THR Fox's Recovery Thread

Understandable that those strange sensations are unnerving. You’ll have those instances in recovery that are questionable since it’s all new and you don’t know what to expect. I recall that it seemed like one odd sensation was replaced by another in those early weeks.

I believe what you’ve described above happens when the Psoas Tendon rubs against your new hip. The popping sensation occurs as your hip is healing and you may notice it while turning your leg side to side. It is not dislocating though, if it did you’d be in excruciating pain in need of an ambulance ride to the ER from my understanding. Yikes! You don’t want that….so be on your best behavior! :wink:
@AxeAndExtraFox

At not yet 2 weeks out from your surgery, you're still likely to get all sorts of pains. Hip replacement is major surgery and the recovery takes a long time.
Just try to go along with that, and know that things will improve as your recovery progresses.

Rest, ice, elevation and regular pain medication are your friends right now.

You can most likely rest assure that you didn't dislocate. From what people that have dislocated have said if you're conscious and not screaming you didn't dislocate.
The constant ache from your hip joint is long gone as you don't have a joint that can hurt. What we all experience is the soft tissue pain from having been dislocated and manipulated. I had zings, zaps, pulls, tearing sensation and popping feelings. I still get an odd sensation once in a while.

@Eman85 How long ago was your THR?

Its weird because today my hip isn't having those pains. I guess I will chalk it up to the eccentricity of healing!

Its weird because today my hip isn't having those pains. I guess I will chalk it up to the eccentricity of healing!

The Reality Of Recovery -

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

Just a helpful hint -
You were wondering when Eman85 had his THR’s. Each member has what we refer to as a “signature“ which reflects your surgery date. It’s located at the bottom left, under each post.

Eman85‘s shows as:
Right THR November 18, 2019
Left THR February 13, 2018

Signatures help us all to know how far along someone is when posting to them, or reading through their thread.

I hope you’re having a good day! :)

Yes it seems like I need to be open to anything!

@Layla
I don't see the signature with that info. Maybe I have a setting wrong?

Hmm, that’s odd. Let me do some checking on that…
I will let you know.

Layla posted my dates, they are listed under all of our posts.
The feelings will change, the trauma to our soft tissue is pretty sever and all of the healing has all different sensations. Plenty of internal stitches in there that gave me pulling and tearing sensations. I think the popping with mine was stretched tendons.

So glad that your post after a week showed that you were a lot better than at first, think It’s a good idea that a previous post said to look back weekly to see the improvements as everyone seems to have good and bad days in the early stages from what I’ve read. My hip op is on 4 th August, I’m scared but just want to be able to walk again without pain. Take care.

I haven't read too much yet about pain treatments because it has been a whirl wind. I plan on doing that ASAP in the mean time o have Tylenol and it and ice and I am suffering. I didn't think it would be painless but omgosh!!!
Just got dismissed from the hospital yesterday. I can relate. The best is to stay still and move slowly. Hope your pain diminishes.

Ok 3 weeks out from surgery.
Did i tell you guys they accidentally threw out my hip bone? This is after I had signed paperwork and reminded everyone I saw that i wanted to keep it the day of the surgery--except the surgeon. We talked about other things, and I forgot to mention it. I figured since all of the rest of the team knew, and I went through all the red tape of paperwork, I didn't have to worry about it. Honestly I was heartbroken. My surgeon was very apologetic (and thought it was cool I wanted it). What a great teaching tool it would have been! My surgeon promised to send me high quality scans and x ray images to try to make up for it.
Anyway, i had my 3 week appt and the doc said my hardware looks perfect. The nurse was amazed I have no swelling. Next week I can go without the cane and walker if I can tolerate it. Yay.
I am making an effort to eat the good foods for healing that are mentioned elsewhere on your website. I hope to keep that a habit. Thanks for the info!

Aww, that’s too bad. Not that it matters to you, but I don’t know if I’d want to see, or touch my hip bone. I think it would freak me out a bit, but if you wanted yours and felt confident they’d release it to you, I certainly understand your disappointment.

Call me weird, but I’d like a filmed recording of any surgery invasive enough that necessitates me being under anesthesia. I don’t like the “out of control” part and not knowing exactly what was said and done while I was in la-la land.

Great news on your post op visit with the surgeon. You’re doing well. Stay in touch and let us know how its going as you drop the assistive devices. Best Wishes!

Have a wonderful weekend. :)
@AxeAndExtraFox

I tried to watch a YouTube video of the surgery and I just couldn't do it

Me neither, I’m with you. Ugh! I tried to watch an animation type video on THR and as soon as they started reaming out the femur, I was gagging / done. Color me - WIMP when it comes to that.

I don’t believe I could ever watch a video of someone cutting into my body, but there is always the possibility it could become an asset if a complication arose….Thats how I view it anyway.

Hope your day was a relaxing one….A great week to you!

@AxeAndExtraFox I also could not watch YouTube videos of hip replacement surgery - not cartoon or real life ones! I can describe what is done, so theoretically I know the procedure, but watch it happen - NO way!

I'm sorry you did not get to keep your hip bone. It's wonderful to hear you are doing so well with your recovery!

[QUOTE="Layla, post: 1490751,

Me neither, I’m with you. Ugh! I tried to watch an animation type video on THR and as soon as they started reaming out the femur, I was gagging / done. Color me - WIMP when it comes to that.

I couldn't take the CUTTING. The incision was too much for me. Once the person was open it was eaiser.

So here's a question. In the suggested activity progression for my recovery week 4, it says:

"Weeks 4 and 5
Increase walks around, to 30mins, longer if you feel up to it.

Activity: now you can do some dusting and push a vacuum round the middle of the living room; do a little meal prep (for yourself not the family!), maybe fill and empty the washing machine"

So is this suggestion assuming that aside from doing these things you are lying/sitting in bed? Because I putter around the house quite a bit.

I'm just trying to get a handle on how active I have been compared to this suggestion. I'm a little worried because I am exhausted trying to walk around the block at this point. But it's not even my leg that hurts so much as my arms from leaning on the walker. I wonder if I should try it with my cane and see if that's easier. I mean, I am overweight and out of shape (but 47 so youngish) so maybe it's that??

Anyone have any insight?

Hello @AxeAndExtraFox
The Activity Progression for THR is only a rough gauge. Some will excel and some will lag behind. Either is okay, we all heal after different rates for a variety of reasons, age, general health, the amount of time you dealt with your deteriorating hip….just to name a few.

I would advise that as long as the activity you‘re partaking in, isn’t causing you pain, nor setting you back to where you need a time out to recover with rest and ice, keep doing what you’re doing.

Try slowly easing into longer walks. Depending upon where you live, some count mailboxes, or garages they pass, slowly adding one or two more with each walk, or adding one or two every couple days. There is no hurry, your body is healing from the controlled trauma of major surgery and you’re still a couple days away from being one month post op. It’s early days in the entire scheme of things. Also, always be sure not to walk until you’re tired because you need to have the energy to get back to your starting point. Seems like common sense, but it’s easy to keep going while you’re feeling good, then suddenly you’re not feeling as strong or energized.

Personally, I don’t think I’d set out on a walk with the cane, until you’ve completely ditched the walker and are feeling confident with the cane. Just my opinion.

Have a good one!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom