THR Fox's Recovery Thread

AxeAndExtraFox

Country
United States United States
I haven't read too much yet about pain treatments because it has been a whirl wind. I plan on doing that ASAP in the mean time o have Tylenol and it and ice and I am suffering. I didn't think it would be painless but omgosh!!!

Hi,
Just read your post. And you brought back such a familiar memory.
It's been 2 years for me but I do remember what it felt like the day after surgery!!! It was too painful to get out of bed. I couldn't believe it either. All I can say is that things WILL get better - in a little while.

Hello @AxeAndExtraFox - and :welome: to recovery.

I'm sorry you're in pain.
What have you been prescribed for pain relief?

It's important to take your medications on a regular schedule, as well as to ice and elevate. Keep activity to a minimum initially; just walking to and from the bathroom is enough for now.

Here are our recovery guidelines, to help you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I've been prescribed oxy and Tylenol and ice. I just made it through my first night. My husband didn't hear my texts for help and I ended up peeing on the floor. It is a MAJOR undertaking to get in bed (if course, especially with no help) and I just discovered my monthly cycle is occurring.

Oh, @AxeAndExtraFox
The first days postop can indeed be a bit chaotic and stressful.
Hopefully you and your husband can find a helpful routine and get through this toughest part.
You may need to set an alarm or have him help you keep up with medication times so you can stay ahead of the pain.
Sorry you also have to deal with "your friend" (period) on top of it all.:sigh:
I thought I was going to have to go into surgery in that state but thankfully it stopped the day before.
Hang in there, my new hippy pal.
All temporary.

Welcome to recovery and congrats on your new hip! I’m sorry you’re off to a rough start. I hope you’re able to keep your pain under control with meds and ice. While I’m sure it feels difficult right now, you’ll soon establish a pattern and way of doing things. You’ll be surprised at the difference just one week post op is.

Try not to look for daily progress in the early weeks, but reflect back each weekend at the progress you’ve made since the weekend before and you’ll see the difference. Believe it or not, I think you’ll have a great Summer / Fall overall. Losing the pain of a deteriorating hip is enough in itself! :happydance:

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend!
@AxeAndExtraFox

@AxeAndExtraFox :wave: Good to see you on the healing side. Rough starts are kind of common but good thing is they usually level out pretty quick. Just try your best to keep ahead of the pain by taking meds on time, ice, elevate and rest. Right now that's pretty much your job. :friends:

It's been a week since surgery and I can't beleive how much difference a week makes! I wish I understood that immediately post op. I thought the horrid pain would go on for much longer!
My surgery was on a Thursday and that weekend after surgery everything I feared would happen in my household did happen. My husband didn't line up help in a timely manner so he was overwhelmed and yelling at the kids and the little ones were having tantrums and the older ones weren't helping and it was a disaster. Strangely, once my pain was more controlled, everything in the house calmed down. My oldest daughter told me later that my husband was really worried about me at first.
Anyway, life is good and I am very thankful I have been blessed with all I have.
This community and all the info has been a Godsend. Thanks for all you do. It has really made this process less scary and it's so good to have support!

Yay! Such wonderful news. Happy One Week Anniversary!

Strangely, once my pain was more controlled, everything in the house calmed down.
You know the old saying “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy“ I think it’s difficult for our spouse and kids to see us vulnerable, in pain, or under the weather. Probably makes them feel a bit out of sorts. We’re often the “fixers” of all that ails everyone else in the household and when we’re out of commission it can cause a little anxiety as you witnessed.
Anyway, life is good and I am very thankful I have been blessed with all I have.
I love a grateful heart, it’s such a virtue! This surgery has a way of making us reflect on and be thankful for the little things once again. We’re thankful and appreciative that you’re finding the resources and community here helpful.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Sounds like the pain medications did kick in at the right level. But there was a delay of sorts?

It can certainly be terrifying to think, "this pain is bad and it will continue." Love reading about the family adjustments.

Sounds like everyone had anxiety and fear for a few days, but to your family's credit, everyone then adjusted! Great story.

I'm glad your pain is decreasing.
Now you're feeling a bit better, would you like to change your thread title?

Done, thanks for the quick response. Much better for where you are now.
Chris

Last edited:
Ok I haven't dug deep for more info on this one yet, but thought I would post my question in the meantime.
I used to only have a constant ache in my hip area. Now, almost 2 weeks out, I don't have pain unless I move it just right and then a get a nasty STAB of pain. This is accompanied by popping sensations. I assume my hip is not dislocated because I can stand on it fine and only have the intermittent pain. I am guessing things are just getting settled in the hip area and healing and i just "rub it the wrong way" now and again. But it's unnerving, ya know?? Is this common?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom