foot numbness after TKR - 4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbtexas

I came out of surgery with numbness in my right foot following right TKR on June 12th. Not getting any better. Has anyone else had a similar issue and how long does it take to regain feeling?

Hi welcome. I do remember seeing one time that happened to someone. It did go away but it took sometime. Im not sure why. Jo or Jamie can help you Im sure. They should be on soon. Good Luck to you....Where are you in Texas just wondering....Other then the numbness are you doing ok....

MBTexas,
Kim is right there was someone else that had that happen to them.
Hopefully they will see your post and tell you all about it. And Jamie or
Jo will be here soon too and they can advise you.

Have you told your surgeon about this? What does he have to say about it?

Can you lift your foot, like pull the toes up towards your knee whilst you're laying down?

There have been a couple of folks on the forum who reported foot numbness following their knee replacement. Here is a link to one thread and you can find more by doing a search for "foot numb"....

mbtexas,

I am 8 months out and have numbness also in my r foot. I had my RTKR Nov/08. It has not gotten any better. Affects the bottom 1/2 of my foot. Doc said if it did not get better by 6 months it was permanent, so it looks like I am stuck with it. Sheets and going bare foot drove me nuts, now I am better. Just always have to have shoes on. GOOD LUCK!
Mary

mbtexas, I also have the numbness when i woke up couldnt feel my foot,its been 2 years now,at first it was very hard like Mary,I couldnt have the sheet on my foot and that pins and needles and the feeling like you put your finger into the light outlet gets easier, there are tests for nerve damage ask your doctor,but do keep your shoes on.

Just noticed this was in the Social Room so moved it into After Knee Surgery

Thanks for all the replies. After 4 weeks I am my recumbent bike about 20 min and able to walk around the block. But it seems like I just want to lay around all the time. This is frustrating. It was disheartening to hear that several have never lost the foot numbness. But thank you for the posts. My doctor did not order PT so I have no idea how I am doing. This forum is my only gauge. Thank you so much for your comments.

MBTexas,

Did you have a spinal with a femoral block? Just wondering. Some have had numbness problems for a while with that, but it has worn off. So there is hope still.

Sounds like you are doing wonderful if you are able to do your bike for 20 minutes and the walking is good too. The fatigue is very normal and will get better as you build up your strength and stamina.

Why didn't your doctor order PT??? This is unusual in the states, unless he thinks you don't need it because you are doing so well.

Time seems to be the greatest healer with this surgery, although none of us like to wait for results, we want them instant. Sounds like you are doing well for 4 weeks. Keep up the good work! Hope your foot numbness goes away soon.

Blessings,

Have you asked your doctor if he would agree to order a few sessions of PT for you? He might if you request it. You are doing well on the bike and walking, but a good therapist can show you additional exercises to do for strenth and balance that would help you in recovery.

The femoral block only numbs the front of the thigh and knee so one would have to have a spinal as well. Or a GA of course!

Hi - I had a spinal. I am able to move my toes forward and back though not quite as well as on my other foot. The symptoms are that the ball of my foot and heel are numb as well as a couple of toes. There is very intense pressure on the top of my foot as if it were bandaged too tight. I often feel sharp pains shoot through my foot and toes. I have also noticed a little puffiness at my ankle. Anyone else gone through this? Thanks to all who have responded.

Next time, hopefully there wont be but I would want a spinal. I had the nerve block, I wasnt given a choose. Alot of people seem to be happy with the spinal....

Hi MB, I had a tkr Feb12,09 I had no feeling in my leg or foot after surgery. I could not lift my foot or leg or move my toes. Three days after surgery I could move my toes up and down a little. The progress has been slow but most all the feeling has come back except I still feel like I have a string around my big toe and something stuck to the under side of my toes. The Dr. talked about a Nerve study, but we decided it would do no good at this point sence I was progressing even though it was slow. I can still not do stairs because the muscle is not strong enough (I guess) and the knee still feel unstabel. I also have a lot of swelling in my foot. I may not get the last bit of feeling back in my knee or foot but I'm still hopeful. You sound like you are doing good. keep moving but do not over do. That seems to add to the swelling. We all seem to want to heal really fast but our bodies have other ideas. take care
Joyce

Well I was sent for a nerve test and it appears 2 nerves were injured from surgery causing the foot numbness. Doc is saying that feeling should return in 3 to 6 months (sure hope so because wearing shoes is painful). I am coming up on week 6 post surgery it seems like I have slipped backwards. My knee is stiff and hurts more and my foot swells and still has lots of pain. I am still only riding a bike around 20 min and walking the dog around the house. I cannot figure out why I am not progressing and feeling like I am going backwards. Anyone else had this experience?

Mbtexas, I know it seems like things are moving very slowly for you, but in most cases recovery for knee replacement surgery is easily 6 months and many times a year or more. So at 6 weeks, you do need to try and give things some time to level out.

Did you discuss therapy with your doctor? Having someone show you some specific exercises to do on your own might be helpful for both your physical and mental state.

If you are still having swelling and pain, be sure you are on scheduled pain medication and anti-inflammants (either prescription or over-the-counter). When I had my knee surgery, I took prescription pain meds for 7 weeks and then used Aleve daily for months. Like you, I had pain and swelling for quite a while.

I think you'll feel more like you're progressing if you can have a therapist's help in evaluating where you are, setting some goals, and showing you how to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie