TKR Four Months Post TKR

I am 11 months post surgery and still am having issues with complete flexion. I currently am at 105 degrees of flexion and an extension of 3. I am so afraid my flexion will never be what it should be. Is there anyone else having the same problem. With flexion issues. What can I do to improve this. I have an appointment with ortho on October 28 th.

What can I do to improve this.
Just be patient. That ROM will come when your knee is ready. There is no timeframe for gaining ROM.

Here are some great examples from 2 of our members who continued to see improvements one year out or more:

This is betrtschb's record of how his flexion developed over time:
I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

And another record, from Campervan - she discovered that her flexion had increased even at 6 years post-op:
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "

My ROM was poor my whole first year but I had more improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal more, and even some more in my third. Some of us just take longer than others.

How can I tell if there is something wrong. Like scar tissue. Or something wrong with implant versus normal healing process. I have an autoimmune disorder so I know I heal slower than most. But I get periods where I am so concerned something is wrong with the knee that will require more procedures. Which I would dread

Or like a patellar issue. Because sometimes I feel as though my patella doesn’t not move correctly when I flex my knee. Thanks for your help

I would think your surgeon will take xrays at your October appointment and he can check your patella tracking. He should be able to answer any questions you have then.

@Roux my FLEXION was not where I wanted to be at 7 or 8 mo. I read here to extend my stride while walking. I did and forgot about it. Low and behold around 1 yr. I noticed my knee was as straight as it could be. May just have been time, either way I relaxed, stopped trying so hard and it worked out.

I relaxed, stopped trying so hard and it worked out.
I agree this is the best way. I just pretty much ignored my knee after around the 6th month out. I did things I wanted to do and if I had pain or swelling afterward, I wouldn't do it again for a while. I think if you just forget about your knee and live your life, your ROM will come in just fine.

Last edited:
@sistersinhim funny thing first knee is now unhappy with PT with new knee, stiffness, not much pain. Guess it's not happy with extra responsibility and exercise.

Yep, I imagine that's exactly what it is. It's fussing because it has to do most of the work now! That's to be expected.

So I had a tkr I year ago. Saw the os for follow up Last month Said X-rays are normal however I still am unable to get my flexion greater than 110, my knee is sore and stiff when rising In the morning . If I flex my knee to far it is painful. He said no further procedures needed. He is aware of my complaints. He said since I had poor rom before surgery I may have contractures there from years of immobility. I had knee pain for about 4 years before I had my surgery I am still able to walk up and down the stairs ride a bike etc, but my knee feels tight . my range is improved compared to before surgery but I find it hard to believe that there is nothing wrong. I feel like I should have better range than I do. Does anyone have a similar issue. I would appreciate any guidance here

He said since I had poor rom before surgery I may have contractures there from years of immobility. I had knee pain for about 4 years before I had my surgery I am still able to walk up and down the stairs ride a bike etc, but my knee feels tight. my range is improved compared to before surgery but I find it hard to believe that there is nothing wrong.
It makes sense that since your ROM was lower before your replacement that it'll take quite a while for it to get higher than that after it. It is increasing, so you'll continue to see improvement there, but it a time thing. Being able to ride a bike and go up and down the stairs shows that you are doing what you need to do and is proof that you are increasing that bend. My bend increased some more in my second year and is only about 120 now, but I can do the things I want to do, too, and that's what counts!

My bend increased some more in my second year and is only about 120 now, but I can do the things I want to do, too, and that's what counts!
My bend also improved in my second year, as my whole leg relaxed and continued to heal. I even saw more improvement in my third year!

I know how frustrating it is to still not be where we think we should be, after all it’s been a whole year, but honestly, it is still possible to see improvement in the future. Some of best advice I was given was to forget about my knee and get on with my life and stop worrying. Hard to do at times, but very true.

I have a question. I have read that a person can develop scar tissue years after a knee replacement. I am 13 months post tka and still have marked stiffness in my knee. Pain with increased flexion and do not have full flexion. The farthest I am able to flex is 112. When I am on my feet for long periods of time my knee feels swollen and develops decreased range which resolves when I rest if I massage my knee it feels better. I take Tylenol morning and night. I am able to bike and walk up and down the stairs. But my knee just doesn’t feel right. I have talked to my os but he says everything looks okay. Anyone have similar issues. Any suggestions. Should I seek a second opinion. I just don’t know if this is normal. Most people who have knee replacements that I have talked to don’t have these issues. So I just dont know what to do anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Roux,
Your knee may just need more time to heal. Since you are over a year out from your TKR, a second pair of eyes checking out your TKR is a good idea.
You will want to look for a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction or revisions. They should have no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.

Be sure to join us in the Community forums for our New Years Party, you can even bring a virtual snack.
Here is a link to the forum were the party will be held. Community Room
Hope to see you there.

I wasn’t fully healed at the one year mark, either, but I had a lot of improvement in my second year, both with ROM and strength. I had a second opinion at 15 months and they found nothing to fix.

Thank you for the recommendations and information. Happy new year

Hello
I had my left knee replacement in November 2019. I had a complicated post op course however now my flexion range is approx. 110, on some days more up to 118 but when I flex my knee I get a pain in the front of my knee. It almost feels like something was sutured to tight. I do regular stretching exercises, have attended pt twice in addition to post op pt. I went for a second opinion and was told the prosthetic is good And felt my motion was good. I can Walk distances and walk up and down the stairs normally. My flexion is not as good as my unaffected knee. I just am concerned that I still have this pain when I flex my knee. The second opinion told me 1 out of 10 patients have similar complaints and mentioned possibility of complex regional pain syndrome. I don’t take pain meds. Just Tylenol. My question is if anyone else on this forum has similar problems and how do you handle that. Thanks for your help

I’m sorry you’re still having pain this far from surgery. Some of us are like that. 4 years after my Patellofemoral partial I still have a lot of discomfort in the lower lateral section. I’ve had 2 second opinions and no one knows why, but honestly, they didn’t look past my X-ray, as they said my X-ray looked fine. But, not all problems show up on an X-ray.
My question is if anyone else on this forum has similar problems and how do you handle that.
While not happy, I am managing with a disappointing outcome. Sometimes I still get frustrated with it and other times I just get on with life as best I can.

After a rough first year I did have improvement in my second year, especially with ROM, and even some more improvement in my third year, hopefully you will have that also.

Give it some more time and if it doesn’t improve maybe consider another second opinion. I had my surgery in Delaware, but had my second opinions in the Philadelphia and Baltimore areas, so I’d get unbiased opinions.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom