Hip Arthroscopy FoxyBlue seeking advice

FoxyBlue

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
Just joined this forum - looks like I've stumbled across a gem!

I'm 29 And was diagnosed with FAI (both hips) and labral tear on the right around 3 years ago.

My left hip presents worse on xrays but my right is more symptomatic.

I had an arthroscopy on the right on 12/12/18 (by Dr Velayudham in Kent) and had a partial labral debridement. I've been told that although they can see the impingement on xray they couldn't see it inside so no bone work was done.

Has anyone else had this? Right now I'm kind of regretting my decision!

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! Here is a list of ALL the hip arthroscopies that have been done. Plenty for you to read through.

I've been told that although they can see the impingement on xray they couldn't see it inside so no bone work was done.
That sounds very rum to me! But the upshot is that recovery from this procedure is very protracted and painful. You need to be fully on top of your pain meds and NO exercising!

These might be phrased for hip replacement but are still applicable to your situation.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Fab advice- thank you so much!

Plenty of reading material- looks like I'll be having a sleepless night as my right foot/ankle is FREEZING and so uncomfortable... So I'll make a start on it!

Wrap it up warm, fluffy socks and even a hot water bottle but TOO hot! It's probably because of the pulling and twisting that occurred during the surgery. They do it holding on to your foot!

@FoxyBlue when you are done with the list Josephine left you there is plenty more information in our Library (top of page below the blue bar). Wishing you a speedy recovery.

@Josephine ---Foxy Blues post reminded me of a question I have had since my surgery. My surgeon said they remove your labrum when they do a hip replacement surgery. He said a main purpose of the labrum is stabilization. My question is do the other surrounding muscles/ligaments/etc. take over that job?

He mentioned being careful with balance and stability following surgery. Now that I am 4½ months out I still feel like my balance is not quite as good as before and am wondering if this is something I'll always have to be aware of?

My surgeon said they remove your labrum when they do t hip replacement surgery.
No
and the muscles and ligaments will need time to strengthen to get that hip joint stable. Just weak.

Your hip joint is what provides stability for your balance.

My surgeon said they remove your labrum when they do a hip replacement
This is quite correct but not ALL the labrum. Just parts of it.
He said a main purpose of the labrum is stabilization.
Also correct.
My question is do the other surrounding muscles/ligaments/etc. take over that job?
Absolutely!
Now that I am 4½ months out I still feel like my balance is not quite as good as before and am wondering if this is something I'll always have to be aware of?
Well, 4½ months is still pretty early in your recovery so no need to get anxious about it. Ultimately the surrounding muscles will take root and strengthen. The body is an amazing machine in that respect!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom