread. What a time you have had! So sorry to hear that yet more surgery may lie ahead. Hoping so much for you that things may heal well enough that it is not required.

Wishing you as swift and comfortable recovery as possible from this op.

Two week post op check in. So to update on the past two weeks. We got a new bed that I can get in and out of with out lifting my leg independently. I can pivot and move them together which is allowed. So I don’t need help getting in and out of bed which is awesome. The pain is so much better than before. I think this is the least amount of pain I’ve had in 10+ years! I’m not allowed to lift it sideways which shouldn’t be that hard but it’s amazing how many times a day you take side steps. No, no, no! Today we drive the 3 hours to the doctor. Had x-rays (and the staples out). And now I could see for myself the problem. The bone is attached to bone with fibrous scar tissue instead of healing bone to bone. He wants me using the walker, no PT and only up 20 minutes a day for four more weeks. He would put my whole pelvis/hip in a cast if he could. The hope is that the scar tissue will get strong enough to hold the bone steady. In 4 weeks we reevaluate. He said the surgery to actually repair it would be very extensive and may not work. Then I would need another surgery after that to remove the hardware. So I am wavering between 1:‘oh my gosh I don’t know if I can do this’ and 2: ‘put on your big girl panties, get over it and move on’. #2 will win but today is both.

Attachments

• A49FB38A-888A-4F77-8E55-CB7A89E15F08.jpeg
    A49FB38A-888A-4F77-8E55-CB7A89E15F08.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 87
I’m feeling frustrated and worried. After 3 weeks of minimal pain and feeling like I finally was done my hip started hurting again. I’ve done exactly what the doctor ordered. But over the weekend I started having some pain and today it’s bad enough I contacted my OS. So I am now back to non weight baring. And only up for necessary activity. If rest doesn’t help then he’ll order X-rays next week. I’m really afraid of what going on inside.

@gavinmac With all you’ve been through with this hip, I’m thinking it might be good to get a second set of eyes on it before you commit to another procedure with this surgeon. Maybe even two more opinions.

If you’ll tell me the city where you live and who your current surgeon is, I can do some looking for you.

@gavinmac
Welcome to recovery!
Here is a copy of the Hip Recovery Reading for you to review.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Quick update. I’ve been doing the best I can at non weight baring with a walker (I’ve done it in the past). I decided to try crutches, that was a total no go. I thought if ever I was a fall risk, crutches increased that 100%! So sticking with the walker. Anyway, the good news is my hip/leg is feeling better so maybe nothing serious is going on.

Hi @gavinmac
One month to date since the plate removal. Great news that you're feeling better.
Have a great Sunday and week!

So 6 weeks ago I had my 5th surgery on my left hip. (I can’t dwell on the mess that made this necessary.) The fracture I had post op hasn’t healed correctly. For the past 6 weeks I have been on a walker varying from non weight bearing to minimal weight bearing and minimal activity. Today at my 6 week follow up, the bone has not shifted any further, and I am allowed to gradually increase activity as tolerated and wean off the walker!! I can even go on the beach next week with walking sticks and another person!! I’m so excited. ⛱ He did say if that made it hurt not to go the next day. But it’s a nice start.

Great news! I am happy for you. :)
Today at my 6 week follow up, the bone has not shifted any further, and I am allowed to gradually increase activity as tolerated and wean off the walker!! I can even go on the beach next week with walking sticks and another person!! I’m so excited. ⛱ He did say if that made it hurt not to go the next day. But it’s a nice start.
A word of caution. Your gait changes while walking on sand.
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

I hope you take it slow and enjoy!

Thanks Layla. My plan is only one trip out a day and just to my chair using my trekking pokes. To get to the beach access I’m going to use my wheeled walker with seat. It’s only a block but considering I’ve been minimal activity for 6 weeks I’m expecting to be exhausted. If it’s too much then the next day I’ll stay back at the house. I was prepared for that because I didn’t think he’d say I could go on the beach. We planned this trip pre surgery months and months ago. So even if I only go one or two of the days I’ll be happy.

Hope you continue to do well at this two month point beyond your plate removal.
Summer is fading fast and Autumn is just around the corner. Wishing you a good one!
@gavinmac

Layla thanks for checking in.
So here’s my 2 month post surgery update. I’ve been off the walker for almost 2 weeks. Using a cane or hiking poles when I go out but nothing in the house. I was lucky enough to take a trip with the family last week and was able to walk out to the beach most days. I won’t lie, it still hurts, mostly if I walk too much or sit at the table. The doc said due to the way the bone heal, incorrectly, I’ll probably always have pain. But it’s bearable. I’m only taking Tylenol, and not everyday. I’m kinda use to my hip hurting at this point. I sometimes wish I was the sueing type as I probably have a case. But emotionally I’m better if I put the first two surgeries behind me and look forward.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
You have a grateful heart which is admirable. I'm sorry if you're still dealing with pain though.
I hope it's eased over the past month and is not something you have to live with for life.
Wishing you comfort and a beautiful Autumn!
@gavinmac

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom