TKR Four days post op

I'm 10 days post op and following the Bonesmart way. I passed all the goals for home pt. I kept telling her no new exercises and no pushing on me. She respected my wishes. My doctor was on board with the idea of the first two weeks being mainly about rest, healing and controlling swelling. I've been married to the ice machine lol

Without doing anything to straighten knee, surgeon magically had me flat at discharge and I have stayed flat. I do ankle pumps and gentle slides. For flexion. I got back to 90 degrees from 75 after the first pt pushed on my leg. So, the current pt said I could use a cane except at nights or tired. All in all, pretty happy at 10 days. I get the stitches out Wednesday.

I got back to 90 degrees from 75 after the first pt pushed on my leg
Please don't let anyone push on your leg. It may temporarily increase the reading, but it is not improving your real flexion. If your knee doesn't bend beyond 75 degrees on its own, it's because there is still significant internal swelling. Forcing it is only going to increase the swelling and slow your recovery.

As a reminder, here are a couple of articles from our library about regaining your range of motion:
Please take things slowly. Slow-and-steady is the best approach to this recovery. :flwrysmile:

I got back to 90 degrees from 75 after the first pt pushed on my leg
Please don't let anyone push on your leg. It may temporarily increase the reading, but it is not improving your real flexion. If your knee doesn't bend beyond 75 degrees on its own, it's because there is still significant internal swelling. Forcing it is only going to increase the swelling and slow your recovery.

As a reminder, here are a couple of articles from our library about regaining your range of motion:
Please take things slowly. Slow-and-steady is the best approach to this recovery. :flwrysmile:

@benne68, I didn't explain well. I regressed to 75 after being at 90 when the pt pushed on it. He was the head home PT and sent the female PT that would be assigned to me. I told her there would be no more pushing me. So after that, I got back to 90. She kept wanting to add exercises as well. But fortunately, I kept taking out my discharge paperwork. My doctor clearly said no exercises except the heel slides, ADL, and a few others recommended in Bonesmart. His instructions say the first few weeks are for recovery and healing. No threats of MUA like some surgeons do. So, I have a great doctor.

So, I have a great doctor.
Yes you do have a good one! I am happy to read you took charge and likely saved yourself some misery. Good for you!
I hope you have a nice week. :)

I told her there would be no more pushing me.
Good for you! You stuck to your guns and gained your bend back! Being firm with PTs is really beneficial in this recovery. So many don't know how to rehab a joint replacement and treat it wrongly, resulting in more inflammation, swelling, and pain. This actually extends the healing time.
She kept wanting to add exercises as well. But fortunately, I kept taking out my discharge paperwork. My doctor clearly said no exercises except the heel slides, ADL, and a few others recommended in Bonesmart. His instructions say the first few weeks are for recovery and healing.
Again, good for you, and good for your doctor! We are finding that many more up-to-date surgeons are ordering gentle therapy and their patients are having a less painful recovery in, many times, a quicker timeframe.

Sorry if I misread your earlier post, @Softsong. It's clear you are in control with PT.

Good for you!

Happy One Month Anniversary, Softsong!
I hope you're doing well. Let us know how recovery is going when you have the time. Many blessings to you in 2023!
@Softsong

Hello fellow smarties. I have not posted in awhile. I had two setbacks. One, the incision got infected. I had a two hour ride for my two week checkup and the PA was not happy with how red the incision and surrounding area was. She performed lab tests to check my numbers and make sure the implant was ok. The PA even stayed after hours to get the results. She sent me home with a prescription of antibiotics and I had 24 hours to show that the oral medicine was making a difference. Or, she said I needed to prepare for admittance to the hospital for IV drip. Thank goodness, I did respond, but it's been slow. She added a steroid pack for swelling. I had to go back to the office the next week, so an unscheduled three week checkup. The other setback was that an internal suture popped on my left medial area and while I was already using a cane or nothing, I had to go back to the walker as I was unable to bear weight. I am now 5 weeks post op and finished three weeks of antibiotics. I hope so much that nothing comes of this. I've heard of the ordeal that people go through when the implant gets infected. I only have two weeks paid vacation so I am out with three weeks no pay. I asked to be put on the schedule. Thankfully, my boss was concerned I would be coming back too soon. So, he put me on two days a week for two weeks and let's see if you are ready. Tonight is my first day back. It's third shift and I am not used to sleeping in the day so I am super tired. Knee is behaving.

So sorry to hear of your troubles. I do hope the infection settles. Also sorry you have to get back to work so soon. Hope it all works out for you. Just try to rest whenever you can.

Oh, how I hated that midnight shift! Are you taking ice packs with you so you can ice and elevate frequently? Your boss sounds really understanding. That is a blessing. I pray your infection is totally gone and you can get on with healing that knee the best way you can!

Sorry to read you had to deal with the infection, Softsong.
Hopefully work is going well now that you've been back awhile. I hope you're settling in comfortably. Its a special day....Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Have a lovely day and weekend!
@Softsong

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks. @sistersinhim , my boss is understanding and I have two ice packs in the work refrigerator. Helps a lot! InkedMarie, and beachy, the infection has cleared up thank goodness! And Layla, thanks for the anniversary wishes! I am full-time now and my ROM is good even though I did not have any more PT other than the home one. I ran into another problem, which is about a 5.9% chance in TKR. My Pes Anserine Bursa is inflamed. I supposed it is because my leg is straight and three tendons are not happy and rubbing the bursa the wrong way. I can't have a cortisone shot because it is too soon. I should stay off of it, so I am using a walker to take my weight off of it. I actually have one at work and I come home and seriously ice and do Aleve. I asked for PT for that and not the typical knee replacement therapy. I was evaluated today and they were pretty shocked that my flexion was 114 with no PT and my extension 0. I have done very little exercise other than gentle heel slides and pressing my leg to the bed. Most of the therapy was life's daily activities. So, no need to work for it as you smarties have said. On some other support sites, they are always talking about working harder and more PT and then they are swollen and depressed they have a setback. I think PT would be very valuable if they listened when we tell them no pushing or pulling on us while our knee recovers. My ROM came by itself. ;-)

That's a great report!
I was 115 and 4 about 3 weeks ago. I'm 7 weeks post op now, about a week behind you. I'm doing PT the same way you are.
Sorry to hear about the bursa inflammation. At what point can you get a cortisone shot?

I had the same thing that popped up about 2 years after my TKR. My OS sent me to PT for ultrasound treatments and NO exercises. The US helped tremendously. You can ask your OS about this.
pes-anserine-and-mpfl-pain

Thanks for the update, Softsong. It‘s good to hear from you. It sounds like you’ve made great progress and it’s always an encouragement for other’s to read you don’t have to engage in aggressive PT to have a successful recovery.

I am sorry you are dealing with an inflamed Pes Anserine bursa. I hope you're able to obtain relief soon. Best Wishes to you. Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend!
@Softsong

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom