TKR Following My Instincts

Ok in an effort to keep the thread going: last few weeks have sucked in the mental aspect. I am not sleeping much doing mostly normal things during the day and my clothes were starting to get a little snug so Decided to add cardio exercise back in religiously. Swimming 4 days a week biking 20 min 5x week. Knee is good. Quad still tight I stretch 30-60 min every day. Walking is great 4th of July was a block party walked LOTS and didn’t start limping until late afternoon. Just bought 4 pairs of new shoes because all mine are uncomfortable (even new shoes of the same style I liked before surgery- so I have only been able to wear a blue pair of running shoes while I wait for the others to come which really limits my outfits. I am grateful this is my present concern.
Decided to push the limits a bit this morning (and I am tired of missing out on the summer fun) so I tested the knee. It works! (Please forgive the bathing suit photo. Sitting on the couch for 6+ months- 3 waiting for surgery and 3+ after- has not been kind to the waistline) glutes and Quads are grumpy- but the knee is way less painful than prior to surgery. Praying this progression continues. Slow and steady. Moral of the story- Keep going!!! It’s not over yet.

Attachments

• 493F0A55-6D7A-4546-A72F-9921EB6612D0.jpeg
    493F0A55-6D7A-4546-A72F-9921EB6612D0.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 97
It sounds like you have a good plan going. Just listen to your knee and if it starts fussing, rest it until it calms down.

Wow, you are amazing to be able to surf like that, so soon after surgery! :wowspring:

Next day update. Definitely some muscle (quad) soreness today- but knee still good. So stoked to cross this threshold. Back to ADL, stretching and icing today to keep the momentum going. Yeah for new knee! (14 weeks today!)

@Samsrf Can I ask what your flexion number is .... I think I am behind a bit and have to see my OS on the 25th (today is my 9 week anniversary with my new knee) and bending is still tight across the front of my knee :nah:

Reactions: shr
Wow! What an amazing recovery! Being able to do the things you love to do is the main reason for this surgery. It's not numbers that matter, it's function!

Can I ask what your flexion number is
@Cbet I honestly have no Idea. I would guess on a great day 120 maybe a little more, on a tight day 90. I have realized it changes all the time and I haven’t measured in almost 7 weeks when I was 105. I judge it by how the bike feels (I am at pre surgery seat height & sometimes it takes a solid 5 min to not hike my hip up to complete a rotation) and when I am on all fours stretching (cat/ cow pose with pillow under the knees/ shins) the numbers honestly kind of stressed me out esp. when I
“Wasn’t getting them” and kind of made me depressed. I realized that literally each day was different based on how much I rested/iced/ elevated or was active the day before. I know in the OR they got me to 130 and that is what my other leg measures as well. I would not worry about “being behind” I definitely was not at the 130 my surgeon wanted at 12 weeks but - I can function in my life with no pain and a little muscle soreness from increasing activity and I am SO grateful for that, so that’s what I gauge my progress and recovery by. My surgeon seems ok with it and I definitely am.

I realized that literally each day was different based on how much I rested/iced/ elevated or was active the day before.
@Cbet This is exactly why I wonder why there is so much pressure to be a certain number, and by a certain date. And the tool they use to measure is not an exact science. I doubt that every PT, or even the same PT each time, holds it in the exact same place each time they measure.

The ROM number is just a guideline for one aspect of recovery.
I can function in my life with no pain and a little muscle soreness from increasing activity and I am SO grateful for that, so that’s what I gauge my progress and recovery by.
@Samsrf Well done!

@Jockette I think my worry is that if I am not where my surgeon thinks I should be that he will delay my right TKR.

@Jockette I think my worry is that if I am not where my surgeon thinks I should be that he will delay my right TKR.
I can understand that. I was TOTALLY worried that I “didn’t get there” so I went in with a plan. After I had seen the nurse and PA, I saw the surgeon. He was looking at the chart and I saw him take a deep breath. In that pause I said “ I just want to thank you so much. It was so many years of decline when I should have been in the prime of my body and for the first time in 8 years I am getting better and can function in normal life without pain. And what I do feel is just part of the healing process so I listen too my body and don’t push too hard. When I do it sets me back. I am SO HAPPY with my new knee and I know it will just keep getting better, my leg will get stronger and more flexible.”
He pretty much had nothing to say after that “Keep stretching & work on quad holds every day to strengthen those so you don’t get tendinitis” and showed me a kneeling stretch and said see you at the 6month check where we will X-ray to check out the bone growth (I had some grafts and a cementless implant). Remember : THIS IS YOUR BODY. Since no two knees are the same I would think the progress of 1 wouldn’t affect the other (unless there was a medical reason)

Now, that was a great offensive move! There was nothing he could say against that. A very smart move!

Hey there, Any cyclists out there post TKR just wondering how you feel about using clipless pedals post TKR? If you went back, how long did it take? How did you feel about it? Etc. Any advice is appreciated. I rode clipped in on the peloton but leave my shoes attached. I have ridden the beach cruiser with flat pedals… just looking forward to trying the fast bike but not sure if I should switch out pedals first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely was not at the 130 my surgeon wanted at 12 weeks but - I can function in my life with no pain and a little muscle soreness from increasing activity and I am SO grateful for that
Don't worry, you will get there! I'm continuing to get more ROM as the months go by. Sometimes it's preceded by some stiffness and soreness and then all of a sudden I notice that is gone and I can bend my knee a little more than before.

Hey there, Any cyclists out there post TKR just wondering how you feel about using clipless pedals post TKR? If you went back, how long did it take? How did you feel about it? Etc. Any advice is appreciated. I rode clipped in on the peloton but leave my shoes attached. I have ridden the beach cruiser with flat pedals… just looking forward to trying the fast bike but not sure if I should switch out pedals first.
Yes you will go back to clipless. Judge it by whether it hurts to twist out or not; if it hurts, wait.

I had to adjust completely my pedal set up. My knees & legs were straight post BTKR but my body still wanted to twist in compensation as it had to pre-op. I had to train myself to pedal straight -- riding at 10mph and 50rpm going 'one-two-one-two', consciously pedalling. Took a week or so of 30-min rides to teach the body what was new!

Although I have tuned up my road bike - I decided not yet ready for clipless @Roy Gardiner - but it will come! Just completed an 8 mile ride on the beach cruiser flat bike path with a nasty head wind out but flew on the way back. Felt so good!!!
I will be 17 weeks post op Thursday and my knee is great and getting better. Feels strong and stable - to the point I have take a bump and caught myself with non of those sharp week pains prior to surgery. Still doing balance exercises, core strength, and stretching a ton some Yoga. Stairs up and down “normal” are getting easier. Still “stiff” days and I finally have been able to walk at a normal speed. Retraining the gait has been the WORST and slowed me down so much- but looking at the silver lining. I’ve decided to Keep Going! Getting stronger, stretching and headed on the way to getting my life back after being knee impaired for 8 years. So grateful.

Hey @Samsrf, I'm glad you're doing so well and letting your knee be the boss. You're at that great time in recovery where the wins outweigh the losses in this surgery, topped with far less pain than in the past.

@hawk2go Yes! It is amazing. Just did a road trip up the coast with hiking and swimming and lots of driving aquariums etc .… taking a few days rest after that week but it was SO worth it. Bonus- ice machine at night is like white noise to block out noisy hotels.

Attachments

• FAC12F99-C318-4AA3-84E9-9A480DD9A361.jpeg
    FAC12F99-C318-4AA3-84E9-9A480DD9A361.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 75
  • A58382C3-420D-460B-BE02-8EFD74DE8C05.jpeg
    A58382C3-420D-460B-BE02-8EFD74DE8C05.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 80
Those are challenging terrains. At only 3 months out, I'd say you're winning. :yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks