Flying after total knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsq22

Hello everyone,,I'm hoping that maybe someone can answer an inportant question or at least give their views/experiences.
I'm due to have a total knee replacement at the end of this month(Nov) and am booked to go on holiday on 10th March 2010 - flying time of approx 3 1/2 hrs. Would that be too early to fly after this operation or what do you recommend eg:- inflight excersises.I'd be most grateful and thank you all before I even get any replies.. John ( mid 50's )

Hello John,
It is so nice to meet you. Your OS should be able to tell you when you can fly. But our Jo will also be able to help you. She will be on soon. Or Jamie will be on and she can also help you out.

That should be plenty of recup time but be smart, call your OS and ask HIM!!! If you get up and stretch during the flight, you should be fine! He may make you wear those TEDS compression stockings! (:)0)

I had a friend that flew to Vegas from Indiana 14 weeks after her surgery and she had both knees done. She had no problems at all. She was able to get up and walk and stretch. Have a fun and safe flight....but ask your OS first.

Hi John i think you will be fine as well but make sure with you os and ive heard people on here jst get up and walked around ......good luck to you..........)

John
That should be long enough out and you should have no problem. Just get up and walk up and down the isle so you do not let the knee get stiff. I went on a 12 hr car ride when I was 3 months out and did great.

What the others have said - plus the appropriate exercises they will teach you in your rehab - have a good hols!

I flew to Hawaii for 7 hours about 5 months after my second hip replacement last year. It was a nice reward for my wife and myself for all the work involved in recovery. The new hips were fine, but my bad knee held me back somewhat. I did arrange for a wheel chair in the airport which was very helpful - especially getting through security. In the US, the security people do take you aside and do a thorough search. It was nice to have someone else to collect bags, shoes etc. going through the x-ray while you are tied up with security doing the search. The actual airplane trip was fine, although I did try to get up several times and walk the aisle. We also blew all my frequent flyer miles and flew first class which was nice.
Doug

This thread is of great interest to me because I had BTKR in late June and am flying for the first time one week from today. I am attending a conference for work. It is only a couple of hour flight with an equally long drive to the airport. I am happy to hear the responses to your post and will let you know how I manage.

John I flew to Prague from NYC (about 8 hours in the plane) a little over 4 months after my TKR. My doc said then I could have flown much sooner -- the only danger is blood clots and after the first 2 weeks that danger diminishes greatly. I wore TEDS (stockings) for the first 6 weeks on doc's orders and I bought knee high TEDS for my plane trip to Prague and put them on in the plane bathroom just before take off. (Something someone on this forum suggested). I moved around a lot and did a lot of bending and ankle pumps and turns etc and walking in the aisle. I was fine and not even stiff when I got off the plane in the AM. I flew back 2 months later without the TEDS. So by all means ask your doc because they all have different protocols -- but you should be fine for flying by March... Good luck with the surgery!!!

Hi John, I have been in Houston this week, interviewing three very prominent orthopedic surgeons. I live out of the country and will be able to be here only one month one week for pre-op tests and classes and ...three weeks for the surgery and recovery before flying home to Mexico.
Although the flight is only two hours, as you know the wait at the airport is as long, not to mention trips to and from the airports.
All three surgeons assured me that it would be fine to fly home in the three weeks.
Of course, barring any complications. They said to do the same as others here have said.....walk around, stretch yourself, do the ankle turns and flexes..drink water. So, three weeks. Amazing.
I will get a final check up and visit with my doctor right before leaving. Maybe it would help if you just got a little "check up" right before you went on your trip. Have a great time. You will have deserved it.
Marquesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin