THR Friday the 13th New Hip

gerilari

Country
United States United States
It will be a week tomorrow but I'm doing ok. Every joint replacement is so different! Just lots of pain and then meds then sleep... I want to be awake and enjoying this time but I just doze off!

Hi, it's nice to hear from you and know you're doing well. Dozing off is pretty normal at this stage of recovery as I'm sure you recall with this not being your first rodeo. Sleep is a great healer, so snooze away. Please consider starting a thread on the Recovery side once you're feeling up to it. We'd like to leave you some info I believe you'll find beneficial as you begin to heal so please join us over there where I'm sure you realize the support and encouragement is next to none.
Have a great Sunday!
@gerilari

@gerilari....congratulations on your brand new hip. It sounds like you're off to a really good start in recovery.

I've moved your first post op comments to a new thread I created for you in the Hip Recovery Forum. If you decide you'd like a different title, just let us know what you want and we'll get it changed for you. Be sure and post all your updates and concerns here so we have all your information in one place.

Here are some basic recovery articles for you to read so you get a good idea of what all is involved to settle your new hip in successfully. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that might come up. We're here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Restorative sleep :sleeep:
And double hippy now!
Hope you are staying on ice and sending healing vibes your way!:flwrysmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing?
Please leave an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to hear about your progress.
Wishing you a pleasant Sunday and great week! :)
@gerilari

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope you're doing well. We'd love to hear when you have time...
While I'm here I'll wish you a Merry Christmas along with wishes that 2020 is a great year for you!
@gerilari

Happy 3 month Hipversary, on Friday the 13th....your lucky day!:tada:
Hope all is well with you.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks