Revision THR 'Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning - Broke hip 5 weeks after replacement'

You might want to restart icing :ice:and often:ice: for at least 45min especially after being up and around but also you state that you have leg aches and pain mid thigh after sitting. The ice:ice: really does help. Icing pretty much non stop for months was my default position in all my recoveries. Even after my knees when I went back to work - the ice came with me and luckily I had a job I could elevate my leg some and keep it iced throughout the day.

Hello @Sparkly I am so sorry to read of your fracture and revision. My heart goes out to you,

One thing that helped me with showers. I was non-weight baring for a long while. I set a shower bench on it’s highest setting so it was almost Walker height. Used my regular walker to get all the way to shower. Stepped in while using shower bench as a lower walker. My husband supervised until I got hang of it. The warm water is such a comfort. Hope you can find a way to enjoy it.

Another thing I did was buy pool shoes. Once my feet were no longer swollen. Gave me piece of mind to shower without assistance. They dry pretty quickly.

Sending healing wishes to you. I still ice by the way. I am almost 3 months out from last surgery. Ice after walking. You will get through this. Hugs.

Good morning @Sparkly

Glad you have some pool shoes. Hope they help you. I had a reverse situation of yours. I slipped and fell at Wegmans in produce department and fractured my hip. Hip was pinned and I was non weight barring for 12 weeks, (pinning failed) then it was replaced, and I was toe touch for another 12 weeks while screw holes filled in. The really good news femoral bone has completely healed from screw holes! It’s an area with good blood flow so your prognosis is very good! Just be careful. Fractures do hurt. My heart goes out to you. Hope you keep posting. So many lovely people here to lift your spirts. It is hard to be home on a walker. Hugs. :flwrysmile:

Thank you @Fit4Family. Great news I managed the shower today. First one on 4 weeks. I swear those shower chairs make me nervous, I always think they will go from under me. So sorry to hear/read your story. Thats a hell of a long time to be non weight bearing. Were you able to manage steps? and if so how did you do it? I'm mainly in wheelchair to get around and a bit on the walker, afraid I'll put too much weight on my leg.

Stay home and stay safe everyone.

It warms my heart to see you @Fit4Family helping Sparkly. You have been there and done this and have great suggestions to help. :curtsey:
Congratulations on your lovely shower @Sparkly! I bet it was wonderful...
I hope it helps you have a very good night's sleep.

Hurray for a shower @Sparkly I bet you feel like a new woman!! :SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:

I did manage stairs. Our bedroom is upstairs and I think around 3 weeks post pinning and fracture I started going up once a day and down in morning. We borrowed a second walker so I could keep one on each floor. I held on to railing and used a cane. Good leg goes up, bad leg goes down. Rather than alternate you keep progressing with either good or bad for descending or ascending. Hope this makes sense. We only have shower on upper level so I was highly motivated to master.

You will get through this. Be very careful but believe you will walk again soon. Attitude is important I think. We will cheer you on. ❤️

Hooray for the shower, Sparkly! You go girl :yes!: Its crazy how something we mindlessly did for so long becomes a challenge and then a victory. First showers are the best. Its encouraging to read you managed well. I’m happy you’ve connected with Fit4Family who‘s been a kind compassionate, cheerful uplifter to many.

Tomorrow is already one month since your surgery so I’m wishing you a Happy One Month Anniversary while I’m here. I hope the coming month brings you all things good as you continue on your healing journey.
Big Hugs:friends:
@Sparkly

@Layla thank you. Steps are next challenge. Then I can get outside to my yard. Surgeon switched my appointment April 17 to phone appointment. I will go have xrays in two weeks closer to home. I’m sure all are switching to phone appointments.

stay home say safe

@Fit4Family Did you you have to hop up step? That’s what scares me

No hopping!! That scares me too. So if you use your good leg to go up. You step on your right foot and pull your left up to the same stair as right. Then take next step up with right, pull left foot to next stair. Practice on bottom two stairs with a hand rail on one side and cane on other. Down is just reverse. Descend with your left leg, bring right to same step, Hope this makes sense. Maybe there is a video on YouTube? Will check. Thinking of you today. One month!! You are getting there.

Thank you, I finally managed the steps. Now can get outside yay. Although the going down on bad leg that has no weight bearing is still freaking me out.

Congratulations on your new accomplishment. Going outside is such a lift to the spirit especially with the lovely spring weather.

Hi Sparkly :wave:
Stopping by to say Hi and see how you’re doing two months after your latest surgery.
Hopefully you’re enjoying steady progress. Would love to hear from you when you have time.
Be safe and stay well!
@Sparkly

Happy One Year Anniversary, Sparkly.
Fingers crossed you receive a notification and time will allow you to update on one year old Righty and the status of Lefty.
I hope all is well and you continue to enjoy progress. Hope to hear from you soon!
@Sparkly

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom