Revision THR 'Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning - Broke hip 5 weeks after replacement'

Sparkly

Country
United States United States
everything went well was kept overnight as precaution as my afib caused a few blips. Home now with oxycodone. I just noticed my face and neck are very flushed. Anyone else have this happen?

Good to see you in the recovery side. If you have any concerns like the flushing, I feel that the best thing is to put a call in to your OS’s office. It is probably just nothing much but better to check with them and be sure. Sending healing wishes your way....

@Sparkly Welcome to the other side! Yes, please do call your surgeon's office or the ward where you stayed overnight. Probably nothing to worry about but it's good to check.

I'll leave your reading list here for you to refer to.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good to see you on the healing side @Sparkly! Hope you've been able to get some rest and your pain is under control. Stay on top of your meds and make I've your best buddy!
:ice:

Woo, hoo, @Sparkly, you made it! It's been a long journey to surgery, and you're just started on the recovery road, but you're going to get there. Hope you're feeling reasonably comfortable and drugs sorted. I never had any of the flushing you describe, but suspect medical folks at your hospital might be able to provide an explanation. If it doesn't fade, you might want to give them a buzz.

Hi @Sparkly :wave:
It's good to see you on this side after all you've been through.
I'll bet you love being home. Ice often :ice: and get lots of rest :yawn: :sleep:
Will check back in later.
Hugs :friends:

day three, boy am I sore today. Not moving well on or off bed stiff when walking and wound very sore. I guess all normal had pt here this morning saying everything looked great and warned me today and tomorrow are the hard days. On oxycodone for pain took two now since I’m going to settle down and hopefully get a few hours sleep would love any advise or hear how you all did at this point. Happy healing everyone.

Hi @Sparkly it all sounds very normal. The first few days are tough and i found getting in and out of bed very painful. My advice to you would be to take your painkillers regularly to ensure you always have the pain managed as well as possible. I took pain meds every 2-3 hours so for example would take codeine then a couple of ours later paracetamol to ensure I always had something in my system. After a few days things will get easier so don’t lose heart. Hope you can get some sleep as that really is the best healing medicine

Thanks so much, I only have the oxycodone which I can take every 4-6 hours 1-2 as needed for pain. I am taking them anywhere from the 4-6 hours when I feel it starting to ware off a bit. Yes, much more difficult today.

It wouldn’t hurt to add paracetamol to it. I found that really helps.

The first 10 days were the hardest for me. Hang in there, keep the meds topped up, ice ice ice, rest however, wherever, and for however long you can. Don't expect to do much more than sleep and go to the toilet the first week. Anything else is a bonus. :flwrysmile:.

Ps you will have this new thread merged with your first recovery thread. They like to see just one per member on this side. Just keep adding to your first one.

@Sparkly you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. Please don't start any new threads with updates. Keep the information here on one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Are you icing and elevating your op leg? This will help ease the post op swelling that is causing pain.

Thank you I didn’t realize it was posting as new post. I’m answering where is says reply so hopefully it’s right now. Yes, ice, ice,ice no real swelling but resting and up and down to the loo and little walk to kitchen sitting for 30 minutes to get off incision for a bit then back to bed and ice. Doing meds.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things @Sparkly . Hope you can get that pain managed. Do call your family doctor or surgeon's office if you think you need to tweak your medication.

Morning @Sparkly. You are doing great, ice and resting the body is key for the first two weeks. Everything else will wait. Taking the oxycodone on time is also key, figure out best intervals are best for you and write it down or what I did was set an alarm on my phone. I was taking two 5mg oxycodone every 4hrs for a week and a half then was able to take just one pill every four hours. It is important to keep track of your pain meds so when you need a refill there is time to get them without running out before you get the new script. I found this out the hard way myself. I called OS to get new script when I had two days of pills left thinking I'd have the script in the mail by then, nope it was another day and I ran out, not good. When you are sitting for a break from your bed are you getting your legs up? Do call your Doc if you any questions about pain meds or anything else. When you say to rest and get off incision, how are laying in bed? You just take it easy ice and rest is the best for now.

Oh, yeah, @Sparkly, there is no getting around it--those first few days can be tough. Good thing you are sticking to a good medication regimen, which should help to deal with the worst of the discomfort--do stay on top of the pain! For me the first two weeks are now a bit of a dreary blur but I was probably (okay, definitely WAS) a bit too stingy with medication and although not in severe pain, it was often grinding enough to make me snivel a bit. I recall day 4 in particular, a major emotional meltdown, as a tough one. So, don't be like me! Hope these next few days go by quickly, and as pain-free as possible. Do keep icing regularly, and have faith in your remarkable body--it is going to heal, your new hip is going to be terrific and within a few months this should all be a distant memory! Hang in there, and happy Thursday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom