THR Fourth Replacement and hopefully done

Yesterday was six weeks after my surgery. I moved from a walker to a cane ten days ago after xrays that showed the femur crack was healed. I have not been in PT, because I could not put more than 20% of my weight on the foot on the operated side. I stopped Tramadol at four weeks and mostly stopped ibuprofen at four weeks except for a couple of days after a fall shortly after switching to the cane. I have been extremely careful though I continue to slowly increase my activity. I have been doing laundry and cooking dinner most nights since my restrictions were lifted.

My next surgeon’s visit is on August 9th-hopefully the incision and staple scabs will be full healed and I will get permission to return to a pool! Walking back and forth in the shallow end has worked well for PT after my previous replacements. Hoping it will work and I can ditch the cane soon.

Despite the femur crack restrictions this recovery is easier, perhaps because of structured pre-op PT and the use of a Provena device for eight days after surgery.

Last edited:
:hi:Glad to see your update... And you sound to be doing very well.:) :-) (:

The Hurry up and Wait part is the hardest part...as you well know.
Hope you have a good week and that all keeps getting better and better.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you were pleased with your appointment back on August 9th and received the green light to get back into the pool.:swim:and ditch the can if you’re feeling up to it.
Enjoy the remaining weeks of Summer! :SUNsmile:
@LeeApril26

Thanks, Layla. My August 9th check up went well. The skin was healed and I was given permission to swim. I have been trying not to overdo it so have been exercising in the pool for twenty minutes three times a week and on the other days walk, weather permitting. Did a mile on last walking day but now raining and raining so have not been able to swim or take walks. Hopefully better weather will arrive by Friday. In the house I am trying to walk without the cane, but takes a lot of “abs” control not to limp.

Thanks again for the advice and support.

I understand this isn’t your first hip recovery, but don’t forget to keep heel-toe walking in mind in an effort to resolve the limp.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual…hope it helps.

1627142717668.jpeg

This helped me while I was still limping a bit, but I found I really did need to concentrate. It did not come naturally and I easily fell back into the old sloppy comfortable walk I’d grown accustomed to. It was also pointed out to me that I was limping on occasion without even realizing. Whenever someone called my attention to this, it seemed to happen if I was fatigued, or had recently engaged in more than usual activity.

Thanks for updating, it seems you’re doing really well. A great rest of the week to you!
@LeeApril26

You’re welcome! Good news. It is kind of amazing how it helps. Concentrating on my gait made me feel like I was walking taller and more in control.
You’re doing great. Have a wonderful weekend!
@LeeApril26

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom