THR Fox's Recovery Thread

Diet plays a big part in recovery especially to give you the needed energy for healing and activity. Come up short on fuel and you're exhausted. Of course few of us sleep good in early recovery and our bodies need the rest too. From experience I can tell you that venturing out with a cane and going too far is not pleasant. I stood leaning on a fencepost for quite some time trying to get the energy to make it back down the road home when I went too far. If you can get out and about you can try my shopping cart walker deal. I found that a shopping cart at the store was a good substitute for a walker and I could concentrate on walking better instead of leaning on it.

Yeah, I don't know about the walks up to 30 minutes at 4 weeks. I haven't found the activity progression very helpful to be honest. I've been focusing on total steps in the day, not time walking. At the start of week 6, I'm good walking around the block which is around 10 minutes and around 1200 of my steps at one time. I'm at 4k steps a day now. I'll start upping it next week but in a controlled manner.

To your cane versus walker point, I think I was in the middle of week 4 when I started using the walker less. I did not use the walker for walking outside and used the cane only for that. I would "if you are comfortable doing so" start focusing on getting around with the cane and start small and stay in your comfort zone. Using the walker versus the cane is going to take a lot more out of you on longer walks.

I will say in defense of the Activity Progression that it’s only a rough gauge. It’s understandable many will be more active without suffering any setbacks, and others will lag behind. I think the guidance it’s helpful for those who really aren’t sure what they can, or can’t do and wonder if they’re doing too much, or too little. Its also been reported that it’s helped some members to show the article to family or friends that are pushing them to do more than they’re comfortable with in the early weeks. The article does need some updating as far as the suggested activities for any given week mentioned in the article.

I will say in defense of the Activity Progression that it’s only a rough gauge. It’s understandable many will be more active without suffering any setbacks, and others will lag behind. I think the guidance it’s helpful for those who really aren’t sure what they can, or can’t do and wonder if they’re doing too much, or too little. Its also been reported that it’s helped some members to show the article to family or friends that are pushing them to do more than they’re comfortable with in the early weeks. The article does need some updating as far as the suggested activities for any given week mentioned in the article.
Layla, my comment is my experience only and is not intended to be reflective of anyone else's experience or impact anyone else's consideration of the activity progression.

What I would suggest for consideration though is that if someone is going to update it, to consider time walking versus distance walked. One person may take 30 minutes to walk a quarter mile and it is perfectly fine where another may walk 2 miles in the same period and it is way too dependent on where they are in their progression post surgery. Add in, is it with a walker, or a cane or unassisted and it gets even more complicated. My problems with it have been specifically around this vagueness. Hence my posts and questions asking others and viewing others posts to gauge where I am.

I understand that this guidance is not for everyone. We are open to suggestions. :)

The article does use suggested amounts of time for walking, rather than distance.

As far as the article being vague, each recovery is different for a variety of reasons.
Age, general health and the length of time spent dealing with a deteriorating hip, to name a few. This makes it difficult to be more specific without concerning those who may be lagging behind.

Regarding assistive devices, we suggest transitioning from one to the other either through the surgeons advice, or when comfortable doing so. We often mention that when you find yourself walking away from your assistive device more frequently, it usually signals the time is coming to set it aside. We also recommend an assistive device be used until all limping has resolved. Hopefully I‘ve clarified a few things.

@AxeAndExtraFox
Happy Friday! I hope you slept well last night. Sorry for the derail above, but it is info that may benefit you and hopefully others reading your thread. I just noticed it’s the eve of your one month anniversary. I’ll wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary while here.
Woohoo! :cheers: Cheers to you! I hope you’re pleased with your progress so far. May your weekend be sweet!

