THR Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hip surgery, like yours, was the result of an accident. I fell out of an aeroplane in the Atacama Desert, in Peru, during an emergency evacuation. I am around 90% back to my previous fitness level, with bending down being possibly my biggest problem.

I have also, like you, had a number of mild anxiety and depression incidents in my life, and they do continue, but not to any great extent these days. I don't relive the accident, and have been on many aircraft since, and have been back to Peru.

Do try the medication, if your doctor thinks it is appropriate, but I really think that your routine of walking your dogs, and your creative pursuits, are your best allies. I always feel better "out and about" and, as a freelance writer, feel loads better when I have a commission and a deadline.

I wonder if you have factored in the concept that at our age we are starting to go through a pretty major change in our lives? However young we might feel or look, the world around us is starting to devolve to younger generations. This is natural and has happened since time immemorial - but it can be hard to be on the receiving end!

In other words, what I am trying to say is: cut yourself a bit of slack, go with the flow, and other profound thoughts of that nature. When you feel yourself giving in to worry, say to yourself: "I've been through this before. It passed that time. It will pass this time."

I had my 60th birthday in hospital in Lima (instead of at the restaurant booked for friends in UK) - but so what? None of us knows what life has in store (possibly just as well).

All part of life's rich pageant!

All the best.

Glynis

I had flashbacks and nightmares following my accident. They tapered off over time and I think they were gone after about two years. I don't remember exactly, but I know that they became less and less frequent and eventually stopped completely.

As I got busier, my injuries and surgeries began to recede in my memory. However, if that hadn't happened and if the effects of the trauma were interfering with my day-to-day life, I certainly would have sought help for that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reassuring words. I am trying to keep up with my pottery and dog fun and yes, it does help. I'm sure this will pass, looking forward, not back:SUNsmile:

I wasn't expecting to be sending this update, but here goes ... I fell on my deck and broke my arm! Dammit, I'm so upset. Thank goodness my husband was home, he rushed me off to the hospital and i have a fractured humerus which means a sling and appointment with an orthopod for Thursday. Currently I have toradal on board and a prescription for t 3s and naproxen. Just really needed to vent, I was feeling pretty good after starting on meds for anxiety. I guess I have to just deal with another blip.

@pottergirl - I am so sorry to hear about your setback! Please know that we all
are sending you healing thoughts and wish for a speedy recovery of the arm and
steady recovery of the hip :flwrysmile:

It's been too long... As 2015 comes to an end I am happy to report that my hip is much better and my arm is healed mostly. We have had a rough year with my husband who is battling a serious lung disease which we thought for a while might take him from us quickly. He has responded well to medication now and we hope to hear soon that his preliminary diagnosis might be revised. He still has a lung disease but is feeling a lot better. We are looking forward to a good 2016 and I want to say Happy New Year to all of you bonesmarties!

Hi pottergirl

Been through something similar myself and I myself have lost a lot of the confidence I had before, my accident took place at the top of the stairs at my old house and decided to move to a small cottage just outside Edinburgh.
Even climbing the stairs at work I sometimes panic and climb the stairs one foot at a time but on other occasions I will climb them normally.
Hang in there and keep safe.

Billy

@pottergirl
Just came across your thread. I too broke my femural head as a result of an accident and ended up with THR. In my case
they tried the pinning ( 3 long screws) that went Bad after 3 months and then had the replacement. I have spent close to the whole year recovering. If I read your post you had the 2 surgeries back to back? Did they insert screws?
Anyway, it took me a long time to quit obsessing on the accident ( arguably its way reduced but not totally yet)
My accident happened bicycle riding and I did something stupid to cause it. I beat myself bloody for it.
I can tell you that time will help you get past it.
I'm 6 months past the replacement and about 11 months past the accident and 1st surgery.
Count yourself lucky if you had back to back surgeries the 4 months delay and all the PT that went with it has left me with sciatic issues but otherwise pretty good.
I found very few people on the forum that had THR as result of accidents and I think the process or journey is totally different. We had good hips and suddenly have to accept the prosthetic whereas the osteoarthritis etc. , had issues and the prosthetic is a step up. Different headset. Anyway if you are bored you can see my posts. If nothing else I have a pic of an X-ray with the 3 screws.
Wish you a good recovery and practice patience

Just got through reading your thread, and I hope you are feeling much better after all your adventures! I find it interesting that your OS thought you were too young for a THR and did the hip pinning, first, instead of just doing the replacement. I also have osteoporosis, fell and broke my hip, and my surgeon said he could do a pinning but I'd probably end up having to get THR within 6 months. I told him to just replace the hip and that was that. I'm now three calendar months out from surgery and am walking without any aids and climbing stairs using only the handrails. I agree with Lalo that those of us who had accidents do have a different view of our new hips than people who had been suffering with pain and limping for some time. Still is hard for me to wrap my head around my adventures in dealing with my artificial hip and I do find myself becoming anxious about falling and possibly breaking my other hip. I find that, when I do start feeling anxiety, I have to turn to my creative endeavors. Siince I couldn't be creative for many weeks after my surgery, because of the stairs in my house, I was frustrated with boredom for a while. I'm glad you can create your pottery and I just love your designs! I do think it helps us when we can get back to our before accident activities and are able to feel useful, again. I hope you continue to create your wonderful pottery and can get control of that anxiety! Blessings to you!

Hi @pottergirl
I hope you have a much better year and are feeling well.
Just reading your thread. I too had broken my hip completely through as a freak accident. It was repaired with 2 dynamic hip screws and a stabilising plate. I could never say it was 100% pain free but managed with it for 6yrs but last 2 were pain ridden and crippling. Ortho Surgeon had a very tough time trying to get them out as they fused to the bone before doing the THR. The reason they initially repaired it was I was too young to have it replace they really wanted me to get in to my 50's but that wasn't going to happen. My surgeon wants this new hip to last me 25+ yrs.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back