BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Frequent Urination

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Ron, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron

Ron new member

Hi all,
    Since my hip replacement surgery on July 14th I have been urinating a lot more frequently. This is especially noticed more at night when trying to sleep. I am getting up to go about every hour. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows why this is happening. I did have a catheter for 2 days following surgery if that means anything. Thanks.

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Could be the aftermath of your op with all the IV fluids you had although I doubt it. I never heard of it so, if others come saying they experienced such a thing, okay. If not, I suggest you get your doctor to check your blood glucose as that is one of the signs of type II diabetes. Best to be sure and get it checked out.

3. Texas

Texas alpha

Hey Ron you know i did to. I really dont know why. Im sure someone will answer. Thats is strange but I remember my husband saying what in the world.lol...But yes I did....... Obviously it went away but I dont know what is was...Good Luck to you. i hope you doing well. I know those potty breaks can be a bummer :( Just when you think you comfortable....Nope !! True mine was right about when I got home so probably the fluids for me.

4. Avia

Avia new member

Hi I'm Avia and I had my LTHR on the 10 July. I am new to this forum and would like someone to explain why I am regularly woken at night to urinate.

5. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, Avia. Welcome to the BoneSmart forum.

When you are awakened, do you really have to go or is it just a "feeling" that you need to. I'm thinking you might have a bladder infection...possibly from the catheter. If it continues more than a couple of days or you become very uncomfortable, see your primary physician. In the USA, there are over-the-counter medications you can take for a bladder infection. If they are available in the UK, you might try that to see if things level out.

6. Avia

Avia new member

It's a full bladder every time!

7. Jamie

Hmmmm.....well then....it doesn't sound like a bladder infection. I agree with Jo that you should talk it over with your primry doctor and get checked out.

8. Judles

Judles alpha

Whatever it is.....you still have to keep hydrated!!! (:)0)

9. JudyS

JudyS alpha

I don't remember if I had to get up that frequently. But one thought is all the extra fluid from the swelling comes down at night . Must go out of the body somehow. I had a ton of swelling (20 pounds extra) and did urinate it out.
    judy

10. Steph

Steph graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I found that once my cathetar was removed I had to go to the bathroom every half an hour for the first 2-3 nights, then once I was home I had to get up quite a lot in the night during the first month. I didn't have a water infection and it has gradually gone back to normal. Don't think it is too much to worry about unless you have any discomfort on passing water or if there is nothing to pass.

11. Clunker

Clunker post-grad

What I have found is,,,if I drink like a 4 coffees, a gallon of water,,4 ice teas and 4 beers. I can really whiz also.
    Matter of fact,I sometimes wonder if I won't dehydrate myself?:hehe:

Seriously,,
    I think at night like that,its the swelling moving out of your body.

12. leosmom

leosmom member

I had this experience too for about 8 weeks. :rant: Then I did have a lab test done and it showed a UTI (not uncommon with a cathetar according to my doc). A round of antibiotics and the problem disappeared.
    On a side note (and I will ramble here a bit), I am a Type 2 diabetic. My glucose levels went sky high :shk: after the surgery and had to receive insulin while in the hospital. It took about a month to get the sugar back under control. :pnc: So while you're at the doc's having your urine checked for infection you should also request blood glucose testing like Jo suggested. It's a sneaky little disease and unless a sign (like frequent urination) presents itself you just wouldn't know unless you test.

13. YoungM

YoungM graduate

Hi -I had this problem. I would make up every night in the middle of the night to pee. I never did that before. I would say this lasted for about 4 weeks.

14. loghaula

loghaula member

Had the same problem after the first surgery, and I hadn't taken in any extra fluids. Would wake up every hour and have a full bladder. While in the hospital, presumed it was from the IV fluids, but it continued after coming home. Not so much a problem after the second surgery when I did drink a lot more fluids.
    The leg swelling has to go somewhere.

Glenys
    LHR 5/28/09
    RHR 7/23/09

15. tahoe1009

tahoe1009 member

I had a really bad UTI when I came home from the catheter, but I had the sensation I had to go and then... "nothing". It was very frustrating and mildly painful. So... that maybe different than what I experienced. As a lot of the rest of people have said see your PCP as soon as you can so you can figure it out. Give yourself some piece of mind at the very least. Sorry for your concern, hope it gets better soon... Let us knew whats going on please.

16. tracymacey

tracymacey new member

Hi,
    I have to pee a lot too (my op was 29th July) also, when I need to go its a lot more urgent, I cant hold it like I could before - I think its partly a bit of irritation from the catheter, but also I agree with Judy that some of it is the fluid you get in the leg - when you take the stockings off, are your legs swollen? (you'll know because if you push a finger into your leg for a few seconds and then let go there will be a small dent - thats fluid retention!) Hope this helps? x

17. jetcapt

jetcapt new member

I also had THR on July 14th. I was in the hospital for two nights and went home. The major problem I encountered was frequent urination. I have found that in the past, any time a foreign substance such as IV's or injections enter my body, I have frequent urination until I have flushed it all out of my body. I think that problem lasted about a week and then I was back to normal.

It has been five weeks since surgery and I am doing heavy duty physical therapy three times a week for two hours at a time. I feel my recovery is going very well although I am not ready to do 4 or 5 mile walks or climb a mountain. I can walk without a cane for about 1/2 mile and then my leg gets sore.

18. Jamie

Hi, Jetcapt....welcome to BoneSmart! So glad you joined us! Why don't you start your own thread and you can chat with others about anything related to your surgery and recovery. It sounds like you have a lot of great stories to tell!!

19. arla222

arla222 new member

I had the same problem when I got home. -- I had to get up every hour or hour and a half to go to the bathroom. :sigh: It lasted about a month and then tapered off. Thank heavens! All that getting up at night was leaving me exhausted.

So, give it some time, and I'll bet this annoyance will go away for you too. Don't worry. You will soon be sleeping thru the night again. :zzz:

20. Loretta

Loretta new member

What a relief to know that I'm not alone! I love this forum and the great advice and support found here.

I had my hip replaced on Nov. 2, 2009 and am still waking up at least twice a night to urinate. I have no other symptoms, no burning or pain, but it is annoying. I am also going more often during the day. I'm going for my post-op this week and I'm going to ask my doctor about it. :sct:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.