Lounge Doctor

THR Fourth Replacement and hopefully done

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for right THR on June 18th. Using a cane in the meantime, and flying to CA in April to help watch my grandson before and after his baby sister arrives. Should be interesting chasing a six year old. (FYI:fully vaccinated.)

Pumpkin

Country
@LeeApril26 ,
Welcome back to BoneSmart! :welome:
You have been added to the June Sunbeams , and your surgery date has been added to your signature.
You will notice I have moved your post in the June Sunbeams to your own pre op thread. If you would like a different title, just post it here, and a moderator will change it for you.
Chasing a six year old just before your surgery will keep your mind off of your TKR. :dogwalk:

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@LeeApril26 Welcome back to BoneSmart! You are going to join the 4 replacements club in June. Meanwhile I am sure that grandson will keep you busy.

It's tough flying with a sore hip. Ask for an aisle seat so that you can get up and stretch often.

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Thanks for the aisle seat suggestion. I followed your advice. Also appreciate the opportunity to participate in the OneStep Study. It was very helpful.

Pumpkin

Country
LeeApril26,
Glad to hear you enjoyed the OneStep study and found it helpful.
Enjoy your time with your family.

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Another question: still chasing the six year old, I fly home a week before surgery.

I have been invited to my great-niece’s wedding exactly one month after surgery. This will involve cross country flights. Is it out of the question? Her grandfather, my elder brother, has been in poor health and really wants me there.

Thoughts? Advice? Thank you

Pumpkin

Country
@LeeApril26
Flying that soon after surgery will be challenging, and require careful planning. Speak to your surgeon and see what they say about your flying one month after surgery.
Here is some helpful information about Flying soon after surgery

Is there anyway you can push your surgery date up to have more time for healing?

Looks like you are eligible for membership in the Four Replacements Club.

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Thanks so much. I will read the article and check with the surgeon. I can’t have the surgery earlier because I’m helping with my grandson and new granddaughter.
I am a definite candidate for The Four Replacements Club. Flying so soon does sound tricky, especially the possibility of blood clots, on a cross country flight.

thanks again.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@LeeApril26 Do ask your surgeon about flying early out of surgery. They know your history and will make recommendations based on your own medical situation.

Note that at one month out you won't be able to carry anything heavy like a suitcase.

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Thanks, Jaycey. I will have a companion on the flight, if I decide to do it. And I guess I will have no choice but to check my bag and hope it arrives in Oregon.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@LeeApril26 Just make sure that when you check in they label your suitcase as going to PDX (Portland, Oregon) and not PWM (Portland, Maine) :snork:

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Oh, thank you. I have a bad history of lost luggage at very inconvenient times.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
All the best tomorrow! We’ll be watching for you on the healing side and will look forward to hearing from you once you’re home and resting comfortably.

Wishing you comfort as you wait. :)
@LeeApril26

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Thank you! Could you please remind me how to post on the other side. I should know but?

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @LeeApril26
Sorry we missed your question.
This article should help.

However it might've been a bit much for my fog brain after surgery so if you'd like just let us know what you'd like your recovery thread title to read, and we can do it for you.

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Oh, thank you. Had surgery yesterday and just got home. Brain is totally foggy.

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Forgot to give you title. Fourth Replacement and hopefully done.

OP
OP
LeeApril26

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
Thanks so much for good wishes. I had a complication-a crack in the femur because hip ball difficult to remove. I am home, using a walker and can put only 20% of my weight on operated leg. Coordination is not my strong point. I am taking Tramodol, Tylenol and 21 days of Xarelto.

The surgeon applied a Prevena device which compresses incision area and prevents swelling. So far no swelling. It stays on for seven days. It is awkward because there are wires connected to what looks like the size of a transistor radio, and a tube for drainage. If you get a lot of drainage that is reported to surgeon. No drainage so far. It stays on for seven days.

Hope my June predecessors are doing well.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Welcome to recovery! It’s so good to be resting at home in your own space. I hope your pain is well controlled alowing you to be reasonably comfortable.
Good news there’s no drainage. I hope the 20% weight bearing isn’t too difficult for you. Keep us posted, we’d love to follow your progress.
A peaceful Sunday to you. :)
@LeeApril26

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FunctionIsFun