THR Fourth Replacement and hopefully done

Thank you, Layla. I am happy to be at home. It does require my husband to lift my leg in and out of bed but I am hope it won’t last long. I can do it if I bend my leg but nurse said it is against restrictions. We have a high bed. Still happy to be here.

so sorry to hear about your complication, but it sounds like it is progressing in a positive manner. How are you managing your pain with getting around? That seems to be my biggest obstacle at this point.

@DA32561 Are you icing, and elevating your leg? I try to get up for a few minutes each hour when I am awake, It hurts.

I am taking Tramadol (Ultram) and Tylenol. Am supposed to start reducing Tramadol today-Nope! I have no pain in the incision but do have back pain and muscle pain in the front of my thigh.
How swollen is your leg? My doctor says if pain is really difficult or worsening I am likely doing to much, and to forget exercises and just rest, ice and elevate.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Hopefully your log leg has dissipated and you’re enjoying some progress. We’d love to read an update when you have time to leave one. Until then…wishing you all the best! :wave:
@LeeApril26

Hi Layla,
My hip is healing well. I am still on the walker with only 20% weight on the foot on the operated side. Figuring out 20% and hopping around on the ball of my foot is frustrating! My hip is feeling better but my shoulders and hands hurt. I live in a very congested part of NY with very busy streets so have been at home except for staple removal at HSS. Basically another lockdown.
Tomorrow I will have xrays followed by a visit with my surgeon to determine if the femur crack is healed enough for me to put weight on my operated leg. I hope so so I can finally get out of my apartment.
Very grateful the hip is healing well but so want to get out!
Thanks for checking in.

Good luck with your appointment on Monday. I hope you hear good news tomorrow and you’re able to bear more weight and safely get outdoors. I’m sure you’re going stir crazy.

Have you tried any padding for the the walker so it’s not so hard on your hands? I know Amazon sells walker hand pads. My dad fashioned a pair for the walker I used out of circular foam (the kind of material pool noodles are made of) imagine the material of one of those, but les thick, cut lengthwise to slide over the handle bar of walker. Lifesaver! Fingers crossed you get the green light tomorrow to get off the walker soon.

Hope the rest of your day is peaceful.
@LeeApril26

Thanks, Layla. I am quite nuts! I feel sorry for my husband:)

I did purchase the foam hand pads for the walker after an earlier suggestion, and they help, but I have arthritis in both thumbs so still painful. I am very fortunate that I am a swimmer because this is arduous-very grateful for strong upper arms.

Thanks again!

Hi Layla,
I saw my surgeon on Monday for a four and half week check up. After reviewing my Xrays he said my femur crack had healed well and I could switch to a cane and put my full weight on my operated side. That was great and I did well yesterday.

This morning my cane slid on the wooden floor and I fell onto my right knee, which was replaced in 2018. I did not hit my new hip. I dragged myself into the bathroom and got up by pulling myself up to sit on the side of the tub as I did not want to kneel on the bruised knee.

I reported this to the PA at my surgeon’s office. Other than the bruise and more soreness in the front of my thigh I had not “red flags” so she suggested an anti-inflammatory if I had pain, and ice on the knee.

It just occurred to me that I don’t know what a red flag would be if I loosened the femur crack??? Is that likely? Probably just anxious as I am not having difficulty walking. I have not taken any meds in a bit more than two weeks. Will take an Advil for the knee.

Should I be looking out for anything?
Thanks,
Lenora

This morning my cane slid on the wooden floor and I fell onto my right knee, which was replaced in 2018. I did not hit my new hip. I dragged myself into the bathroom and got up by pulling myself up to sit on the side of the tub as I did not want to kneel on the bruised knee.

Oh gosh, I’m so sorry, it must have been frightening. Thinking of you dragging yourself along the floor is so sad.

While feeling anxious about falling is understandable, try not to be alarmed and continue icing and OTC pain relief if you’re still dealing with discomfort today. The main symptom I’d watch for is unrelenting or escalating pain. I’m betting you’re going to be okay and its just a blip on the screen.
Hugs and best wishes for a good day and weekend. :console2: Stay in touch!

Thanks so much for the reassurance and counsel. It was terrifying. The first thing I should have done was take my phone of the dresser-duh- but it did not occur to me until I got into the bathroom.
I am. A bit sore today but nothing dramatic except I smashed my now bruised toe into my new four-legged cane. Ugh!

Oh, no!
I think we need to lock you up for your own safety. :wink:
Hopefully you realize I’m only joking for some levity.

It’s good to hear you’re only a bit sore after the fall because I think that’s a good sign.
Stay safe and enjoy the day as best as you can dear Lenora.:friends:Thanks for the update.
@LeeApril26

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to read about your fall! I did a couple oopsies with hips during recovery and it is so worrisome.
I agree with @Layla that its most likely a good sign if you aren't having excruciating pain and not reaching or wishing for stronger narcotics like at the beginning of your recovery (right out of surgery).
and now your toe, maybe today is a good day to curl up with a good book and chill.. :gaah:

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to read about your fall! I did a couple oopsies with hips during recovery and it is so worrisome.
I agree with @Layla that its most likely a good sign if you aren't having excruciating pain and not reaching or wishing for stronger narcotics like at the beginning of your recovery (right out of surgery).
and now your toe, maybe today is a good day to curl up with a good book and chill.. :gaah:

Thanks, Cricket. I am feeling a bit clumsy:)
Have taken your advice and am reading a book but wish I could levitate from room to room.

Yes, me too. I have been pushing him out to do stuff because he has been helping me for five weeks. So the first time he went to play tennis I fall! Poor man.

Falling is something we all fear. I have to confess I have fallen too, more than I would like to admit. A quick X-ray always reinforced that all is OK. These hips are strong and have always held up many years after. One hip is 24 years old imagine all it’s been thru and still ticking.

Thanks! I fell on my other hip two years after my THR but five weeks is really scary. It seems to be okay though. I did not go for an X-ray but would have if I had increasing pain.

A bit sore today but nothing dramatic except I smashed my now bruised toe into my new four-legged cane. Ugh!

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your recovery story, and I hope your smashed and bruised toe
and knee aren't hurting! When you're recovering and trying so hard
to be careful, avoid pain (and dislocation!!!), it is easy to understand
how forgetting our phones would happen!

I haven't had my THR yet, so I am reading A LOT
of threads and learning sooo much! Your cane story reminds me of my
terrible clumbsiness---I am ALWAYS having minor accidents like yours. It is
infuriating and painful !!! :sad:

If you don't mind explaining, I'm curious what 20% is like? Did a
physical therapist guide you? I know what it's like to have sore
hands, arms and shoulders, since I'm already completely dependent on
my walker.

I googled your wound-draining system, and wondered how it
stayed on your incision? Did it come off when you changed
postion and/or when you walked? Did it tug on your incision?

I've read A LOT of threads here, but yours is the first that I've heard
of the femur cracking---OUCH! Sorry for all you've been through!

Hi Puggles,
Thanks for your support. I don’t know if you can see my signature but this is my 4th replacement: left hip in 2013, followed by knees in 2017 and 2018, and recently right hip.

As far as recovery, this surgery was the fastest, I think because of the Provena device. It was a rectangular rubber device that seemed to be on the hip incision with suction and glue. There was a long plastic tube connected to something that looked like a small transistor radio that I wore around my neck for 8 days. I could feel suction, and there could have been drainage but I did not have it. Though wearing it was annoying I had very little swelling and not much pain. My leg did not feel like a log this time and by day two I could get it off and on the bed by myself. The last time I had to loop a belt around my leg and lift the deadwood feeling leg off and on bed. I only took Tramadol for a couple of weeks and then switched to Tylenol. As off the end of third week no painkillers at all til I fell. Now Taking nightly Advil because of bruises from fall. The Provena device compressed the incision very gently.it was not painful at all.

To figure out the 20% I was told to put the foot of my operated leg on a scale and push down until I reached 20% of my weight, and that was the amount of pressure on that foot. To do it I basically had to walk on the ball of that foot because if I put my foot flat I put too much weight on that leg. I did not have home PT, just a weekly session online. That was my choice. My doctor does not encourage a lot of activity for the first six weeks after hip or knee surgery. Like BoneSmart he prescribes normal movement -walking five minutes of every hour, some gentle exercises in bed, and rest, ice and elevation.

Femur cracks are among the risks of the surgery. My surgeon said he had an exceptionally hard time removing the hip, and was worried about the pelvis. It was a small crack that he cemented during the surgery.i find a couple of others on BoneSmart but it seems rare.
Best wishes for a non eventful surgery. Feel free to ask more questions:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88