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a nice weekend and possibly even celebrating this little milestone.
Wishing you a great week to come! :)
@AxeAndExtraFox

Hi all!
Here I am, 5 weeks out from surgery. My boss was a bit put out that I didn't come back after 4 weeks. Well too bad, is what I was thinking. I just can't move that much yet-my job involves a lot of sitting and standing and walking around. And canes aren't allowed at work because they are a tripping hazard. My boss got special dispensation from the Safety Officer to allow me to have the cane ONLY in certain rooms. So heck with that. I'm staying home as long as I can!

Yeah so, I don't use the cane much around the house except for using the steps. For walks and outings I still need the cane. I don't limp quite as much as i did before surgery. I know I should be patient but I am so tired of limping

@Layla
I just wanted to say that I did find the activity progression guide helpful. I am worried that I am being lazy more than anything! But then I overdo it and suffer. I am not good at moderation!!!!

Has anyone else felt very sensitive to the heat since surgery? I can't spend much time outside without feeling sick. Where I live it has been 80-85°F for most of the month. (Not like in CA)

I know it's usually recommended here to try to take 12 weeks off and then do a phased return, building up to regular hours. Not sure what your job entails but I'm thinking they may have to make accommodations for you if you're still using the cane when you return. I may be wrong but I would think that would be the right thing to do.

I really think you should use the cane, even at home if you're still limping. That's your body telling you that you need that assistive device. At least that's how it worked for me. I was actually on the walker for probably the entire first month. I was actually doing light PT at the time and the therapist wanted me to be stronger and steadier before switching to the cane. Once I switched I used the cane for another two months. Of course we're all different, our recoveries are different and a lot depends on how long you were hobbling around before the surgery.

Understand about the patience, we all get impatient at times during recovery but it's in our best interest to take it slow and steady. The heat may be bothering you as you're probably still experiencing energy drain.

Yeah there's no way they are giving me 12 weeks. I get 6 weeks total partially paid, and I can't afford to take time unpaid. I will have to make do.

Honestly, the walker was torture because it made my arms so tired. At least when I use the cane only one arm gets tired and not as much.

And that's a good point about the heat.
Thanks for your input!

Has anyone else felt very sensitive to the heat since surgery?

Hello @AxeAndExtraFox
Just wondering if the heat intolerance could be caused by any medication you may be taking? If you’re taking any, it may be worth looking into.
I hope you have a lovely weekend! :flwrysmile:

@Layla
I am on meds, but nothing new. Ive taken them for years. I am off everything they gave me for surgery. Oh well. *shrugs*

I do believe you can develop new side effects even after taking meds for years. It’s something you may want to check on….only if it’s bothersome.
I felt bad when you mentioned it made you feel physically ill. :console2: No fun!
@AxeAndExtraFox

Update: I went in to the doc at 6 weeks and she did NOT clear me to go back to work! I was so relieved. Something told me to have my husband come in to the appointment with me, and all three of us determined that I need more time. I need to build up my endurance more and allow more healing. And I found out that i will be paid for this time off after all! Yay!

Anyone else find themselves limping out of habit and not because you have pain?

Yes...I sure did.
I had two trashed hips so I was deemed by my PT ..a toe walker.:unsure:
It took alot of concentration to practice my heel to toe walking and overcome the years of bad gait and posture.

I’m happy to hear you have the extra time off work…paid too! :happydance:
I limped when I was tired post op. Most often I didn’t even realize until someone asked “are you limping?” Concentrate on heel-toe walking as much as you’re able. I’m sure it will ease with more time, it did for me.
@AxeAndExtraFox

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re enjoying steady progress and feeling stronger each month.
Take good care!
@AxeAndExtraFox

Thank you @Layla !
I an back to work after 8 weeks and I am so glad I was able to wait that long to go back. I'm so glad I took everyone's advice not to push it. I needed to mentally heal from the surgery as well.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT you guys are the best

Awesome update. Thanks for sharing! You’re right, this surgery does take more than just a physical toll. I’m happy to read you’re doing so well, both mentally and physically.
May it be smooth sailing from here on out. Stay in touch!
@AxeAndExtraFox

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom