THR Re-evaluate life after THR?

ThrInOntario

Country
Canada Canada
I am male, my mid 50s, in fairly good shape.

Boy, does the THR give one a huge kick in the butt! In my case, literally. Been having constant pain in the right glute since I got home last night! Glad I lifted weights, can prop myself up with just my left arm / leg! Still, getting around is a challenge. Hope things get better over next days

Congratulations on your new hip. Things will get better over the next few days, I’m sure one of the forum staff will post the recovery guidelines for you soon with lots of information to help you recover and get comfortable.

@ThrInOntario Welcome to BoneSmart! Sounds like your surgeon might not have set some realistic expectations about this recovery. We see this far too often. This is major surgery. It is going to take time for your body to recover from the major trauma of surgery. Give it time and don't try to push through anything. The slow and steady approach works every time.

Here are some recovery guidelines for you. Take a look at the Activity Progress, How Long Does Healing Take and the Chart Representation of Recovery. These articles will give you a rough idea of how long this recovery progresses.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I took all the meds they suggested for the first week or two in order to stay ahead of the pain which I have to say was minimal as a result. Are you taking meds?

Thanks for your post. The surgeon and the hospital called not long after I posted this morning to check on me. Impressed they called on a Saturday!

They say to expect the worst in soreness today and for swelling to build up. Recommend I move around every hour or so, but not to push myself.

...expect the worst in soreness today and for swelling to build up
Yes, I found the a amount of swelling during the first week post surgery startling! My surgical leg grew to twice it's normal size. It scared me, until I read that it was normal.

I'm glad they warned you so you won't have them same scare!

Welcome to recovery.

Did the OS or hospital tell you to ice along with the info on pain and swelling? Ice as the guidelines say to and do it as often as possible. I and many others used an icing machine. I kept it on continuously the first weeks and avoided swelling and much of the pain.

Had the operation on Friday and it’s Monday. So is it day 3?

Feeling better. Still can’t walk without a walker. On celebrex and Tylenol now. Hip flexor and quad still weak. Can’t lift the leg well. I get up and walk around with the walker every hour or so. First day off work.

Last edited:
@ThrInOntario Very early to start reducing your pain medication. Please try and stay ahead of the pain by taking your meds as prescribed, around the clock.
Hip flexor and quad still weak. Can’t lift the leg well.
This is normal post op. The entire area has been traumatised. Relax and let your hip heal. You are only days into a process that can take one year or longer.
First day off work.
The recommended time off work is 10-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work. Please allow yourself to heal. You have just had major surgery!

Ice is your best friend. Do it as often as you can as directed. I was sent home with 5 mg Hydro/tylenol. I think I took a total of 7 of them in my recovery. The rest was just ibuprofen. Ice when you can, stay the course and do your exercises when are supposed to.

It feels weird to lay flat on your back and not be able to lift your leg when extended. I promise it will come back.
Good luck to you.

There a lady on Instagram who was back at work in 7 days.
There is always someone having to "share" their super hero stories. Just ignore them a go at your own pace. I'll bet this person experiences a major setback having pushed too far too soon.

Relax and let your body heal and remember this is a marathon recovery not a sprint.
In about a week's time you will be able to lift your leg off the bed slowly, took me about that long not to have to ask for help to get off the bed.
Everyone is different.
All my best.

Day 5 Post Opt
Still can't really walk without using the walker, and my right leg and feet are swollen. The swelling is expected but is still strange to see and feel. The right leg is still weak but is better than the previous day. Can lift on/off the leg to/from bed.

Had my first "workout" using resistance bands. Did reps for shoulder, biceps, and chest. Obviously, I just stood still and did not risk any pressure on my leg. Not confident of being able to get up off the floor, so no pushups or ab work.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts