FoundOnSocial: "Woman bounces back after knee replacement"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenB

Country
United States United States
Here's a great little success story about a woman who had used to run marathons going for knee replacement surgery ... and while she could not return to running marathons, she's now hiking, walking half-marathons, and otherwise staying an active outdoorswoman.

Link to the original story: http://www.katc.com/news/woman-bounces-back-after-knee-replacement/

--------------------------------

Woman bounces back after knee replacement
Maureen Kromis was a 58-year-old marathon runner who had tallied 17 full races totalling more than 400 miles, but in 2006 excruciating joint pain brought her to a screeching halt, searching for relief.

Her doctor, Thomas Joseph Montgomery, told her that osteoarthritis had stopped her dead in her tracks and, that if she hoped to continue any activity, he recommended a total knee replacement.

"I was afraid I would be this old person that couldn't get around by myself," Kromis said.

Post-surgery, physicians told her she could still stay active and Dr. Montgomery recommended cycling and swimming.

Running--Kromis' passion--was now off limits.

"I give patients a binder. I wrote a small book on knee replacement and it goes through everything in detail. They go to a total joint class at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital," Montgomery said.

Immediately following surgery, Kromis barely could walk down the hall, but in six-months time, she was walking a few miles a day. Montgomery explained that his patient's recovery was not as uncommon as one may think.

"We get them in aggressive physical therapy for a minimum of four to six weeks. I tell patients that they're usually 70-80 percent recovered by six weeks usually 80 to 90 percent recovered by three months, but I can take up to full year," said Montgomery.

Dr. Montgomery said a knee replacement usually lasts 10 to 20 years. Two years later, Kromis walked two half marathons and her activity didn't stop there.

"I went hiking in Maine, cave swimming in Belize, and my leg...it has gotten me there," Kromis said

Kromis said her biggest piece of advice is to go into surgery with a realistic expectation of what's to come.

"Make your decision. Don't let other people talk you into it. And, when you do check who is doing your surgery, ask other people, 'Who did your surgery? How did it go?" Kromis advised.

"Aggressive physical therapy," huh? I'm glad that worked out for her, but many of our members have had very bad experiences with that sort of regimen.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Heh. I expected that bit about "aggressive physical therapy" would raise comment on the forum. I debated whether to post this article due to that passage ... and figured the rest of the article was a positive enough story that it was still worth sharing. And I'm glad you called that bit into question to make sure that gets on record too. :)

aggressive physical therapy
This is what the OS said, sounds like what actually happened was not so aggressive. His expecatation at 6 weeks ane 3 months are unrealistic, but saying it takes a year to recover is right on.
Glad that Maureen had a successful recovery, and is able to be very active.

His expectation at 6 weeks and 3 months are unrealistic, but saying it takes a year to recover is right on.
Oh it is but she was lucky! We all know what 'aggressive therapy' entails and it gives me the shivers!

I had a very bad experience with over aggressive PT after my TLKR. I wasn't aware that is what had caused me the problems I had. I just assumed that I was the one who did something wrong. My knee is still not that great, but it is actually getting better, even 2 years later. I'm sure that my hip condition was aggravated by my knee. In any case, I won't be making the same PT mistake twice with my hip. I am doing only 4 exercises right now for my hip other than walking, and my hip feels very good. I'm still in the elevate, ice, and take Meds mode. Why do Drs and PT people continue to insist that aggressive rehab is a good thing?

Because they believe it to be true! But please don't ask me why that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks